“A nice trip along the lake”

Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad
Ranked #4 of 24 things to do in Meredith
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Ride to The Weirs from Meredith during Bike Week. Easy, fun, and you are in the heart of the action upon arrival at The Weirs.

1  Thank ABBNH
"sandwich"
"points of interest"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I went just at the right time to see the floriage. The journey took 2 hours and it went in no time. If you like the beautiful view of the lake then I suggest you sitting on the left hand side if facing forward as the view on your right will be line of gorgeous homes. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed this scenic ride and all agreed that it's our best scenic railroad trip we've ever taken.

2  Thank SandyBangkok
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We spent our 22nd anniversary on the Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad dinner train. The turkey dinner was Harts Turkey farm and it was really excellent. We had these three kids who were the hosts of the car. Were they professional-no but they were very nice and a lot of fun. It would have been nice if they were more educated about the area but my husband and I had a very enjoyable night around nice people and had a lot of laughs. If you are looking for a beautiful scenic railroad trip I wouldn't recommend this one. The weather wasn't the greatest but all we did was go through neighborhoods so there were no real views.

2  Thank Robyn P
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We took the evening train that served the Harts traditional turkey dinner. It was awesome, they served and carved the turkey right at your table. Beautiful views of Lake Winnipesaukee. Would recommend sitting on the left side of the train which is the one that is riverside for the whole trip.

2  Thank Brenda M
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We just took our daughter, son-in-law and three children (ages 9, 7, and 5) on this train ride and it was great. These kids really enjoy trains but haven't had many opportunities to ride one. We took the 2-hour ride and really enjoyed it. The train passes right along the lake shore and there are many scenic views along the way, as well as some interesting homes. The only thing that could have made it nicer, in my opinion, would be if there had been some commentary as to what specifically we were seeing en route. My only complaint is that although it is stated over and over that passengers must stay seated, there was a large extended family whose kids were running through the various cars and no attempt was made to control them. That made the trip less enjoyable.

The staff was great, friendly and helpful, starting with the ladies at the ticket booth and continuing with the conductor and other train staff.

If you go in the fall, I highly recommend getting tickets in advance for the 2-hour ride, as they do sell out. If you are in or near Meredith, I suggest getting the tickets in person. If you purchase tickets online, there is a $12 handling fee. We chose to avoid that by going to Meredith and paying for the tickets the day before.