“Comfortable Late Summer Getaway”

Church Landing at Mill Falls
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Meredith
Owen Sound, Canada
“Comfortable Late Summer Getaway”
Reviewed 25 September 2008

Stayed here with my husband and 2 kids for a 2 day late summer getaway. When we arrived a bit early, the staff was very apologetic that they could not accommodate our unexpectedly early arrival, but got our room ready quickly. Staff were small town friendly and helpful when we were looking for attractions to entertain the kids .

The room was luxurious and spotless. The beds were so obscenely pouffy that a stool was required for my little one to hop in bed. Beds and pillows were comfy. TV was present, but discreetly hidden in a cabinet, to preserve the "lodge" look of the room. My only complaint about the room is that it was a bit dark, but that goes with the lodge theme to a certain extent.

Indoor and outdoor hottubs, and inside/outside pool were perfect. The lake was icy but swimmable.

Continental breakfast was included in our room rate, and was fresh and perfectly adequate. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but did have dinner at a banquet and it was very good.

The nearby shopping village in Meredith was good for a half day's shopping (touristy). Nearby Weir's beach is a tradtional old style resort with boardwalks and ancient arcades. Worth a stop.

I can't imagine that I will be in this part of the US any time again soon, but if I were, I would happily return to this resort.

• Liked — Great common areas.
  • Disliked — Rooms were a bit dark.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Dr.Mom67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Rockville, MD
Reviewed 29 July 2008

This hotel is outstanding and has a truly beautiful setting. The hotel is relatively new (4 yrs) and is situated on Lake Winnepesaukee. The grounds of the hotel are unbeatable. The view from our room was breath-taking (reminded me a bit of the view from Chateau Lake Louise).

Our room was fantastic. It faced the landscaped grounds & the lake. Had large french doors opening to a small, but adequate balcony. The balcony had 2 rockers and a table.

The room had a built-in tv, fireplace, 2 large comfy chairs & ottoman, desk, huge bed (with step to get up) with featherbed on top, small granite coffee bar area. The bathroom was new, great - granite counters. The only criticism I have of this hotel is the very basic toiletries that they provide. They just aren't up to par with the rest of this hotel.

The common areas of the hotel are fabulous - great lobby with large fireplace and sofas. Lots of other seating areas for playing checkers & chess (both provided), lounging, reading the paper (provided). There are large sofa benches under the large picture windows which look out onto the grounds & lake. There is complimentary hot beverages at all times another area of the lobby. There is one computer in the lobby for guest use.

Aside from the beautiful lake-front setting, the grounds are outstanding & extensively landscaped both in front & back of the hotel. Walking around the grounds is a treat & there is seating all over the place. In the back, there are many pairs of white Adirondak chairs perched on the edge of the lake, overlooking the water. The front of the hotel is beautifully landscaped as well. In the evening, we sat in rockers on the front porch & talked. The fragrance of the flowers nearby is heavenly.

Breakfast is included with the room. It consists of cereal, delicious scones & other breads (e.g., bagels), coffee, juice. There is a restaurant in the hotel that we did not go to; instead, we walked along the boardwalk and ate at the outdoor restaurant next door, Town Docks.

The staff was excellent.

• Liked — It is absolutely beautiful
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank safegal
Halifax, NS
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights and were extremely surprised by this Hotel!!

The hotel is well located, bordering the Lake. The decor inside is what makes this hotel so spectacular!! It feels like a cabin, bordering a lake. White Birch is everywhere!!! And the decor is a mix of Snow shoes, skis, skates, etc. I loved every public room that I've seen!! The bar and restaurant next door to the bar has an excellent view of the Lake. The hotel is at the beggining of the busy road strip and there is a Christmas shop right next door.

The hotel has an indoor/outdoor pool that is year round. The indoor pool has a little opening to go outside. Reminds me of a Fairmont Hotel set up. The outside area has a fireplace set-up and they light it up at night.

We were booked in a suite and what a good first impression did we get!!! The room was HUGE!!! A long corridor with a closet was at the entrance, then the room with a very comfortable king size bed (made of birch), fireplace, sitting area with 1 rocking chair, 1 comfy chair and a sofa, a desk and the balcony (small but adequate) was overlooking the Lake with 2 chairs and 1 table. The bathroom had a Jacuzzi with a seperate shower area and the bathroom was fairly large as well. To this date, this is my favorite room of all hotels I've stayed in (and I've travelled quite a bit!!).

The hotel has a boardwalk that will bring you from one part of the Mill Falls to the next (the complexe is quite large, with 3 Inns, 7 Restaurants and several bars). We ate at Lagos (Italian restaurant) and the food was excellent!! The property has a gazeebo bordering the lake that would make for an excellent Wedding. They also rent Kayaks but am unaware of the price.

I really liked my stay at this hotel and would definately return!! This is an excellent spot for a romantic getaway.

• Liked — The room decor
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mdma03
montreal
Reviewed 17 June 2008

My wife and I stayed at Church Landing for two nights at the beginning of June. Since we stayed there from Sunday to Tuesday, the hotel was very quiet especially since the busy summer season had not yet begun.

The property is located right off the main street at the beginning of town. Since we were there off season, there was not much traffic however I could see this being very different in a few weeks time.

When I made the reservations by calling the hotel, I was able to receive the special offer that they ran for the month of May. As a result, I was promised a lake front room with balcony for about $100 less than the regular price. Upon check-in, I asked if we could get a free room upgrade since the hotel was not busy. The woman at the front desk agreed and said we would be staying in a room that was somewhat bigger. What an understatement! We were given one of the largest suites in the hotel which normally goes for over $400 per night (we paid a little more than half of that).

The room, located on the top floor of the hotel, was very spacious with a high ceiling, huge king size bed, sofa bed, desk, separate eating area, gas fireplace, large LCD TV and balcony.

The balcony was large enough for two people to sit and to view the outside grounds, Meredith Bay and other nearby properties.

The bed was high off the ground and very comfortable. The linens were of good quality but surprisingly it did not include a quality duvet.

The bathroom was also large with a jacuzzi and separate shower. The shower was quite small with the walls made of plastic and the door to it very flimsy (not what I would expect in an expensive suite). Outside of the bathroom was a sink with bottled water and extra counter space.

The common areas inside and outside of the hotel were beautiful and perfect to sit and relax by reading a book and sipping a glass of wine.

There is free wireless internet service both inside and outside of the hotel.

The indoor/outdoor pool was quite small but sufficient for taking a quick dip. There is also an outdoor jacuzzi near the pool.

We ate the continental breakfast that was included as part of the room rate. It consisted of various beverages (juice, milk,coffee, tea and hot chocolate), cold cereal, fresh fruit, scones, muffins, toast and jam.

Our last day, we walked around the town and browsed through the various shops. They are the standard kind of stores catering to tourists but pleasant enough to browse through.

For dinner, I would recommend the Canoe restaurant. It is a short drive from the hotel and it serves excellent food in a casual atmosphere.

Overall, we had a most enjoyable time at Church Landing. It provided us with the quiet relaxing getaway that we were looking for at the time.

• Liked — spaciousness of the suite
  • Disliked — lack of a quality duvet
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank SirTeddy
Boston
Reviewed 27 May 2008

Booked our hotel with Travelzoo promotion. Had a wonderful winter stay with a georgous room. Fireplace, hot tub, french doors opening up to the lake! And a giant bed about four feet off the ground. My only complaint was that the bed cover wasn't a soft blanket. You have this incredible down bed, and a thin, itchy duvet without anything in it.

We planned on going out for dinner, but the room was so nice that we ordered room service instead. This property is 5 star!

We walked around the town shops, too. They were quaint, but there wasn't too much to do on a winter day.

We would definitely stay here again...perhaps in the summer.

• Liked — The log cabin decor throughout the property.
  • Disliked — Blankets on the bed.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BostonCherBear
Seabrook, NH
Reviewed 7 April 2008

This was the best weekend I've had in a long time. Church Landing was wonderful. It was so relaxing. Our room (366) was hugh with patio doors looking out to the lake, a fireplace & whirlpool tub. Service was wonderful from the minute we checked in. The pool was great, you can swim right outside without getting out of the pool! . We had Sunday Jazz brunch in the Lake house restaurant. Very nice spread. My only dissapointment was, our deck was right above the outside jacuzzi & that got very noisy at different times of the day & night.
I would stay here again.

• Liked — The ambiance, very romantic
  • Disliked — to many people getting very loud in the outside jacuzzi
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mamme
Winchester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 January 2008

We had our wedding reception at Church Landing in May of 2007. Several of our friends and family members stayed at either Church Landing or the other Mill Falls hotels. I have not heard a single complaint about the hotel form any who attended. You immediately get a feel for Church Landing when you walk in the main lobby. The large fire place, exposed log beam, and warm ambience give the hotel a rustic but elegant charm that is unique. I saw several of the rooms at Mill Falls. I had the opportunity to stay in two rooms, one the night before the wedding and honeymoon suite the night of the wedding, and see the rooms my family members were staying in as well. Overall the rooms are great. All the rooms have a view of the water and all that I saw had a balcony. The bathrooms are spacious and in the suites have two people Jacuzzi. The beds all have unique nature wood designs, warm down comforters, and more pillows than are every necessary. The larger rooms have couches and comfortable chairs surrounding the fire place.
In late spring it is not too crowded and the weather is comfortable (warm and sunny days very cool at night). We had visited in the winter to make some of our plans and I was amazed at the number of people ice fishing and other winter sports going on. In the summer it is close to Weir beach and the highway without being too busy of an area that it is located.
For those people interested in planning a weeding at Church Landing it was a great time. The ball room is a good size with a fireplace at one end with book cases to the side that we set up our table in front of and a small area to the far end that let the DJ to be set back from the room a little allowing more space for the dance floor. The bar set up outside of the main room was well situated for the space and flow of people. The service was quick and without a hitch. The only draw back is the restaurant upstairs has only one bathroom so customer go downstairs and use the same bathrooms located off a hall near the function room. Something my mother-in-law decorated the bathroom with was taken even before the reception started.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jmc325
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meredith
Mill Falls at the Lake
#2 of 6 in Meredith
Ballard House Inn
Ballard House Inn
#1 of 6 in Meredith

Been to Church Landing at Mill Falls? Share your experiences!