“History, great food, super-friendly owners”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Nutmeg Inn

Nutmeg Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Meredith B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“History, great food, super-friendly owners”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

There is something about Mark and Lynne that fits perfectly with their 1763 Nutmeg Inn: they are warm, caring, trusting, and extremely welcoming. The kind of people you see less and less in our busy city life. No wonder they have traded their own busy lives in the city for this new life closer to nature... human nature included.
The Nutmeg Inn is a wonderful place to stay. It's very clean, charming and historical (come down to read by the fireplace!), the beds are very comfortable (at least ours was), and the breakfast... that deserves a whole chapter. Mark and Lynne went out of their way to make us feel at home. Home-made bread came to the table straight from the oven, home-made granola was a real treat (get the recipe!), omelets with sausage for my wife; they even cooked specially for me, as I don't eat eggs or meat: those baked apples were just great!
We came for a 2nd-house hunting trip, but now we are seriously thinking if that makes sense, after having experienced Mark and Lynne's hospitality. Come, and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

The main house is cozy, wonderfully old with a varied history. Morning coffee by the fireplace is not to be missed, nor is evening billiards with mulled cider and fellow guests. Mark & Lynne are welcoming hosts and we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed February 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Beautiful, historic home with great amenities and warm, personable owner. I was there on business, but my stay at the inn felt like a vacation. I can't wait to go back! I arrived during a nor'easter and abandoned my car in the parking lot when I arrived, late in the day. What a treat to find it all plowed/shoveled out when I left early the next morning. The house is over 200 years old and the owner indulged my curiosity about its history, telling all the very interesting details. This is a wonderful place to stay - for business or a vacation!

Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were on our honeymoon, Bill and I, we checked it out before booking and most definitely we're glad we stayed because the owners have great pride and love for what they do and it shows ... Especially the food (homemade right down to the bread) they should have their pictures displayed in the dictionary next to the word hospitality .... And no bill and I aren't laying it on too thick at all they made our stay most memorable and the rooms were so cozy and comfy bed too! we'll defiantly be back.

• Stayed February 2014
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed at the Nutmeg Inn at the beginning of October during our honeymoon road trip of New England. After reading a dubious website claiming the Nutmeg Inn is haunted, I'm embarrassed to say my wife and I were initially reluctant to stay here. However, we are certainly glad we did as the Nutmeg Inn has to be one of the most comfortable, relaxing places we have ever stayed. Upon arrival, the owner, Mark, took our bags and gave us a tour of this historic 18th century inn before showing us to our room. We stayed in the Clove room, which is part of the original house and has its own wood burning fireplace, private bathroom and secret passage to the Underground Railroad! (Mark will tell you all about it).

The weather wasn't very good during our stay but this meant we could spend a lot of our time relaxing by the log fire, playing Scrabble or pool, making use of the gym (yeah right!) and helping ourselves to complimentary home-made treats and drinks from the guest kitchen. Bliss. Breakfasts at the Nutmeg Inn are superb and different every day. If you are looking for something to eat nearby, we can recommend Harts Turkey Farm Restaurant, just outside of Meredith. (Surprisingly, turkey is not the only thing on the menu and the staff are incredibly friendly). Overall, the Nutmeg Inn is a fantastic place to stay and a great base for exploring the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. Beautiful surroundings, a warm and welcoming host, and not a spook in sight!

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the house include cosy wood burning fireplaces.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

I was looking for a venue that would lend itself to a collaborative and creative winter meeting for my five-person team and the Nutmeg Inn exceeded all of my expectations! The first floor is well suited and adaptable for presentations, flipcharting, and comfortable conversation. The pool table was perfect for evening decompression. We had no issues with Wifi or cell service during our time at the Nutmeg. Breakfasts were beyond compare and Mark was fine with ordering in for lunch and dinner. This, coupled with bringing our own adult beverages, helped keep the overall costs down. We would go there again and/or recommend it to our colleagues any time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

My Fiance and I came to the Nutmeg Inn for one Saturday night. We arrived a little later than expected. It was getting dark and like everywhere this year, the parking lot was covered in ice. Mark was at our car before we knew it, helping us bring in our things and making sure all was well. Once inside this beautiful Inn, we were offered a drink and Lynne came out to say hello and inquire about food allergies and such. Before I knew it, she had switched out the baked goods for a wonderful cheese tray because we mentioned that we were not partial to sweets. I love to cook and was welcomed into their kitchen for a chat while my fiance sat by the stunning fireplace looking for a place to have dinner. Mark and Lynne recommended a place nearby and we took their advice. It was wonderful as well.
Breakfast was 4 courses and was simply wonderful. The freshly baked bread was a nice treat and I loved the home made granola. The cornbread breakfast casserole was also terrific as was the fruit compote. Yup - 4 courses. If we are back in Meredith, we will definitely return. Maybe in the summer, though I have to say it was a treat to have a fire in our bedroom on a cold January night.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meredith
Church Landing at Mill Falls
#3 of 6 in Meredith
Sutton House Bed & Breakfast
Sutton House Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 3 in Center Harbor

Been to Nutmeg Inn? Share your experiences!