“Comfortable Friendly Setting, Great Variety of Menu, Good Coffee”
Review of Union Street Grill

Union Street Grill
Ranked #7 of 61 Restaurants in Milford
Cuisines: American
Amherst, New Hampshire, United States
“Comfortable Friendly Setting, Great Variety of Menu, Good Coffee”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is a small set-up, with a good amount of on street parking adjacent. I had two recent visits, both times there was an obvious mix of locals and people from outside of the area. Upon entering a prompt and warm greeting was issued. The atmosphere is warm and sunny on the inside, most of the available nooks and crannies and wall space have been taken over with colorful items. One nice touch is a Norman Rockwell style poster, showing the owner, Kevin, chatting with a local Police Officer and a young boy. In a previous review I commented on how so much of the food offerings seem to have been created with more of a focus on creating unusual presentations. My experiences this time found that the menu and Specials were a bit more mainstream, with creative twists adding in unusual items that enhanced the presentation. Breakfast available all day, the Menu has something for everyone, basic food items as well as plates which allow the kitchen to "knock your socks off". Impressive sounding plates, which look great and deliver as promised. All in a "you are at home as soon as you walk in the door". The folks who work here are genuine in their warm greeting and obviously enjoy meeting the needs of their customers. A very real plus for me is that the house coffee is "Green Mountain" a New England company, coffee which tastes great "black". Last week I stopped in just before Noon, my companion ordered the "Shepherds Pie", on the menu the description indicates that it is made with a "Potato Pancake", our experience was that it was made with mashed potatoes which appeared to have been created using red potatoes just made for the dish. My companion has a real hunger for Shepherds Pie and has sampled the dish in Bavaria, Ireland, Canada, and all over the USA, her comment was that this was one of the best she has experienced. On that visit I ordered the "Jack Daniels BBQ Pork, Jalapeno Cheddar Potato Pancake and a Grilled Biscuit". What I received was a plate with pulled pork covered by the BBQ sauce, which had been grilled enough to slightly caramelize and crisp up the meat on the bottom, which added a nice flavor and texture component to the dish. The "potato pancake" appeared to be mashed potatoes, freshly made for the dish, slightly crusty on the bottom, with the cheese on top and just enough jalapeno to add "kick". The grilled biscuit was a nice touch, adding an additional textural aspect. Today I stopped in to have something from their Breakfast Menu, but once I read the Specials Board I changed my mind and ordered the "Charbroiled Pepperoni, Fresh Basil Asiago Burger", my choice of sides was the sweet potato fries. The Pepperoni was lightly grilled, there was a good amount of cheese and Basil on the burger, the bun had a nice flavor profile, and the burger balanced the flavor profile. It was a great choice, I will just have to wait until next time to sample the Breakfast menu. The Bottom Line is that this is a place to go if you want to be treated as if you, the customer, are valued. Also, this is a place that allows you the opportunity to experience creative presentations which respect the way, that properly combined, a plate of food can be greater than the sum of the individual ingredients.

• Visited March 2014

“Neighborhood hangout”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

It's like the Cheers Bar. Everyone talks to everyone. Good food. Fast service. Friendly and comfortable. You feel at home the second you walk in.

• Visited March 2014
Milford, New Hampshire
“Another winner on Milford's Oval”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We recently ate here on a busy Sunday afternoon. When we walked in, I think every single person working there greeted us within 10 seconds. They were very attentive the whole time we were there.

One of the things I found odd was that on the weekends, the fryer is not in operation. This limits the choices quite a bit. The other strange thing was that all of their "freshly made" options are also not available on weekends. I was kind of bummed by that, they all sounded very tasty.

With all of the strange menu anomalies aside, the food and service were very good. My wife had a bison cheese burger which she thoroughly enjoyed. Since there are no fries on weekends, she got homefries from the griddle instead - such a good choice. I had pancakes, with sides of bacon and home fries. Pancakes and bacon were far above average, all done properly. The homefries, though, were insanely good. They are by far the best homefries on the Oval in Milford. I could east just an entire plate of them and be happy. The house coffee was pretty good too.

I wish I could make it in during the week, but I work far away and am never home during the day. The other menu choices sound great but I can't speak for them. Hopefully Union Street Grill may make this stuff available for us weekend visitors some time soon.

Please note that they close somewhat early on Sundays at 12:30.

• Visited January 2014
“local hang out”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

There's almost always someone there that I know
The food is on the table before you know it
small but I love to stop there for berakfast

Visited September 2013
Milford NH
“if your not a regular you dont matter”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

or at least thats how i felt when i was there a few weeks ago, This breakfast place has been on the oval for many years and there fore has many regulars which makes it easy to be ignored when you arent spending breakfast with the staff every morning, other than that food was decent, coffee was good and i am pretty sure they are the only breakfast place in Milford that serves eggs Benny, so i will probably be back.

Visited April 2013