“Great authentic Mexican food”
Review of El Mariachi

El Mariachi
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: Zip Code 03254
Moultonborough, New Hampshire
“Great authentic Mexican food”
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

The food is terrific. Family owned and owner often does the cooking. Same owners as El Centenario in Wolfeboro.

• Visited October 2013

Wallingford, Pennsylvania
“Really good Mexican food”
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

The food here was really good. The portions are huge. The staff was helpful. The decor was sort of kitschy Mexican. The view from the enormous front window - New Hampshire mountains - was beautiful. A winner of a restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
Beaufort, South Carolina, United States
“Mucho $$”
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

I currently live in the south and was up visiting my folks in Moultonboro and we went here. In my current town, there are literally SIX Mexican restaurants--and this place here is great. Just really, really good food. Guacamole tasted fresh, huge portions, refried beans were hot and steaming, as if freshly prepared, unlike everywhere else I've been where it tastes like it was just stirred and scooped from a huge vat that had been sitting out since the night prior. Even the salsa that came to the table was very, very good. Hot and sweet at the same time.
Julie I believe her name was was our server (there were eight of us--my parents, my sister, myself and my four kids; not the easiest table to have as you can imagine) and she was just splendid, always with a stunning smile on her face.
When my dad said we were going for Mexican, I immediately wanted a margarita. I love em. Can't help it. And since my dad was picking up the tab, I just could not bring myself to order one--$9.95 for a house margarita!! Yikes!!
Even the beers were running at five dollars a pop, let me tell you, this place was not cheap, our bill was north of $125, but the food was so definitely worth it, as well as the great service. But the DRINKS!! Those prices are just pua

2 Thank PatrickJD84
Gorham, New Hampshire
“I should have ordered the chicken fingers!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I am not a huge fan of Mexican as I have the "cilantro=dish soap syndrome" but I know my husband loves it so I figured we would stop on our way home. Our server seemed new and was helpful in finding a dish that would work for me. I ordered the paella which sounded good and I figured for $23 it must have a good amount of seafood in it. Was I wrong. It had 2 scallops, 2 shrimp,4 small and rubberized calamari, 3 very fishy mussels and a piece of "fishy" fish. Lots of saffron and onions. The rice was served on the side, I am not sure if this is standard or they did this since I was hesitant on the amount of cilantro that it may have contained. Soda is $2.25 per glass (which was full of ice-no free refills). Hubby had Cochinitas pibil - a pork taco for $16. It was ok, not a lot of flavor and certainly overpriced for what you got. I had asked for another coke (I wouldn't have done so had I know the price) and after reminding our waiter about it several minutes later, it probably would have been forgotten. My husband also asked to try the mole sauce and that never showed up. To top things off, a waitress was delivering chips and salsa to a neighboring table and she dropped it on the floor....salsa flew everywhere and some landed on my clothing. She apologized and offered seltzer to clean it up. After some cleaning, I hoped I got the bulk of it out of my clothes. I kind of expected an offering of dessert or something to make up for spending my mealtime doing laundry. Nothing. Our waiter didn't even offer us dessert...he just dropped the $49 check on our table while my husband was still eating his dinner. Ugh.....we will NEVER return.

Belmont, New Hampshire
“Good food - needs exhaust fan”
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

Went to this restaurant on the recommendation of friends. We were not disappointed, the food was great. There were four of us and we thought the total bill was very reasonable, so I don't understand complaints about prices. Our dining partners spend their winters just a few miles from the Mexican border and they thought the mole sauce was the best they had ever tasted. The service was friendly, accurate and quick.

The sizzling fajitas were coming out of the kitchen so fast that there was a cloud of steam and smoke hanging in the dining room. They need a more powerful exhaust fan to keep the air clear. The decor is pretty cheesy but who can argue with good food. I especially enjoyed the table side preparation of the guacamole was fun to watch and resulted in some very fresh and delicious guacamole.

The place is pretty small so you should think about calling a head for reservations before going during busy times. I will definitely put this on my list of places to visit regularly.