“Where was the warm welcome?”
Review of Village Kitchen

Village Kitchen
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
South Windsor, Connecticut
“Where was the warm welcome?”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I am a frequent visitor to this area and know may people who have reported enjoying the "down home" food and atmosphere at this restaurant. However, I was rather disappointed. I ordered a caesar salad with grilled chicken (pretty standard fare at most restaurants) and it was, frankly, the worse caesar salad I had ever eaten. The chicken was extremely dry and the dressing was rather tasteless. I was also less than impressed with the service. Although I realize that it was not trying to be a particularly sophisticated establishment, I frankly felt as though the meals were almost thrown at us! Perhaps it was just a bad day for the chef and waitress, but as a result of this experience I have no interest in returning.

• Visited July 2013

Shoreham, New York
“Was if I was at HOME ! UPDATE !”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

UPDATE ! Village Kitchen is now known as Country Cookin" while driving along Rt25 noticed the sign "Special Today- Yankee Pot Roast" passed by and started thinking "That doesn't sound all that bad for dinner" and we were very glad we turned around.Excellent home cookin for sure ! A very rustic restaurant with nice mountain views,very friendly and helpful staff. They had a nice overall menu but we opted with the "SPECIAL", the wife had ham split pea soup which she raved about myself I shared tasty lightly battered onion rings with her. Pot roast was very tender and tasty with excellent gravy. We put an advanced order for dessert of strawberry pie which our waitress advised us was going fast so she arranged to reserve us the last two slices. What a choice, thick filling of strawberries and a light crust. It appeared to be a local favorite since mostly everybody knew each other by name as well as orders. It also appears that they have different nightly specials. We highly recommend this country spot that has no real big frills just good down home cookin.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Vacalot
Moultonborough
“Good solid food at great prices”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

nothing fancy about this place, but the food is good. You will have to wait in line to get in during tourist season. Cash only. Most people think the place is called "Country Cookin", because that is what their sign says. The owner's politics leave something to be desired, but you are not there to eat words and ideas.

Visited April 2013
Hollis, New Hampshire
“Awesome staff, fresh, excellent great value fair.”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Happy friendly staff who have a flair for NH HUMOR. The food is very fresh and excellent. Good value for the money. Can't beat the homemade desserts. Best pancakes and belgium waffles ever. Love the Friday fish fry. Look forward to going back.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Bea T
Boston, Massachusetts
“Rude Staff”
Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

I have been to this place 3 times now and although the food is a good value, the staff is very rude. The hostess in particular was very rude.

4 Thank Thatguy2000