“Lovely hotel, disappointing spa, bad customer service.”

Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Castle
“Lovely hotel, disappointing spa, bad customer service.”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Lovely hotel with really good food. My disappointing experience is mainly centered around the spa and it's management. To start off I was shown to the ladies locker room which is functional but by no means luxurious as suggested by its price. In one bathroom stall there was blood on the floor. Yuck!!! The flip flops i was given to wear were very obviously dirty and I checked numerous lockers finding the same used dirty flip flops. I went to use the steam room which was not really working at all, it just barely got warm and just moistened the air. My service was a facial which was a good experience. I returned to the locker room and was just about to step in the shower when the fire alarm went off! Unfortunate, but these things happen. We were all ushered out into the cold late October weather, wearing just our bathrobes and flip flops. The general staff were very courteous in trying to make sure we all kept as warm as possible offering us extra towels to stay warm. After waiting for the fire department to give the all clear we were eventually allowed back in and my spa experience was over. At check out I was told that because I received my whole service I was not going to be compensated. When I explained it is about the whole spa experience the lady at the counter left to speak to management. She returned after quite some time and very disappointingly gave me a coupon for an appetizer at the bar. Very generous!?! This staff had the opportunity to make things right from a bad experience and the management are more obviously focused on the bottom line than good customer service. I would not recommend anyone take advantage of the spa whilst they are at this hotel and it certainly does not warrant a visit on its own. I think a better experience would be had at one of the spas in town.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Rhimreid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here w/ my Mother, Sister and Aunt for a fun spa day and overnight. The Salt bar was nice. Service was ridiculously slow and the wine list is meager. Our room had a beautiful view of the bay and golf course. Room and bath were good sized for 2 people. But no snacks, soda water or booze in our mini bar. Nada. Strange. My facial at the spa was grand. But when my sister tried to augment her treatment they were rigid and unhelpful. I expected better overall experience, so I am giving them a poor showing.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank NHFreezing
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband and I just celebrated our 23rd wedding anniversary at the Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle New Hampshire. What a wonderful hotel. Our room was wonderful. We had a standard room, but it did seem larger than the other standard rooms. We had 4 windows with views of the grounds, harbor and the Atlantic Ocean in the distance. We've stayed in many wonderful hotels and this ranks right at the top. After readng the many positive reviews on Tripadvisor, I made our reservation. I received an email back from the hotel asking if we had any special requests. I sent the normal requests, plus I mentioned that we were coming for our anniversary. When we arrived back from dinner is town - Portsmouth, NH, the hotel had left a bottle of champagne and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries, plus a handwritten note congratulating us on our anniversary. We brought the note back with us. We've decided we will definitely go back for a longer stay. (The heated bathroom floors are awesome) Thanks to the staff of the Wentorth by the Sea for a great anniversary!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have the better views. I enjoyed our east facing room.
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Spent two nights. View from room was amazing. Beautiful fall decorations. Enjoyed looking at history of building from all the pictures! The Resort is well maintained and the beds were comfy. The bar and the staff at the bar were great. Food was excellent. Brian the bellman was the best, very informative, pleasant and just a nice guy!! Concierge was a sweet lady also very helpful and took a bus of guests downtown and saved us a taxi fee and/or parking fee. Took a taxi home late ..worked out great. Portsmouth is a great town, State Street Bar wonderful time watching Red Sox and Florida State game. Lots to do will definitely come back.
Just a few not so great things:
Shades did not keep out the light so it was hard to sleep in the am. The plumbing is very loud and also woke us up in the am when someone was taking a shower. Cricket in bathroom upon arrival to greet us not so great. Room was not ready or preassigned when we arrived at 4. They did give us a free appetizer, however, I used Marriott's check in app earlier in day and also called hotel to see request a king and room was still not ready. Front desk seemed unorganized. Our bill got messed up too after telling three people on front desk we were using points and paying for one night therefore it was two separate reservations. Called after we checked out and manager did fix bill and sent me an email later in the day it was corrected.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in a quiet setting. It was a great place for our family summer vacation with a perfectly heated pool with a view, pretty grounds, and a cute town a quick drive away. The two restaurants on site were outstanding and it was hard to justify going into town to try other places with such fresh and delicious food right downstairs. However, the club lounge (unexpected at a resort property) served such an exciting array of appetizers and desserts each night that it was difficult to be hungry for dinner!

The spa was crowded on the day I went for a massage but it was still a very nice an relaxing experience to include on the trip.

My only complaint about the hotel is that one of the hotel's two elevators was being renovated during my stay which made for some long waits at the elevator.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this hotel for a family trip or a romantic weekend away from the city.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gpcar
Lisle, Illinois
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We spent 3 nights at Wentworth on our first stop of a Fall trip through the New England states. It's located about 10 minutes from downtown Portsmouth, NH. A bit off the beaten path, to be sure, but right on the ocean. The grounds are quite beautiful, with a large garden and many flowers and plants in the area fronting the hotel.

We had a standard room with a king bed, and while a bit tight, we expected this from an older hotel. The bathroom, on the other hand, was quite spacious. The accommodations were comfortable.

The hotel has two restaurants on site: Salt, the main dining room in the hotel proper, and Latitudes, a more casual setting overlooking the harbor with a terrific view and outdoor seating available. We dined at Salt our first evening and enjoyed a terrific meal in an elegant setting with great service. A lighter meal two evenings later in the bar was also more than satisfactory.

Service at Wentworth is about as good as it gets. The staff is quite friendly and engaging, and the woman who staffed the concierge lounge during the evening was a veritable wealth of information on local activities and attractions.

One note regarding the location: if you wish to dine in Portsmouth, be prepared for a drive along unfamiliar two-lane roads. We elected to stay on site after dark.

Boston MA
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This place was just lovely and we had a fantastic weekend. We had a stunning view from our room (but I take it every room has a great view). Everything was really done well. We loved walking around the grounds, reading on the nice chairs on the decks, and watching the ball game in the lounge in the evening.

For food, we had a delicious dinner in Salt on our first night. Excellent food and beautifully presented. On the 2nd morning we ordered a light breakfast from room service. I was a bit annoyed that they estimated 35-40 minutes for coffee, juice and toast, but in fact they delivered it in 15 minutes.

The workout room was a bit small for a place of this size, but that said, very few people were using it so I had no problem doing my workout.

I would definitely return to this lovely resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Castle
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Stage Neck Inn
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor

Been to Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!