“Charming getaway”

Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Castle
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Recently brought my Mum here for a couple-night spa retreat. I've stayed/eaten here before, but this was the first time to take advantage of spa facilities. Very much off-season time in mid-November so everything was comfortable, unhurried and enjoyable. Mum had a full massage and I had a facial; both receive high marks. We had the large indoor pool all to ourselves. Only found out about the outdoor jacuzzi exclusive to spa guests after the fact, so missed out on that.
We had a charming room on the 4th (top) floor. Funky ceiling angles due to its location. The closet was a riot: under an eave so the rod was waist-high; good thing we didn't bring dresses! The room faced East with incredible view towards ocean. After ordering coffee from room service the first morning we discovered a coffee maker in a cupboard, so be sure to look for that first! The bathroom was perfectly adequate but don't expect high-end features such as fancy tub/shower, ceiling heater, etc. There was no ventilation fan in the bathroom and I wonder if that has to do with its top-floor location. The Wentworth is an old, historic property, and I expect it's tough to deal with duct work and such.
Wonderful food and cocktails at Salt.
Nearby Portsmouth is a wonderful town to explore on foot. Many pre-Revolutionary War buildings.

I think the best thing about the Wentworth is the staff. From valet parking to room attendants, each and every employee treated us with eye contact, a smile and a greeting. It's clear the management takes the highest level of service seriously. Go to the Wentworth with a package to include dining and/or spa. The various individual charges could shock you and add up very quickly!

Room Tip: Ocean View is definitely preferable
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maine-ah

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We have stayed at the Wentworth many times over the years and it is usually the hotel we choose when we are in the Portsmouth NH area. I usually wait for promotions or discounts to book and usually go off season so it isn't so expensive. I just love staying here as it feels so welcoming and warm to me. It's not perfect, but what place is?
We stayed here for 2 nights in late May and 2 nights just before Thanksgiving.
Our room was ocean view and very comfortable. My complaint about the room would be we could clearly hear the person talking in the room next to us. And I mean, without trying, hearing every word of his phone conversation. Fortunately, the room was unoccupied the 2nd night.
We were going to eat at Salt, but decided to eat in downtown Portsmouth instead - a quick drive of 10 minutes. We did have the breakfast buffet each morning and thought it was excellent and well worth the $16.pp. We got this room/breakfast buffet pkg deal because the hotel could not accommodate us in booking a room for 15% off due to the construction going on during our visit in May. The rooms division manager considerately offered us the breakfast buffet each morning and changed the room rate to the same rate for both nights. We were happy with this accommodation.
We also enjoyed returning from Portsmouth in the evening and being able to sit in the bar area and enjoy a drink in a lovely atmosphere.
We have never used the spa facilities so can't comment on that, but the spa packages do seem popular.
This Grand Dame of hotels has withstood the test of time and various ownerships and, I think, is worth a visit. The staff are well trained and truly want to make your visit memorable for all the right reasons.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I plan meetings for my husband every year I can, so we can stay here for a couple of days in the winter. The staff is wonderful and the property just feels incredibly special and historic. Something about the sound of the bridge nearby is so soothing.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I spent two nights in this classical luxury hotel. Our room on the second floor, with harbor view, was extra large as it was a corner room. Our bathroom had radiant heat in the bathroom, a nice addition to the room. Beds were comfortable.
We ate one night at the restaurant. Food was expensive, but not that great. The best part is the spa! Several years ago I had allowed myself a massage, which was awesome. This year, I skipped the spa, but spent a lot of time at the lovely indoor pool. Beautiful space, which included a hot tub for after swimming.
Because the hotel is a bit out of the town of Portsmouth, we had to drive the five miles to town. But, it was worth it, as the hotel was perfect!
Off season rates made the trip affordable for us.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My sister and I recently returned from a spa weekend offseason, using a promotion for $300 off a marina suite, so we only paid $200 for a large suite.
Pros:
Spa. Very expensive for area, but great services and facilities. The half day package brings the individual services to a more reasonable price though I was confused that they add a 20% tip on a package that includes a $25 lunch voucher but told me I should tip for lunch and that the 20% add on was only on services not lunch voucher, however turned out not to be true.
Location: Marina rooms overlook ocean, view is great. Portsmouth is ten minutes away with lots of restaurants, historic homes, shopping and beautiful walks.
Cons:
Restaurant (Salt) is offensively bad. $14 vegetable and bean soup was a tiny bowl of broth with tiny pieces of onion and celery in it. Swordfish was a thin slice, less than 1/2 inch, so overcooked I choked. I eat out a lot and would say this was probably the worst restaurant meal I have ever had. While I am a foodie, by no standards was this a reasonable meal. I can't explain the other good restaurant reviews other than to say I wish I had not trusted them or perhaps the restaurant has gone down hill recently.
Service: It was dark and we were told to walk down a flight of stairs to our room. After we did, there was a sign pointing down another long flight, outside in the frigid cold, but no sign at the bottom to direct you. An elderly person could never have carried their own luggage but we had no offers to help. After walking around for 20 minutes had to call to find out where the room was. In morning found a used coffee filter in coffeepot, and trash in the kitchen barrel from the previous occupants.
Room construction: Heater literally on wall next to bed was so loud and cycled on and off so frequently we were laughing and had to wear earplugs. Gas fireplace could only be worked by turning a timer that ticked so loudly that it totally spoiled any effect of having a fire-- as far from romantic or peaceful as you could get.

Room Tip: For marina rooms, I would go as far toward the main road as possible so when you are sitting on the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank ArtLovingFoodie
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Definitely worth a 2nd visit if are in the area again. We had a nice bedroom overlooking the sea and the staff were very helpful. there was an excellent breakfast with good choices. ..both restaurants were excellent and overall it was a lovely location and very pretty.

Room Tip: Sea view worth having
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2013

another couple always join us for a week-end get away at this beautiful hotel in coastal N.H. the rooms are nicely appointed and the views spectacular. Between last years visit and this years the hotel underwent renovations to the dining room and is now under new management. But, the little things went by the boards. They used to have complimentary coffee and tea in the morning but now you have to pay $3.00. it isn't much but it is the principal of it. We always get the spa package which includes the breakfast buffet. Last year if you wanted to order off the menu you got a $12.00 credit. Now it is just the buffet. Like I said its the little things that make a hotel grand. What next. Next year we are going to try the Mt. Washington Hotel.

Room Tip: Upper floors have a spectacular view either front or back
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leesmuffin
WentworthByTheSea, General Manager at Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay at Wentworth by the Sea. These are valid points and we will certainly review this as a team. Our goal is to make positive improvements to the overall experience and this feedback will assist us in doing so.
Best regards,

Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Stage Neck Inn
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor

Been to Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!