“Love this place!!”

Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Castle
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Love the old world charm of this hotel. The rooms are typical of an upscale Marriott resort and the food was reasonably priced and delicious at the fabulous restaurant on site and a beautiful indoor pool. Great for couples.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Though I live close, I have had the pleasure of staying here twice and enjoy the facilities often. The rooms are beautiful, marble bathrooms, nice bedding and beautiful views from almost every room. The restaurant is always a treat, with, what I think is the best lobster roll that I have found. For a special holiday and if you don't mind a buffet, the holiday buffets are amazing. The Wentworth just does things first class.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We were credited 1/2 the room rate but I would be remiss if I didn't share this experience. Housekeeping was appalling, dishonest presentation of suite upon arrival, lied about the hotel giving us champagne when it was sent by our son...restaurant, Salt, was awful.

Room Tip: Be sure to qualify ocean view. We were told we had a beautiful view of the ocean but it was beyond t...
4  Thank chingala
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We spent the night before thanksgiving at the hotel. The rooms are nicely decorated and we had a view of the water which was great. The bathrooms have heated floors and beautiful tile. It was not busy for the hotel that night so it was quiet. If someone is talking loudly in the hallways, it can be heard in the room. My husband used the indoor pool at 10pm that night and it was empty. It did appear that the families used the pool earlier in the night.
All the staff were friendly. I would recommend staying here even in the off season as the property, staff and food are all first class. Do have dinner in the newly renovated salt restaurant. The drinks and food were excellent. Again I can't say enough about the staff. Relaxing time.....
FYI the outdoor pool is being revamped for the spring.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the harbor.
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed a Saturday night for our anniversary. We had booked a suite. I had previously called to confirm our room had a soaking tub (we don't have one and I miss ours!). I was told our room did, upon arriving in our room it had 2 showers. My husband and I debated calling to the front desk or just staying put. We decided to call and so glad we did! The staff was more than apologetic and had us stay in one of the marina townhouses. They are beautiful with spectacular views.
The concierge, Mary Carey, drove us into Portsmouth to where we had dinner reservations. She was such a delight sharing town history and came into the restaurant with us to introduce us to the staff that all adored her.
The breakfast the next morning was unbelievable! My husband and I days later are still talking about it. Salt (the restaurant) room is gorgeous. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This historic hotel used to be a great place to go and enjoy this beautiful property. We just returned from spending two nights over the Thanksgiving holiday. We were not aware that the hotel now charges an automatic 20% gratuity to all food and drink - even on the $3.00 coffee you pour yourself. The service is not nearly worthy of a 20% tip - the wait staff is very badly trained. We spent every dinner chasing down our server trying to get drinks, food for our group. Three times the server brought the wrong bottle of wine - three times! And then we were forced to give her a 20% tip - on a $700 bill. Two of the rooms in our party were not provided clean towels, etc. Too expensive for really bad service. We will never go back and I would not recommend this place to anyone! Marriott should not be proud to have this property in their group - nor should the Historic Hotels of America.

Room Tip: Water view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Elizabeth K
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Wonderful Thanksgiving break. Our room (431) was spacious, with a great water view and parts of Portsmouth. The bathroom ran the length of the room, and was wide enough for the two of us to be there at the same time. The HVAC system was quiet and efficient (I obsess about this).
The hotel was quiet busy over the holiday, but the staff did a wonderful job of keeping up with demands. There is a separate review of the restaurant, where we had breakfast, lunch and dinner, but we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and service.
Would love to see what it is like when the temp isn’t well below freezing.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Castle
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Stage Neck Inn
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor

Been to Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!