Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Courtyard Portsmouth(Portsmouth)
US$190
US$163
US$158
Howard Johnson Portsmouth(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$119
US$157
US$153
1,563 results
All reviewsgrand hotelbeautiful historic hotelthe main hotelthe concierge loungethe main dining roomwater viewcorner roomnew englandbreakfast buffetindoor poollobster rollsalt restaurantfront desk managermarina suitehot tubromantic getawayheated floors
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This was a surprise long weekend trip arranged by my wife for my birthday. The hotel is a historic property close to the water (and its own marina) that was updated quite recently. All of the staff was very friendly and welcoming. The front desk manager, upon learning it was my birthday located a nice room with a view. However, the walls of the room was paper thin on the third floor and our neighbor decided to smoke on the balcony while talking incessantly on the phone. The front desk manager quickly arranged another room in a quiet location on the second floor with heated tiles! The restaurant on the hotel property is also great for a meal. The only minor complaint is that for a highly rated Marriott property the Concierge Lounge was rather lacking. However, we would certainly stay again and recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Keep away from the 3rd floor rooms with balcony. The walls are extremely thin and you can hear your neighbor talking and using the bathroom.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmuseBouches
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I returned to the Wentworth after fifty years. It blew away even my romantic memories.

I have to admit that I have been disappointed when returning to historic properties, now managed by Marrott. Not this time. The property is in beautiful shape with what must be recent decoration of both guest rooms and public spaces. Nice touches all round. Ever imaginable accommodation and facility. My room had all of the accommodations and amenities that one comes to expect of Marriott's top properties but I particularly liked that the tile floor in my large bathroom was warmed.

Mine was a solo one night stay so I did not get to explore as I might want to but the house was full of people, groups, and families, all of whom seem to be having a good time. However, one thing that left A lasting impression was how accommodating the staff was. I admit that I am what may be described as a "high maintenance" guest. I am old, I drink, I fall down; I have lots of needs, demands, and expectations. I ask for what I want. Not only did every member of staff take me in stride, they all seemed to have the necessary authority and discretion to do so. Quite refreshing, really.

Room Tip: Be sure to describe your needs and preferences both when reserving and checking in. If staying more than a night or two, be sure to request an ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Sunday Brunch is always a fun family foodie adventure. But at The Wentworth the level of service and quality is above comparison. Firstly, the fixed price ($35.00 when we were there) includes unlimited Mimosas and food. Secondly, the food is of top quality and taste.

I recommend reservations as the place is filled every Sunday. But if you go as we did, without reservations, fear not, as they allowed us to partake of the feast from the adjacent restaurant/lounge area with full service.

The eggs benedict were served perfectly, as were the order-made omelets. Fruit of every accord was available as were a variety of breakfast meats, potatoes, and hashes. Freshly prepared Prime Rib was bountiful, and fish lovers found several options of that variety as well.

And yes, the mimosas were fine. A definite Sunday Best find!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Got back from a business conference which was held at Wentworth by the Sea and where we all stayed as well. Hotel was beautiful. Grounds were stunning. We happened to get there on a gorgeous 80 degree day - but left today and it was only 50. Not sure if they could have, but it would have been helpful if the hotel could have put out a notice to the Conference Planner that the Sagamore Bridge (how you get to the hotel) was closed down and alternative routes were necessary. Everyone's GPS devices did not alert them. I had gone on to Google Maps so that I would have both references, and neither alerted me. Detour signs were poor and it took us an additional 45 minutes to locate the hotel.

Once we got there - great stay. We were in the suites on the marina - and they were great. Very little in the cabinets so if you are going there and plan to stay for awhile bring some of your own utensils (for instance - no wine opener or bottle opener). Just prepare or call ahead and ask them to list what is included in the rooms.

Conference meals and meeting room were good. We enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: 2004 is a 2 bedroom Suite and faces the water. Would ask for an end unit here though - so you don't have neighbors on both sides when sitting on the deck.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We have been coming to Wentworth by the Sea for years and have stayed in every type of room/suite. We have never been disappointed. We just returned from a Mother's Day weekend and booked one of the marina suites. Had a spa treatment and it was terrific. The pool was already open and was surprisingly warm. Our son loved it. We had a two floor suite with two baths and an amazing view. We easily could have stayed here's all week. It was perfect! We could see from our suite they have been renovating latitude and the main pool. Looks great. We will be back this summer!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family