“A decent breakfast in a small town”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
MacKenna's Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 25 Restaurants in New London
Cuisines: American
Description: Breakfasts and lunches served. Family restaurant.
Description: Breakfasts and lunches served. Family restaurant.
Reviewed 20 August 2013

There isn't a lot of choices in rural New Hampshire and sometimes, you just want a place to grab breakfast and read the paper. This family restaurant does the trick. The coffee keeps a coming. The omelets use fresh ingredients (at least my spinach and cheese with bacon did) and the homemade toast was a treat. Could it be a little cleaner? Sure.
It was a decent value for a decent meal. The staff is friendly and prompt and we lingered for a while and didn't feel rushed - though it was during the week. There isn't very many choices in New London (a beautiful spot though) so little to compare, but you certainly can't go wrong here. It just wasn't as memorable as a VG restaurant should be.

Would I return, sure. Would I go out of my way and make a special trip to stop there? Probably not.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were visiting friends in the area and wanted to take them out to breakfast. MacKenna's is nicely located downtown, has ample parking (we found a nicely shaded spot since we were traveling with our dog), and they have a nice variety of breakfast foods on the menu. They offered red flannel hash as a special which looked delicious. Three of us ordered omellettes while I had blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup (which they did not over charge for as usually happens, very reasonably priced) and an order of bacon. The toast is made from all homemade breads (very good!) and while we wouldn't have minded a Bloody Mary, the tomato juice was fresh, well chilled and delicious. One of our friends didn't care for their coffee, but she is a Starbucks fan.....can't have everything. The service was prompt, friendly, and accurate and the prices were fair. The photographs and art on the walls was quite interesting. All in all, a great breakfast place in the heart of New London. We will definitely return.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Service great and very friendly - located in shopping center where we wanted to shop - good variety to choose from

Reviewed 21 July 2013

The locals eat here and that says a lot because New London has a number of restaurants that serve up reliable casual food. John MacKenna has presided over the restaurant in person for many of my visits, and he often stops by in his chef apron for a quick chat when the restaurant isn't too busy. My favorite meal is breakfast--how do they manage to get everything out hot for a table of 6 adults and 2 children? I can only imagine how well organized the kitchen is even though I can see some of the comings and goings from the counter when I stop in alone. The only way I can explain this wizardry is the convivial atmosphere and good planning in the kitchen that gives us a chance to visit again and again and never be disappointed. Favorites: lobster roll, clam chowder, haddock plate, clam strips.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

Its a basic family restaurant. Nothing wrong, just a normal fare for what it is. Menue is okay. Sometimes do not use fresh vegetables. Canned for some. Could get fresh as next to a super market. Easy parking in big lot. Sometimes soup portions small but fully priced.