“My favorite week of the year”
Review of Twin Lake Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New London
Twin Lake Village
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My extended family just celebrated our 8th summer at TLV and we all look forward to many more years together. We have created a special bond with returning families and have watched each others' children grow up. We love the casual and constant atmosphere at TLV. In a fast paced changing world it is comforting to rely upon the consistencies the Kidder family provides....from the array of food, the rocking chairs on the porch, the tennis tournament to the afternoon group on the dock. We wouldn't change a thing!!
Karen Moon

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
TLVKidder, Owner at Twin Lake Village, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

Thank you! We hope you always feel this way! We will work hard to keep TLV the treasure it is for all the guests like you who appreciate and enjoy it so much. We would like every guest, old and new, to walk away with the same feeling...counting the weeks until their next TLV vacation.

There are newer reviews for Twin Lake Village

Reviewed 17 September 2012

My Family and I have been traveling up to TLV for five years and we all look forward to this special summer holiday spot. We represent several generations in our family group, all of whom enjoy TLV. My granddaughter loves to attend the play house every morning, a free service for young children so their parents enjoy the various activities such as the lovely golf course, three Har Tru tennis courts and all the various water sports. I know my young high schooler looks forward to reacquainting each summer with the friends she has made over the five years we have been enjoying TLV. The same family's tend to book the same week year after year. As a mother and grandmother to our gang I love the liberation from any food preparation and house cleaning. I adore the waitstaff that tends to us so well all week and the house keeper that cleans our cocktail glasses and tea cups and makes our beds each morning while we enjoy another beautiful New Hampshire day. TLV is a real jewell.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
TLVKidder, Owner at Twin Lake Village, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Thank you for your comments and especially for pointing out what fun place it is for families with multi-generations. As part of the fifth generation of the Kidders to run TLV, it is important to me that TLV be as special a family vacation spot for you as it is to all of us...past, present and future!

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Just returned from spending another wonderful 2 weeks at Twin Lake Village (TLV). Its a place where families return year after year to reconnect with old friends, including the Kidder Family which has run TLV for over 100 years, as well as start new friendships with first time guests. While TLV isn't for everyone--no flat screen TVs in your room nor is there a heated indoor swimming pool or fitness center. But, if swimming in a crystal clear lake, paddling a kayak, going for a sailboat ride, playing golf on a challenging nine hole par 3 golf course, playing tennis, having a picnic dinner on a mountain watching the sunset, or simply sitting in a rocking chair on the porch reading a book or talking to other guests, then TLV may very well be the right choice for your next vacation. And, I've always found the food to be very good--especially those pancakes at breakfast--and deserts at lunch and dinner are exceptional. My reservation has already been made for next year. Hope to see you there as well.
Dennis/Fairfax Virginia

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dennis F
TLVKidder, Owner at Twin Lake Village, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Thank you! In my biased opinion you have described us to a T! It is all the guests like you, who look forward to seeing old friends and welcome new guests into the TLV family, that make owning and operating TLV so much fun!

Reviewed 3 September 2012

My extended family has been spending a week together every summer for the past 24 years. In 2005 we started spending a week at TLV and love it. Our group includes teenagers, college kids, and their middle-aged parents as well as 80 year old parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles. We are a relatively easy going bunch who go back every year because TLV is in a lovely spot on Little Lake Sunapee, the owners are friendly and accommodating, and the price is most definitely right.

We especially like not having to cook, shop clean, or shell out for a round of golf or use of a kayak or canoe. (I have seen complaints about the food. We do just fine with the food, we especially like the home-made bread and desserts; however, we do mix it up by going out a couple of times a week to an area restaurant or having breakfast in our cottage.)

Given that all the chores are taken care of by others (the lovely cleaning staff make your bed!) the only decision I have to make at TLV is which fun thing to do that day. There have been TLV weeks when all I did was read, hike, run, take naps, play cards, do a jigsaw puzzle and canoe. It was heaven. There is internet access in the main lodge for those who can't totally disconnect. ( I am one of those.) When I realized the Olympics would be on while I was there, I brought my Ipad, which had a cellular connection so I could see the events I cared about. That being said, there is TV in the main lodge. Not having computers, tvs and instant internet access in the cottage is a plus in our book.

I think of TLV as family camp. One night there is BINGO, which sounds corny, but is a lot of fun. Another night is a game night for the little ones (musical chairs, etc). One evening a week there is a picnic on Mt. Kearsarge, which can be preceded by a hike for those who are interested. There is also an incredibly low key golf tournament (a great way to meet folks and you don't have to be a good golfer, it is best ball.)

I have gotten to know some of the other families who regularly return the same week we do, but I don't feel compelled to socialize and have never felt left out as some have mentioned. While golf and tennis are available, you don't have to be good at either to play there. (I have seen folks playing golf barefoot!)

New London is a cute town with a summer stock theatre, a couple of cafes, a bookstore, and other small shops. The first two weeks of August feature a juried craft show at Mt. Sunapee, something I never miss.

This is a relaxing week for us. We unwind, sleep, take in the outdoors and spend a lot of time in a rocking chair on the porch of our cottage. We look forward to going back next August.

Room Tip: If you have members of your group for whom lots of walking would be a problem, speak to the owners a...
1  Thank DawnaCobb

Thank you! Our goal is to have every guest leaving TLV feeling the same way.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

My family recently spent a few days at Twin Lake Village, and we were immediately charmed by the rustic but super clean cottages. The porches are wonderful and the location of the place is great for a quiet family getaway. We're not a golf family, but we enjoyed the lakefront activities and found the young man in the boathouse incredibly friendly and helpful. We knew about the lack of TVs, etc, and it really was a lovely break from the 'real world'--one does feel like one has stepped back in time a bit. Other groups of guests clearly knew each other well, and we did notice a rather dominant golf culture-- we didn't feel left out or not a part of things, but I could see how a small family might struggle to make in roads with the folks who had an established social group.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention the whole dining experience. The ease of having three meals a day provided for our multi-generation family gathering was one of the main attractions to TLV. The young dining staff were attentive and smiley but the food defied explanation. The ordering system is odd--you have to write down your whole tables orders on a little waitress pad--deliver it to your server, and they then bring out your items course by course. The food, on whole, was truly awful. Canned vegetables, cold ice cream scoops of mashed potatoes, sad and tiny salads, very limited 'healthful' options. The place feels like it's from another era, and I believe they use the same cookbook from that bygone era. Welsh Rarebit was an actual option for one entree. (Just to keep us on our toes, there were some real treats: homemade baked goods: the bread and morning muffins were Delicious.) On Sundays at lunch, and at all other dinner meals, men are expected to wear long pants and collared shirts--I have to say that dressing up for THAT food seemed especially ridiculous.
On balance, I would recommend this place for an extended family getaway--it is quiet and slow paced which, if you know in advance, can be very nice and relaxing--I would hit the grocery store in town before heading back (we noticed that some of the other families staying there didn't eat any meals in the dining room)
One last thing to note, we had some older people in our party and the whole place is on a large hill, there was quite a steep slope up to our cabin, and to walk to and from the waterfront was a good 1/4 mile trek--not always easy for the older folks on a hot day.

Room Tip: The beds and cabins are very comfortable, certain cabins are up STEEP hills
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank your for your review. Your concerns are noted and will be discussed as we plan for the summer of 2013. We are an old fashioned resort and have kept some of the old traditions. Quirky, yes, but it seems to work for us and we try to keep options open for everyone. For example, those that don't like the dress for lunch routine often take a box lunch so they can stay at the lake or sit on their cottage porch and relax in a rocking chair. It sounds like you saw many of our guests taking advantage of this.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Just returned from a horrible week at TLV. The food is awful; I stopped going to meals after 3 days because the food was overcooked, undercooked, and very cheap grade. A "pear salad" was a half of a canned pear on a leaf of lettuce. I kid you not. The cook must be a family member because he/she could not cook simple things like eggs, steak, etc. If you ordered a grapefruit half you could tell it was low grade-small and discolored.

The 9-hole golf course was fun, and the lake with free kayaks and canoes was fun. The houses have no ac, no tv, no internet. 2 tvs in the main lodge are so old they are the console type (they look like furniture).

Just outside the campus I was pulled over by a NH cop who said I was speeding "in town." We weren't even in town. Before he gave me a ticket he asked if I "had a house here." When I said no I am a tourist from pa I got the bogus ticket. I will admit when I deserve a ticket but this was totally a money grab by NH cops. Later the cops stopped my in-laws going to church and gave them a hard time. I guess our out-of-state dollars aren't welcome in New Hampshire.

Do not come here. There are many better places where you will feel welcome as a out-of-stater and can eat decent food with decent accommodations.

My wife and I are both physicians and we travel a lot. This is the first time I have felt compelled to write a negative review about a place we have stayed. And for the record, I overheard several anti-semitic comments from the predominantly Christian visitors, and although I can't fault the property for the views of their clients it made me feel uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Just don't come here
4  Thank RJMill
TLVKidder, Owner at Twin Lake Village, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Thank you for your commentary. Food concerns are important to us and we take them very seriously. Your review of the golf course and lake activities is spot on and it is true that we do not have a/c or TV’s in our accommodations...we are very up front about that. Sorry you had a problem with the police. Unfortunately we can't do much about that!

Reviewed 5 August 2012

First of all, the previous reviewer had to be posting for a rival resort. The lack of accuracy and improper spelling should be the first clues...(hot dogs are at the Tuesday night picnic, not the dining room...)

However, if you are looking for a great place to take your family or friends and meet new people, hence the reason some have been coming back for years. Twin Lake Villa is the place to go; especially if you're looking for that trip to get away from it all. There are several places to hike in the area. The lakes nearby are very clean and swimming areas are clearly marked off for any boat traffic that might be on any particular lake. There are other attractions in the area such as the New London Barn Playhouse.

The best value of Twin Lake Village is the price. The weekly rates are very manageable and meals are included. The menu often reflects items that are part of standard New England cuisine and are well executed, especially the lamb roast and the chowder which could stand alone!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cyorgan
TLVKidder, Owner at Twin Lake Village, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Thank you for sharing with everyone what a beautiful area we are located in. We agree with you that it is a special spot! I am glad you mentioned the pricing. Our goal is to have all our guests leave with the feeling that they had a wonderful vacation for a great value.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New London
#3 of 6 in New London
Burkehaven Lodge
Burkehaven Lodge
#1 of 1 in Sunapee

Been to Twin Lake Village? Share your experiences!