“A Family Tradition”
Review of Twin Lake Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New London
Twin Lake Village
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We have been coming to TLV for almost 20 years. This is the perfect place for any kind of group get together where you want to have fun, have things to do for all ages, but you don't want anyone to get stuck doing the cooking and cleaning. However, keep in mind that you don't just come here for one night and leave. (Unless you stay in the Lodge.) Pick a week, find a group of friends or family to fill a house and enjoy. You will be competing with the other regulars who come the same week every year (like us!) But there are openings so do try to come! The Lodge also can take families and a group of rooms or you can stay as a single or double, like a hotel. TLV has it all if you like Par 3 type of golf, tennis, lake swimming, boating, Bingo night, hiking, a waterfall and a preppy affordable town nearby (only a mile or so) if you need groceries or boutiquey type of shopping. Maybe we'll see you at TLV sometime!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank happynowyoga

Reviewed 24 July 2013

This is the 6th year our family of 6 has enjoyed Twin Lake Villas. My son and daughter - in-law and 3 grandchildren (now 10-1/2, 8-1/2 and 6-3/4) and me...happy Grammy. We have a wonderful cottage( part of the property and near the hotel ) that is super clean and maid service is daily.Eating in the dining room of the hotel for breakfast, lunch and dinner gives my daughter in law a 'break' from doing the usual daily cooking at home. The food is not gourmet, but mostly fine...and the desserts are super. Many guests know each other from years past and although there is no drinking in the dining room, folks often invite others to have a cocktail in their respective cottages before dinner every night. This is a family place and children and parents all 'hang out' together with children's ages varying from 3 to young adults. We all love the golf, the tennis, the shuffleboard, kayaking or canoeing and swimming in the lake. And all is included in the American Plan lodging fee for the week. It is terrific NOT to have TV in the cottage. Our family played board games some nights...and on the special bingo night and children's dance night we laughed for hours. The Tuesday afternoon climb to the top of Mr. Kearsage is tackled by many...and everyone revels in the picnic the Kidders provide at the picnic/play area near the top of the mountain. This is the most cost effective, fabulous vacation there is...and I say that from the perspective of having traveled nationally and internationally during my past vacations. It is simple, old fashioned low key FUN to be here. Although the youth of today have their I -pods and I-pads, there is so much to do , "screen-time" is effectively limited without undue parental hassle. The Kidder family does everything possible to ensure guests are happy...and we'll be going back year after year! Joan H. Johnson, Andover, MA

Room Tip: Call TLV and ask about availability of one of the cottages. i believe it's more fun to stay in...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank joanhj
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I'm a real fan of TLV. I first visited more than 30 years ago, and the food reviews on this page do make me smile. I think I was offered Welsh Rarebit too, and I probably tried it. Twin Lake Village traditions run strong, and it might seem to a first-timer that TLV is insular because so many families return each year. The Kidders have hosted my family for 5 generations and they do try to get to know the newcomers in between the many tasks the family performs and directs. The charm of a week at TLV is old fashioned--a family golf round, little kids and all, though experienced golfers enjoy the course; the dock and swimming in the pristine lake; small boating--kayaks will get you around most of the lake in a few hours and the Sunfish sailboat fleet has been active for a long time. Evenings are great for a walk around the lakefront, a game of tennis before dark, or an impromptu snipe hunt. (We never did find a snipe.) Because people walk so leisurely and cross the road for recreational activities, the Springfield police are very vigilant about speeding. I'm a local, and I can attest to at least one ticket on Route 114. if you like the idea of a casual vacation where time slows down, consider a week at TLV. I'm only one of many who came for a week but came back to settle in permanently.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My family stays in a cottage every year in July, and we have been coming for 4 generations. It seems like every year gets better and better!

Although the food is very good, your choices are limited. But like I said the food is very good.

TLV has a wide range of activities such as 2 golf tournaments a week. They have a Tennis tournament, and the boat house has a lot of options too.

The best part is the Lake. Once you step foot on the beach, you can't help but spend the day there! The water is never too cold and never too hot, it's always perfect!

You will love your vacation, if you choose to go to TLV!!! Money definitely well spent!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Giants555
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My extended family just celebrated our 8th summer at TLV and we all look forward to many more years together. We have created a special bond with returning families and have watched each others' children grow up. We love the casual and constant atmosphere at TLV. In a fast paced changing world it is comforting to rely upon the consistencies the Kidder family provides....from the array of food, the rocking chairs on the porch, the tennis tournament to the afternoon group on the dock. We wouldn't change a thing!!
Karen Moon

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
TLVKidder, Owner at Twin Lake Village, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

Thank you! We hope you always feel this way! We will work hard to keep TLV the treasure it is for all the guests like you who appreciate and enjoy it so much. We would like every guest, old and new, to walk away with the same feeling...counting the weeks until their next TLV vacation.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

My Family and I have been traveling up to TLV for five years and we all look forward to this special summer holiday spot. We represent several generations in our family group, all of whom enjoy TLV. My granddaughter loves to attend the play house every morning, a free service for young children so their parents enjoy the various activities such as the lovely golf course, three Har Tru tennis courts and all the various water sports. I know my young high schooler looks forward to reacquainting each summer with the friends she has made over the five years we have been enjoying TLV. The same family's tend to book the same week year after year. As a mother and grandmother to our gang I love the liberation from any food preparation and house cleaning. I adore the waitstaff that tends to us so well all week and the house keeper that cleans our cocktail glasses and tea cups and makes our beds each morning while we enjoy another beautiful New Hampshire day. TLV is a real jewell.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
TLVKidder, Owner at Twin Lake Village, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Thank you for your comments and especially for pointing out what fun place it is for families with multi-generations. As part of the fifth generation of the Kidders to run TLV, it is important to me that TLV be as special a family vacation spot for you as it is to all of us...past, present and future!

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Just returned from spending another wonderful 2 weeks at Twin Lake Village (TLV). Its a place where families return year after year to reconnect with old friends, including the Kidder Family which has run TLV for over 100 years, as well as start new friendships with first time guests. While TLV isn't for everyone--no flat screen TVs in your room nor is there a heated indoor swimming pool or fitness center. But, if swimming in a crystal clear lake, paddling a kayak, going for a sailboat ride, playing golf on a challenging nine hole par 3 golf course, playing tennis, having a picnic dinner on a mountain watching the sunset, or simply sitting in a rocking chair on the porch reading a book or talking to other guests, then TLV may very well be the right choice for your next vacation. And, I've always found the food to be very good--especially those pancakes at breakfast--and deserts at lunch and dinner are exceptional. My reservation has already been made for next year. Hope to see you there as well.
Dennis/Fairfax Virginia

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dennis F
TLVKidder, Owner at Twin Lake Village, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Thank you! In my biased opinion you have described us to a T! It is all the guests like you, who look forward to seeing old friends and welcome new guests into the TLV family, that make owning and operating TLV so much fun!