“Out of the way, worth the trip”

Millstone at 74 Main Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Millstone at 74 Main Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 26 Restaurants in New London
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
White River Junction, Vermont
“Out of the way, worth the trip”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

The Millstone in New London, NH is a delight. It's priced reasonably but delivers cuisine and wines worth far more than the menu prices require. Atmosphere is comfy on a winter's evening and service [Deb] is impeccable. This was a special treat.

• Visited March 2013

New London, New Hampshire
“Upscale dining”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Menue is good. Nice employees. It has not had a decor update that is needed to bring to current upscale dining standards. Bar area can get crowded but noise does not reach formal dining room. Have not eaten in bar area. Good wine list.

Visited November 2012
Berlin, Connecticut
“Long time Millstone patrons... asking "what happened"?”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We are out-of-staters that have been visiting The Millstone over the last decade. Two to three times per year, both winter and summer. Have always considered it in the good to very good genre, and on occasion... excellent. We were somewhat concerned looking at the Trip Advisor thread regarding 3 of the last 5 reviews have expressed disappointment. We decided to visit as loyal customers, and we also were disappointed. From a restaurant that used to be very good and had a food pedigree to support their Wine Spectator Awards, it has become just..... ok, average? Our criteria for a restaurant appreciates somewhat north of Prime Rib, which in our opinion is just banquet or wedding food. This saddens us. We had a large party and sampled numerous soups {luke warm}, salads {bland}, and entrees {mediocre}. My college daughter summed it up in one word... "uninspired". An interesting aside... my aforementioned comment above, about the disappointing reviews of the last few months, coincide that it was mentioned to us that The Millstone has a new chef... as of the last few months. We also duly noted, a very light crowd on a recent Saturday evening. Despite some snow, those NH folks are a hearty bunch, and this was just another indication of something amiss? We truly look forward to a future point where the new resembles the old...

1 Thank Sno-Bum
New Hampshire
“Prime Rib Heaven!”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

My wife and I have been going to the Millstone for many years and have had a variety of culinary experiences there; some great, some not as much, but always good. This is also my mother-in-law's absolute favorite restaurant, so we took her there for our Christmas Eve dinner this year. We always sit at a table in the bar which is much more relaxed and casual than the main dining room. We usually see lots of local folks that we know and it is a very warm and welcoming setting. There was a "special" menu for Christmas Eve and I had the potato leek soup to start. It was delicious! I should tell you that the Millstone has a spectacular wine list and a wide range of choices. The item on the menu that really snagged me was the prime rib, so I chose a nice Steele Pinot Noir to go with it. Both my MIL and and I had the prime rib and it was one of the best that I have ever had!! I devoured every morsel and both of us exclaimed repeatedly about how great it was. My wife had the red snapper and said that it was as great as that that we get in the Caribbean. The service, food and ambiance were all great! If you are in the area, go.

New Hampshire
“Big Disappointment!”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I took my family out for dinner expecting a great evening. We were greatly disappointed. the waitress was nice enough, but the food was awful. The risotto was undercooked, the pasta had way too much oregano and the shrimp tasted re-heated and much too salty. Everything seemed like it was made in advance and just microwaved. There were very few patrons and they all seemed very elderly. I felt like I was at a retirement home with all the pureed foods. not what I expected for the high prices they charge. We would have been better off with burgers at Peter Christian's or the Flying Goose.

• Visited December 2012

Been to Millstone at 74 Main Restaurant? Share your experiences!