“The best Caesar salad I've ever had!”

Millstone at 74 Main Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Millstone at 74 Main Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 26 Restaurants in New London
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I were in the New London area and just came across Millstone Restaurant. We were greeted warmly by the hostess and had our choice of a table or a booth. The decor is beautiful inside the Millstone. We felt like we were sitting out on a patio with the gorgeous view outside the French doors of their garden areas. Our server was prompt in coming to the table and explained a wine to me that I was not familiar with. (Even gave me a sample!) The food was fabulous, especially the Caesar salad. Made with anchovies and a fresh egg...the best I have ever had! I elected to have the small plate of shrimp risotto, and it was more than enough for me. My husband had the hanger steak which was cooked perfectly. Such a great meal. We will definitely return!

1  Thank Busyinnkeepers
There are newer reviews for Millstone at 74 Main Restaurant

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Millstone has had it's ups and downs over the years. As a reader of TripAdvisor reviews you will sense this immediately. You are a knowledgeable diner and it shows. In November Brandon became the chef at Millstone and the dining is vastly improved. The menu is limited but eclectic. Only vegans will be challenged. Eileen is a veteran waitstaff at Millstone and she reports a new sense of optimism and improved morale throughout the organization. The wine list is quite good and reasonable. Salads are creative and wide ranging. The fish dishes are a special treat: Tuna grilled to perfection, fish and garlic chips that are not greasy, but crisp. Portions are generous. Overall this was a fine dining experience at moderated prices. It's well worth a re-visit.

2  Thank Kalonymos
Reviewed 3 June 2013

If you enjoy bland food and slow service for top dollar, then this is the place to go!

We arrived at 5 p.m. and there was no one else in the restaurant. My husband commented, "We're going to have really good service tonight!" It started out that way, but as the restaurant filled, we couldn't even flag our waitress down to get the check so we could leave. We were there for two hours, and since the food was lousy, we were finished long before that.

The flatbread appetizer was burned, the lobster mac and cheese was bland and scant on lobster, and the fat-laced prime rib came with two stalks of mushy asparagus stuck in what tasted like instant mashed potatoes.

When our waitress set down the bowl of lobster bisque, my initial thought was, "Oil and water don't mix." The surface of the bisque was clear with oily yellow spots, not creamy with a light orange hue. As a matter of fact, it lacked a creamy element at all.

It tasted like oil and ... water with a splash of broth and no amount of pepper helped. Even the large chunks of lobster tasted bad and were rubbery.

I'm from Louisiana, so I do a lot of cooking. I really hate when we finally decide to splurge for dinner out, and the end result is we could have cooked a meal 10 times better at home.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

While not quite a bistro, and not quite "fine dining" atmosphere, highly recommended. Recently remodeled, the front is very attractive and more "bistro" than white tablecloth. Garden "back" dining room is more the latter, but not intimidating or stuffy. We chose to eat there because it is brighter and has an open feeling and with a view of the beautiful garden.

Each in our party of five found several dishes on the Chef's daily "Bistro Specials" page that looked good, and we had fun discussing which to order.

I did not have a starter, but another diner shared her asparagus flat bread with me, an it was delicious . . . Crispy, tasty, hot.

I had the seared scallops with crab ravioli in a cream sauce and enjoyed it very much. One scallop was sandy, but that is hard to avoid. Scallops were perfectly cooked. Generous portion size. The sauce very rich, but delicious.

Desert was a wonderfully creamy "crémé brulé", creamy rather than custard consistency.
The table bread, an olive bread, was delicious! I would not serve butter in foil packs in this level of restaurant.

Have been going here very occasionally for 13 years and never disappointed. A bit pricey, but worth it. Service was attentive but not obtrusive.

Recommended.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Yes, I keep returning to Millstone in New London . No doubt because they are rather consistent with friendly welcome whenever I arrive. This last time about 4 PM who eats dinner at this time of day ? well, we do ! The dinners were very good served at the lovely window table overlooking the garden. The Garden a bit shabby at the end of April with snow just melting from the area and threats of freezing weather it will be a few months before the glory of this garden will appear again . This friendly town in New London is one of the best in the entire state. So quaint and fresh so unlike some chain resturant that serves the same menu everwhere there resturants appear. Yes, looks like we will return again for the best of New England.

1  Thank DorcieMitchell