“A Long Way to Go To Realize Its Potential”
Review of Graze - CLOSED

Graze
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Inconsistency and an absent owner continue to plague this new iteration of what used to be "Ellie's" in New London. First, the pros: the renovation is lovely and the environment much warmer than Ellie's after its last face lift. The food is generally quite good, especially some of the meat products provided by the owner's farm. The general feel of the menu though is a bit monochromatic. Cons: the owner is largely absent, leaving the day to day oversight to a person who was until recently a waitress at the restaurant. I'm all for internal promotions but she is in the awkward position of training and managing a staff who are her friends. The atmosphere can at times be like a fraternity/sorority house, with loud, inappropriate conversations among the staff. One in particular is rumored to be the son of the owner. Unfortunately, he is the least effective member of the team and he doesn't hesitate to throw his teammates under the bus when something goes awry--as it often does--in the back of the house. When his friends stop by and order food, he occasionally will bring his own food over and sit down to eat with them---this while he is supposedly on duty. Odd. Unfortunately, the challenges don't exist only in the front of the house. There are real problems with inconsistency in the kitchen. When the chef has a day off, there is a noticeable difference in the quality standard. All of this is really a shame because this is a much needed type of restaurant in New London, a cross between the two major fine dining establishments and the more casual pubs in the area.

There are newer reviews for Graze

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I recently had breakfast at Graze Restaurant in New London, NH with my mom and sister and the food and the service were excellent! We loved the fact that most of the ingredients were made and raised locally. Some might think the prices are slightly more compared to the local diner, but we feel the quality of the food is well worth the price! We had a very friendly and attentive waiter. The atmosphere is cheery, bright and clean. We highly recommend this restaurant. We can't wait to have lunch and dinner there too!

Reviewed 31 December 2013

This has been a terrible experience!!!! Been here for 1 hour 20 minutes and just got the food. And they messed up 1 of our orders too. My 2 older kids (7 & 13) have been trying to eat my 1 year old's Cheerios for the past hour. The staff didn't even come over to offer refills or give us bread. Such a pity too, I came here over the summer with my husband and it was great. We wanted to share the experience with our kids, but that obviously was a disaster. The waiters weren't trained to handle the situation and the manager wasn't helpful at all. She didn't apologize but instead made an excuse. The manager told us that things were behind in the kitchen since only one chef turned up.Then stop seating people!!!
I understand that things can wrong in the kitchen, but then you need to communicate this to the customers and try to fix it.
Such a pity that we had such an awful time, because the food was actually great once it got to our table. But the portions were small and we all are still starving.
So much so that the flowers on our table have started to look appetizing....

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This past November, my husband and I celebrated our 58th. Wedding Anniversary. When I made the reservation, I mentioned that . Upon arrival, the hostess, greeted us very pleasantly, congratulating us on our Anniversary. We were seated at a table, tucked away in a cozy corner table.
We ordered a wine, suggested by our waitress. She was very knowledgeable about her wines. Our meal was perfect. Service was excellent. The waitress was excellent. Her name is Jamie, and made the evening, so special.
Upon reading some of the reviews, I feel most of them were unfair, in as much as this wonderful restraunt is trying so hard to make it work. Every new business has it's ups and downs, so, let's all be more supportive and give this restraunt more affirmation .Good Luck, Grazes.

1  Thank arlene n
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Had two very nice lunches in the past two weeks at Graze. All food locally sourced and very flavorful. Yes, the wait staff were very young but our waiter both times, Ian I believe was his name was very prompt and efficient. The decor is lovely and all staff are very friendly.

1  Thank EllieKoeppel