“Wedding Anniversary Celebration”

Inn at Pleasant Lake
Ranked #1 of 6 New London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Wonderful meal... beautiful location. We had a wonderful time dining and staying here. The meal is fixed prixe... with a common seating time. Before the meal, there's a cocktail hour. Then the Chef comes out to tell you about what he's prepared. The staff is attentive; but not in your face. All very nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dsky227

Reviewed 20 May 2013

I'm generally not an "inn" person because they conjure up images of too much quaintness for my taste. However, the Inn at Pleasant Lake was a fantastic experience which was kind of like staying in someone's home without having to worry about picking up after yourself. The inn is extremely clean (my number one priority when staying anywhere), and I didn't even feel gross about walking on the floor barefoot. I saw several of the rooms, and they were all lovely. Our room was absolutely comfortable with a good bed, extra seating, and plenty of places to put your belongings. I wasn't in love with the water pressure in the shower, but I'm a city girl and this could be a country thing. The people who work at the inn were pleasant (no pun intended) and at the ready to assist, but not overly in your business about anything. The food was spectacularly good - just everything was delicious including the dinners and the breakfasts. The snacks that they put out at tea are also a nice touch. The atmosphere is laid back and comfortable. There are many places to relax, including a beautiful patio out of the side door of the inn, and a small beach by the lake. This is definitely a place to come to unplug, unwind, and just kind of slow down with a nap on the adirondack chair or soaking in a good book or conversation.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UpForePar
853Chef, Owner at Inn at Pleasant Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Thank you for your nice words regarding the inn and your experience. Linda and I have owned the inn for 16 years now. Hearing your words is very helpful and reassuring that we have been working on something special all these years. We are very happy with where the inn is both functionally and from the guest's perspective, simply wonderful. When guests arrive from more urban areas and are able to take in the environment, they have a tendency to really relax. Our goal is to have people leave wanting to come back to New Hampshire. I call the experiences our guests have " New Hampshire therapy." Thank you again for taking time to comment on your time at the inn.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

My wife and I booked the inn on the internet and found it to be exactly as described! We spent two nights there, mid-week during the first week of May. The inn is a top-notch place to stay at any time of the year. The rooms were immaculate, the bed was comfortable, and the food was excellent.
During our stay, we had the pleasure of conversing with chef and owner, Brian MacKenzie who regaled with his explanation of the preparation of our food and then awed us with the actual meal.
The staff at the inn are all friendly and extremely accommodating. We found the afternoon tea time to be a charmer.
Pleasant Lake has a charm all its own, and with the mountains behind it, added a certain peacefulness to our stay.
You can't miss with this inn.

Room Tip: We were very comfortable in room 9. It's on the third floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2MacKenzies, Owner at Inn at Pleasant Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thank you for posting a note about your stay. We are happy that you were able to enjoy the inn, its surroundings and Chef MacKenzie's dinner. We look forward to seeing you again sometime. ~ Linda MacKenzie, Owner.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

My wife and I have stayed here twice, each time with one of our sons. This is an Inn you go to to get away from it all. Very quiet, very peaceful. Highlight of the stay is always the Dinner. Do yourself a favor and make a reservation with your stay. Fine dining as good as you will have anywhere (NYC, Boston you name it.)

I would/will definitely come back again.

Room Tip: No TVs in the rooms. No TV really to speak of aside from an older tube TV in library. But this is...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our little hotel. The hardest thing to market to travelers is the feeling of staying somewhere. Your words were well stated to create the picture of comfort and relaxation we want all of our guests to experience. We want people to step back from their busy lives and let the inn, the atmosphere, the outside environment and our staff help them relax and forget their problems and stresses at least for a short time. As the chef, I also love have people enjoy the low key fine dining atmosphere. Again, thank you.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed here on Valentine's day this year, and enjoyed the best 6 course dinner ever! As many of the other reviews state, Brian is one fabulous chef, and the dinner that he prepared on Valentine's Day exceeded his terrific reputation. It was simply amazing. We also thoroughly enjoyed the suite that we stayed in that evening. The room was very large and comfortable and the king sized bed was elegant. This is just a perfect getaway, and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2MacKenzies, Owner at Inn at Pleasant Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Thank you for taking time to write a review for the Inn. I love that you visited over Valentine's day. The Valentine's menu is generally my favorite to create. We infuse the idea of heart designs throughout the menu. Adding the extra course, gives me a bit of artistic freedom to create new and interesting flavor combinations. Thank you for trusting us with your celebration. We cannot wait for you to revisit the inn. I do like to recommend coming also during the Summer season. During the summer, guests have access to the Inn's beach and many outdoor recreation activities. Thank you again for your review. Brian MacKenzie

Reviewed 15 November 2012

We stayed at the Inn last weekend as part of a family reunion. Our room (Room 1) was very spacious, with a comfortable bed and a large bathroom complete with a jacuzzi tub. The Inn's common areas are very comfortable, with plenty of places to sit and relax spread over three rooms. We liked the fact that there were plenty of books and games, as well as a jigsaw puzzle table, which kept us entertained for hours.

The highlight of a visit to the Inn is dinner, which was excellent. I had scallops and my wife had beef, both of which we thoroughly enjoyed. The chef (who is also a co-owner) gave a detailed and entertaining talk about the food before dinner, which ramped up the interest and anticipation level.

The Inn's service is good. The front desk staff was pleasant at check-in and they let us check out an hour late when we left.

We didn't take advantage of the Inn's outdoor activities, because it was cold and we spent most of our time indoors.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MikeLisaAnna
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is a lovely, comfortable inn overlooking Pleasant Lake, about 1.5 miles from downtown New London. I live within a half hour from New London, so don't have a reason to spend a night here. However, I attended a seminar for a day, and it included a 3-course lunch. Chef/owner Brian MacKenzie has done single-seating dinner presentations at the Inn, which my husband has attended with friends. Brian takes great pains to explain all that goes into his menu - from ingredients to preparation to table - and the reviews from my friends (who are much more advanced in the culinary arts than I) are phenomenal. So when I attended this seminar there was some anticipation of great food. All 15 participants exclaimed how delicious and perfectly prepared the chicken and salmon dishes were (and most everyone went for the deep water salmon from Australia(?)). Brian does his best to provide the freshest, most organic food possible, and I know I'll be eating here again soon, simply because it's well worth the trip.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
#1 of 3 in Sutton
Rosewood Country Inn
Rosewood Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Bradford

Been to Inn at Pleasant Lake? Share your experiences!