“Some things good and some not so good”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
China City Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 26 Restaurants in New London
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We've been ordering from China City for about two years. This meal was ordered to-go. We have traveled to Asia and had access to outstanding Chinese food in Massachusetts. Dishes like their chicken wings, house fried rice and scallion pancakes have all been consistently good. Their main dishes have a "spotty" record with us.

I recently ordered shrimp with pea pods. This dish should be prepared with a light white sauce. On this night it was in their standard brown sauce (common to many dishes) and contained only 6 shrimp. It wouldn't take too much to make this a very good dish, but I am not certain why they do not. We ordered the butterfly shrimp dish that was also disappointing. The butterfly shrimp was listed as "fried". To us this normally means sautéed, but the shrimp came in a thick tempura batter. This dish also came with the brown sauce, which is not "light" as advertised in the menu.

We have not tried everything on the menu and I am certain there must be good dishes. You just have to try a few to find them.

There are newer reviews for China City Restaurant

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Average food! Friendly staff ! There wait time is true to form! Solid restaurant! friendly staff! Wish they had specials for take out.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We've all had it we all love it and if you need it, this is a good place to go, quick service great for take out, restaurant is small but for 4-6 people you can sit together. It's a nice place that has always done me right when that craving comes.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

The restaurant is located inside an indoor shopping plaza. The seating area is small - perhaps eight tables and is nicely decorated. The waitress was friendly and our food arrived very quickly. The plates were nicely presented and I wished I liked broccoli because it looked steamed to perfection. The entrees looked small initially (it was a lunchtime menu), but both my wife and I were quite full when we were finished. The food was delicious. my wife's Sesame Chicken was a mildly flavored, but my General Gau's Chicken was perfectly spicy (i asked for it spicier). We have tried many Chinese restaurants when we've travelled and we found this one to be one of the better places.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

This was not worth the time and effort to have takeout that was advertised. The food was so-so and the cost was much too high for such average Chinese cuisine. Not worth it unless you really crave oriental food, they are the nearest in a 15 mile radius. It's worth the trip to Lebanon for a much better restaurant.