“Satisfied Stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newbury
Morristown, NJ
“Satisfied Stay”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We spent three nights over Thanksgiving in a two bedroom loft suite. We found the arrangement to be very comfortable for my husband and me, and his mother. The main floor had a small kitchen, a dining area, a living room, a small desk area, a bedroom and a bathroom with a tub/shower. Stairs led up to the loft, which overlooked the living room. There was another bed in the loft, with an alcove containing a sofa bed, and a bathroom with a shower. There were televisions in the living room and both bedrooms, The living room had a gas fireplace which we used a lot for warmth and ambiance. The kitchen had a full size refrigerator with freezer, a two burner stove (no oven) and a microwave. The kitchen had a limited supply of basic items -- dinner plates, glasses, coffee mugs, silverware, two small pots. There was a coffee maker, but no coffee filters. Under the sink was a roll of paper towels, some dishcloths, a sponge and dishwash liquid. If you planned to do any real cooking, then you likely would have to bring some additional cookware. The first suite that we were assigned had a problem with its heating system, so we were immediately moved across the hall to another suite. The heating all seems to be controlled remotely, so that you don't have much controll over the temperature in your suite. We used the gas fireplace for extra heat in the evening. One night the Direct TV satellite system was out so we had no TV. We were told that it was a problem on the Direct TV end, not the hotel's internal system. You might want to bring some DVDs in case of similar outages. Any noise from the living room goes directly up to the loft sleeping area, so it would not be a good choice for the first person to go to bed. The beds were too firm for my taste. There is an indoor pool, hot tub, sauna and exercise area, but we did not use them. There is a casual bar-restaurant off the lobby, but we did not try it. All in all, we were very satisfied and enjoyed having more space than we would have had in two hotel rooms at the Best Western Hotel across the street. We will stay here again when visiting relatives in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank C1andG2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Troy, NY
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I propably wouldn't have chosen to stay here except for the groupon deal. It was off season and there is nothing to do. I imagine if we were winter or summer we would have enjoyed it more. I believe we were put on the first floor, which felt more like the basement, because of the groupon deal. The Lobby and Tavern are up a level and we were down with the spa, pool and exercise room. The room had everything we needed and the bed was comfortable. Just looked a little abused. The fridge had scrape marks all accross the front, the rug had marks in it which looked like someone melted something. There was a nice basket of goodies- cookies, crackers, and candies. But it turned out they were old, There was also 2 bananas which were way past their prime. The Wifi down on that level was hit or miss which irrates my husband. I don't know what the rooms are like on the upper floors. I assume they are nicer but I don't know for sure. The pool and indoor hot tub was nice and clean. There was also a small lap pool. The outdoor hottub is old and really just a bubbler (only air come out of the jets). We used it and brought our door card out like they told us but it didn't work to get back in. We would have had to go completely around the building in our wet suits but my husband used the card down the center of the door to open the lock! We had a bad experience across the street in Digbys which is owned by them. When we told the management they apologized and bought us each a drink in the Tavern. We ended up eating in the tavern which was ok. Poor bartender had to tend to the bar and all the tables which included taking food orders and serving the food. The cook would occasionaly come out an serve the food. I imagine it's better organized in the busy seasons. I asked when we checked in about a credit we were also suppose to get with the groupon and the women told me I should get in touch with groupon as she didn't know anything about it. When I check out, a different women told be I had a $75 credit I didn't use! She said I could use it at the general store on the property. We went there but what they carry are things you might use while staying at the property(cleaning supplies-toiletries). They have wine and beer but you can't use it for that. But a few $5 boxes of crackers and $5 cheeses and other items that are way over priced gets you up to the amount pretty quickly. $50 of it, I was able to apply to the extra night we stayed so we only had to spend $25 in the store. So if you get a good deal and your going to ski in the area or spend sometime in the summer, it's probably a good choide to stay here. There doesn't seem to be anything that's comperable in the area.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on floors 2 or 3.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Wendyxski
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I learned of Mountain Edge Resort and Spa by the Living Social deal. The deal was a discounted rate off the room with 50% off at the resort taverns, general store and best of all, the Spa!!! Making the reservations for room was fine but trying to make reservations for the spa seemed a bit more challenging. I was told by the Spa they were "pretty booked" and would have to call me back in a few days. I asked "pretty full, so that means you do have appointments?" Again the response was they would call me back. Well, I ended up calling them back in a few days to see about appointments at the spa. The spa had two massage appointments available on the day we arrived and a facial the following morning. I took what I could get. It seemed like they didn't want to honor multiple spa services at this amazing 50% deal.
Arrival day was on a Saturday. The accommodations were good and the tavern food was pub like food, nothing special. Everyone at the resort was pleasant. The place was clean and not crowded at all. I was called the night before from the spa to notify me if we wanted any other treatments they had a party cancel.
I was a bit disappointed with the spa. I've been to many spas for weekend getaways and this one needs a lot of work to really make it feel like a spa and relaxing atmosphere. When we first arrived at the spa we were greeting by a computer repair man that said "to go on in" we proceeded to a small ladies room/locker area and saw some robes and flip flops. We changed and there were no locks for the lockers so we carried them out to the "relaxation room" and then into treatment room. The furniture was old wicker and the lights weren't soft and inviting. I looked around the corner to see if there was any spa representative. Two ladies finally approached us and were pleasant and had us fill out some paper work. The actual treatment was fair at best for me. Not even close to massages I've had the past that had me completely relaxed in a coma like state. I was cold during the treatment and felt exposed. My mother on the other hand had a fabulous massage and facial. When it came time to check out of the spa the discount was applied and 20% gratuity was automatically added. I recall the website had prices that were cheaper than what was charged. When I questioned it the girl said the prices went up and she thought the website had been down. There were no other prices posted anywhere at the spa. When I got home I immediately went to the web site to check the pricing and it was down. Doesn’t compare to Cranwell Resort and Spa in Lenox or Church Landing in Meredith.
I would go back to resort but not the spa.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank yogiRN
New York
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Found this resort through a Groupon deal and bought the 2 night package for my girlfriends birthday gift. We made the trek up on a Friday morning/afternoon and stayed through Sunday morning.

We found the staff very helpful and accommodating from helping to get the fire place working to giving recommendations on where to eat (besides the tavern and restaurant that are part of the resort.) The area is absolutely beautiful and I would love to head back there during the winter for ski season.

We hit up the General Store right after check-in. It's right on the property and has most everything you need. We picked up breakfast supplies and wine. There is plenty available and cost isn't bad but for a longer stay you might want to run to a full grocery store.

Dinner the first night was spent at the tavern. The food was good and it wasn't overly crowded. The service was excellent and I was happy to enjoy a Jack and Coke that actually had Jack that I could taste while being in a glass that held enough drink so that I wouldn't need to buy 5 to get a mild buzz. Cost was excellent, but then being from NY most everywhere else is cheaper when it comes to dining out. Of course we did burn through our $75 credit from Groupon.

We spent our Saturday morning making breakfast (battling the supplied in room electric griddle) while making some "add water" pancakes and then went up to the mountain lodge to hike to the summit. The hike was highly enjoyable and the weather was fantastic. There was still a bit of snow from the weekend earlier but the trail was manageable. We never made the summit as we had an appointment at the spa we wanted to be back for.

The spa was fantastic. The "couples" massage is a bit misleading as you are in separate rooms. I've never been to a spa for a massage before, let alone a couples massage, but I figured it would at least be a shared experience. I left the spa massage drunk so I'll say it was a good experience. I can't speak anymore on the massage itself but the staff was friendly, and comfortable to be around (made this nervous guy feel at ease). If we go back again we will certainly visit the as well. We didn't get to enjoy the pool hot tubs or sauna.

Our groupon deal had us in a 1 bedroom with den. This room appears to sleep 6 with the 2 pull out couches. The rooms were clean, has a kitchen stocked with ample cooking tools and the fireplace was a fantastic treat as the night got chilly. I'd expect an HDTV in at least the living space for the cost of these rooms per night. We found ourselves cozied up on the couch each night watching DVDs with our wine. I'd expect that for a longer stay with more people this space would be just fine. There are no doors separating the 2 additional pull out sofas so privacy might be an issue there.

Staying with a group for a weekend would be ideal for the price point. I think we'll definitely find ourselves back here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank spatak
Hingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We visited Mountain Edge this past weekend, and had a fabulous time. it happened to coincide with the crazy early season snow storm!
The staff is warm and welcoming from the check in staff, to bartenders, wait staff,
to the General Manager. We arrived at 2:00pm, and were given our room right away even though check in wasn't until 4:00pm. Our room was an end/corner unit. It was spacious, comfortable and nicely appointed. It had a large, full kitchen, living room with tv/dvd player and balcony,den with desk and couch, large clean bathroom, bedroom with plenty of drawer space, a king sized comfortable bed and gorgeous mountain views. There was even a welcoming basket of juice, crackers and cheese, and other snack items waiting for us. The tavern was warm and inviting. Bartender Tom was right on with cold drinks, and Chef Paul makes the best pulled pork nachos around. You have to try them. Jim the General Manager was on hand to welcome us--very friendly and helfpul about things to do in the area, etc. The pool and hot tub was great, we were in the outdoor jacuzzi when the snow started to fall. It was really beautiful. Check out Digby's across the street, and say hi to Rochelle the bartender. Everyone was super friendly, we will be back for sure. This time with the whole family.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank southshore13
MA
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We visited this resort based on a coupon offer for two nights and resort dollars and we were not familiar with this property previously. We stayed mid-week and the resort was lightly occupied. The rooms and interior design are very well done and the quality of the room in terms of appointments and materials is impressive. The layout of the room we were in was well though out and made effective use of the space. Music is played in the hallways which is a nice touch but does bleed into a room a bit at night. This might bother a light sleeper.

The Spa area was inviting but the gym was surprisingly and disappointingly small for a resort. This situation would give me pause when deciding to return. There is a room off the lobby that is used for activities such as Yoga.

The staff was friendly upon arrival but overdid it a bit to the point that it felt strained. The warm welcome was nice but more important is how helpful the staff is. We were unable to get personal recommendations on restaurants in the area due to the newness of the staff (we were handed a book of menus which wasn't that helpful). We also had a situation where each night at around 4am we got a wake up call (which we did not request). We reported this the first morning after this happened and the staff claimed nothing was set. However, it happened again the next night and again the staff seemed unable to determine the cause.

A more troubling "rough edge" was the hotel running out of propane. My wife unfortunately found this out when showering. Clearly someone fell asleep at the wheel for this to happen. There was no warning (given the small number of guests it should have been easy to warn us of the situation) nor any notification of the status. It took a number of hours to get everything in order and the only explicit indication of progress was a large propane truck filling the parking lot with diesel fumes while refilling the tanks. The staff seemed totally flummoxed by this situation. Finally there were times during the evening when the front desk was unmanned.

Bottom line: great potential, excellent location, novice staff -- this resort has a ways to go to match the service level of many other attractive resorts in the northern New England area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CollegeParentsMA
Kittery, ME
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We visited Mountain's Edge mid-week earlier in the month on the recommendation of some co-workers and we had a wonderful time. The resort is really lovely. The lobby is quite impressive and the rooms (we stayed in one of the lofts) are really nice. While I was conerned that the rooms might be noisy from the previous posters complaints about the road...the resort is on a road...which was not all that busy but it is also set quite far back from the road. We didn't notice any noise from the road, even when we were on our deck or out on the hammocks in the front of the hotel. we also didn't notice any noise from the hallways or from other rooms. We used the pools and visited the spa for a massage. we didn't have any trouble getting an appointment. the service was great and the prices were reasonable. The only trouble we had in our room was when one of the remotes did not work and the front desk brought us a new one right away. the front desk was also really helpful on tips of things to do in the area. We went hiking and swimming at the state park right near the resort. It was really a beautiful area. I'd recommend the hotel for couples or for families. We ate in both of the restaurants and the food was good at both locations. I'm pretty sure we'll be back for another visit or two this winter. We ski but have not tried Mt. Sunapee before---it is just up the road from the hotel so it would be the perfect spot for us once the snow flies. I look forward to our return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shannon G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbury
Sunapee Lake Lodge
Follansbee Inn
Follansbee Inn
#1 of 3 in Sutton
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort

Been to Mountain Edge Resort & Spa at Sunapee? Share your experiences!