“A Restful and Relaxed Weekend Getaway”

Mountain Edge Resort & Spa at Sunapee
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We booked a last minute weekend getaway at the Mountain Edge Resort & Spa last weekend and loved it!

The resort is nestled in a picturesque mountain spot in between Sunapee Ski Area and Lake Sunapee - making it the perfect four season destination. Our room was quaintly decorated and spacious with a great little kitchen with a breakfast nook, a huge bathroom, a beautiful view and a fireplace to make it cozy and warm. We enjoyed the outdoor hot tub while watching the sun go down in the evenings and had great pub style meals in the restaurant.

The thing that set this resort apart for us was the people....customer service is key and they deliver 150%! We were checked in by Jim, a really friendly, down-to-earth guy, who seemed to be everywhere ensuring that guests were well taken care of. Tom took our reservation, was extremely helpful in answering all of our questions and made sure that all the arrangements were made to make our stay a pleasure.

We live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and enjoyed the leisurely and scenic drives to get there and back. Next time we would elect to stay a few more days to balance out the drive.

We had a fantastic romantic getaway and would highly recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BlondieTravellerGirl

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I had read mixed reviews on this property and had a very enjoyable trip away! We only stayed one evening and I wish that we could have stayed longer. The property was well maintained and it was a ghost town on a Sunday night! Exactly what I wanted. I got a deal on Groupon and it was so worth it!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
MER-Mgr, General Manager at Mountain Edge Resort & Spa at Sunapee, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Thanks to the reviewer for their kind words, glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Please visit again soon!

Amy Carney
Resort Manager

Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at Mountain Edge Resort for school vacation this year, what a great place to stay! The room had a full size kitchen and a huge bathroom. Free shuttle to the ski mountain and a Tavern open nightly with pretty good food and bar service. The staff was friendly and helpful and answered all of our questions. There is also a private members club associated with the property and they didn't hassle us at all, answered all of our questions promptly and with no pressure to buy anything at all. We will definitely be back next year! Thanks Mountain Edge for a great time!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Angela176

The Staff and Management of Mountain Edge Resort & Spa sincerely thank the reviewing guests for staying with us, and are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Please come back soon!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We spent eight nights, over President's weekend holiday, at the Mountain Edge Resort. There were four of us (my wife, our teenager daughter and her friend) and our accommodations were very comfortable. In the living room, there was a sliding glass door to a small deck that had an excellent view between numerous white birch trees that reside in the front of the resort. Further, the living room had a fine gas fireplace which we used a lot for warmth and ambiance. A some what smallish, cable connected, TV and DVD player were above the fireplace. Wired and wireless Internet connectivity were provided at no extra cost. The kitchen had a full size refrigerator and freezer, a burner stove, a microwave and a decently sized counter top. Basic items, such as glasses, coffee mugs, dinner plates and silverware, etc are provided. There was a coffee maker, but interestingly, no coffee filters were provided from housekeeping. The sizable bathroom included a tub/shower. A nice sized bedroom, inclusive of a queen bed (with another cable connected TV) and a room with a pull out sofa bed rounded out the suite. There are two indoor pools and a nice sauna. The outdoor hot tub is a sweet addition but be careful not to slip. There is a exercise area and spa but we did not use them after our long days of skiing at Mt. Sunapee. A shuttle bus provides quick and hassle free access to the mountain btw. A casual restaurant/bar, which is located off the lobby, provided several nights’ of easy access and reasonable priced dinners but don't expect gourmet food.Bottom line and all in all, we were very satisfied and will stay here again when on vacation and skiing with the family

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jerry M

Thanks to the reviewer for your candid review of your stay at Mountain Edge Resort & Spa. While it is great to hear all of the things you enjoyed, we very much appreciate your feedback on facets of the resort experience that we can improve. Rest assured, we'll work diligently in the future to continually maintain and improve our resort amenities to provide the best stay experience possible. Thanks again, we hope to see you again soon!

Amy Carney
Resort Manager

Reviewed 30 November 2011

We spent three nights over Thanksgiving in a two bedroom loft suite. We found the arrangement to be very comfortable for my husband and me, and his mother. The main floor had a small kitchen, a dining area, a living room, a small desk area, a bedroom and a bathroom with a tub/shower. Stairs led up to the loft, which overlooked the living room. There was another bed in the loft, with an alcove containing a sofa bed, and a bathroom with a shower. There were televisions in the living room and both bedrooms, The living room had a gas fireplace which we used a lot for warmth and ambiance. The kitchen had a full size refrigerator with freezer, a two burner stove (no oven) and a microwave. The kitchen had a limited supply of basic items -- dinner plates, glasses, coffee mugs, silverware, two small pots. There was a coffee maker, but no coffee filters. Under the sink was a roll of paper towels, some dishcloths, a sponge and dishwash liquid. If you planned to do any real cooking, then you likely would have to bring some additional cookware. The first suite that we were assigned had a problem with its heating system, so we were immediately moved across the hall to another suite. The heating all seems to be controlled remotely, so that you don't have much controll over the temperature in your suite. We used the gas fireplace for extra heat in the evening. One night the Direct TV satellite system was out so we had no TV. We were told that it was a problem on the Direct TV end, not the hotel's internal system. You might want to bring some DVDs in case of similar outages. Any noise from the living room goes directly up to the loft sleeping area, so it would not be a good choice for the first person to go to bed. The beds were too firm for my taste. There is an indoor pool, hot tub, sauna and exercise area, but we did not use them. There is a casual bar-restaurant off the lobby, but we did not try it. All in all, we were very satisfied and enjoyed having more space than we would have had in two hotel rooms at the Best Western Hotel across the street. We will stay here again when visiting relatives in the area.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank C1andG2
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I propably wouldn't have chosen to stay here except for the groupon deal. It was off season and there is nothing to do. I imagine if we were winter or summer we would have enjoyed it more. I believe we were put on the first floor, which felt more like the basement, because of the groupon deal. The Lobby and Tavern are up a level and we were down with the spa, pool and exercise room. The room had everything we needed and the bed was comfortable. Just looked a little abused. The fridge had scrape marks all accross the front, the rug had marks in it which looked like someone melted something. There was a nice basket of goodies- cookies, crackers, and candies. But it turned out they were old, There was also 2 bananas which were way past their prime. The Wifi down on that level was hit or miss which irrates my husband. I don't know what the rooms are like on the upper floors. I assume they are nicer but I don't know for sure. The pool and indoor hot tub was nice and clean. There was also a small lap pool. The outdoor hottub is old and really just a bubbler (only air come out of the jets). We used it and brought our door card out like they told us but it didn't work to get back in. We would have had to go completely around the building in our wet suits but my husband used the card down the center of the door to open the lock! We had a bad experience across the street in Digbys which is owned by them. When we told the management they apologized and bought us each a drink in the Tavern. We ended up eating in the tavern which was ok. Poor bartender had to tend to the bar and all the tables which included taking food orders and serving the food. The cook would occasionaly come out an serve the food. I imagine it's better organized in the busy seasons. I asked when we checked in about a credit we were also suppose to get with the groupon and the women told me I should get in touch with groupon as she didn't know anything about it. When I check out, a different women told be I had a $75 credit I didn't use! She said I could use it at the general store on the property. We went there but what they carry are things you might use while staying at the property(cleaning supplies-toiletries). They have wine and beer but you can't use it for that. But a few $5 boxes of crackers and $5 cheeses and other items that are way over priced gets you up to the amount pretty quickly. $50 of it, I was able to apply to the extra night we stayed so we only had to spend $25 in the store. So if you get a good deal and your going to ski in the area or spend sometime in the summer, it's probably a good choide to stay here. There doesn't seem to be anything that's comperable in the area.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on floors 2 or 3.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Wendyxski
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I learned of Mountain Edge Resort and Spa by the Living Social deal. The deal was a discounted rate off the room with 50% off at the resort taverns, general store and best of all, the Spa!!! Making the reservations for room was fine but trying to make reservations for the spa seemed a bit more challenging. I was told by the Spa they were "pretty booked" and would have to call me back in a few days. I asked "pretty full, so that means you do have appointments?" Again the response was they would call me back. Well, I ended up calling them back in a few days to see about appointments at the spa. The spa had two massage appointments available on the day we arrived and a facial the following morning. I took what I could get. It seemed like they didn't want to honor multiple spa services at this amazing 50% deal.
Arrival day was on a Saturday. The accommodations were good and the tavern food was pub like food, nothing special. Everyone at the resort was pleasant. The place was clean and not crowded at all. I was called the night before from the spa to notify me if we wanted any other treatments they had a party cancel.
I was a bit disappointed with the spa. I've been to many spas for weekend getaways and this one needs a lot of work to really make it feel like a spa and relaxing atmosphere. When we first arrived at the spa we were greeting by a computer repair man that said "to go on in" we proceeded to a small ladies room/locker area and saw some robes and flip flops. We changed and there were no locks for the lockers so we carried them out to the "relaxation room" and then into treatment room. The furniture was old wicker and the lights weren't soft and inviting. I looked around the corner to see if there was any spa representative. Two ladies finally approached us and were pleasant and had us fill out some paper work. The actual treatment was fair at best for me. Not even close to massages I've had the past that had me completely relaxed in a coma like state. I was cold during the treatment and felt exposed. My mother on the other hand had a fabulous massage and facial. When it came time to check out of the spa the discount was applied and 20% gratuity was automatically added. I recall the website had prices that were cheaper than what was charged. When I questioned it the girl said the prices went up and she thought the website had been down. There were no other prices posted anywhere at the spa. When I got home I immediately went to the web site to check the pricing and it was down. Doesn’t compare to Cranwell Resort and Spa in Lenox or Church Landing in Meredith.
I would go back to resort but not the spa.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank yogiRN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbury
Sunapee Lake Lodge
#1 of 3 in Sutton
Rosewood Country Inn
Rosewood Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Bradford

Been to Mountain Edge Resort & Spa at Sunapee? Share your experiences!