“A Most Pleasant Experience”

Mountain Edge Resort & Spa at Sunapee
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We have stayed at several resorts that to an urban dweller would seem to be well off the beaten track. Of these, Mountain Edge is certainly the best. We spent five days during the low spot between early Autumn and Winter. We had a one BR suite on second floor with full kitchen, overlooking road. Our room accommodations were nearly perfect. Television was excellent, free Wi-Fi in room with excellent response.

The entire staff, Tom the owner, GM Jesse and his front desk staff, maid service, spa, restaurant, were without exception courteous, helpful, and always friendly. The restaurant is the Mountain Spirit Tavern. Its chef, Paul, offered surprising and well-prepared creations. The restaurant had a minimum staff because of the season, but still provided excellent food and service. The restaurant serves only an evening meal; a nuisance only, since we did have a kitchen and there is a breakfast place down the road.

A game room/library is on the upper floor, supplied with overstuffed couches, board games and reading materials. The resort has an elevator, important for people with walking difficulties. Swimming pool is perhaps nine meters long, in any case long enough to do short laps. Heated pool is close to 104F (40C). Exercise room was well appointed.

The down side? Distances, mostly. The resort has an attached General Store with convenience store prices. The nearest grocery store and shopping area are in Newport, about eleven miles away. Another good restaurant, Bubba’s, is about two miles down the road.

I suspect this place changes its personality when the snow is on the ground and the resort fills up. But for Autumn touring, I have not seen anything better. I agree with the sentiments in other recent reviews. Mountain Edge Resort is a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mountain Edge Resort & Spa at Sunapee

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We wanted to get in one last hike and I saw a deal in my inbox.
The place is fabulous. We had a 1 bedroom Den suite which was awesome. Large kingsize bed in the bedroom, a huge bathroom and a living room with a gas fireplace.
The den would have been perfect had we brought our daughter, no door, but a nice pull out couch and desk. A very efficient kitchen with full size fridge, and stove top.
The Tavern had a small but incredibly good menu. Paul makes incredible prime-rib on Friday's and his red sauce and homemade meatballs are delicious. They are not open for breakfast, the Country Kitchen just down the road is a perfect spot, but plan on doing a lot of hiking to burn off the meal!

We'll be back again. Nothing short of a wonderful weekend

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I loved Mountain Edge Resort & Spa!!!! The place is great, the staff was super helpful. Our bedroom was to die for, super comfy king size bed, the kitchen is a plus (very well equipped one)!!! Loved the pool and hot tub. Everything was spotless, very pretty. The restaurant was really good. They even have a convenience store. We will be back next year!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I loved staying at Mountain Edge. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and they have some pet friendly rooms, which is very convenient (but call first, from conversations with staff some people just show up with pets unannounced and not all the rooms are pet friendly). The kitchen has a full size stainless refrigerator, 2 burner cooktop, microwave, dishwasher and 12 cup coffee maker. Our room had a king size bed with pillow top mattress that was very comfortable. There are 3 TVs (2 in bedroom and 1 in family room), and the place is decorated like a lodge, with extensive use of reclaimed barnwood timbers which is reminiscent of some grand hotels in the west we've been through.

The staff members at this place are awesome. I have encountered front dest staff, maintenance/grounds staff, and room service staff, and they all seem to be genuinely friendly. For example, one day I wanted to vacuum out my car, but my cord wouldn't reach, and the maintenance staff member went way out of his way to get me an extension cord. He was also very friendly and polite. Similarly with housekeeping staff. I ran into them when I returned to my room early once, and they were very kind and I felt totally confident having them in 'my space'. Jesse the hotel manager is consistently kind, and he goes out of his way to make your stay comfortable. At other hotels, I've felt the staff were well trained in customer service, but didn't... FEEL it. At the Mountain Edge, it felt like I was just surrounded by happy, friendly staff, and my interactions with them were very natural and friendly.

The pool and hot tub were nice, and there is a dry sauna as well. All are clean and inviting. There is also an 'endless lap pool' that uses jets to create a current... cool, but I don't swim for exercise so I didn't use it.

I think one of my favorite parts of the hotel is the restaurant, the Mountain Spirit Tavern, and I ate there every chance I got. The chef came out to our table and asked for feedback (all positive!) which was a nice touch. While we were here the restaurant operated with 1 chef and 1 waitress, it isn't so big that isn't doable and all the service was prompt and friendly, even on a busy night. I tried many items off the menu and the kitchen works to be accommodating (my wife is vegetarian) and everything was tasty, reasonably priced, and filling. This is good, because as we discovered, there aren't that many places around to eat, and this was by far the most convenient. It feels a little undiscovered... based on the quality, I'm very surprised it wasn't busier more often, but that might have just been the time of year (not ski season). I highly recommend the open faced roast beef sandwich if it is on the menu when you come.

Also convenient is the on-site convenience store, they have drinks, alcohol, coffee, candy and actual food too. So if you don't want to drive into town for a big trip, go to the Rosewood Barn near the entrance driveway.

If I had to be picky, there were a few things that weren't perfect. One of the coin op washing machines in the laundry was out of order when we went to wash our clothes, so we couldn't do 2 loads of laundry at once. And the fireplace was turned off, (I think for the summer) but we would have liked to use it on a chilly September night. But these are kind of a stretch, they didn't impact my enjoyment of my stay.

I didn't visit the spa so I can't comment on it.

We are in the middle of a cross country move to the Sunapee, NH area for my wife's job, and our encounter with the staff and accommodations at Mountain Edge were once of our first encounters with anyone in the area. They made us feel welcome, not only to their establishment, but also to the area. When family and friends come to visit, we will definitely have them stay at the Mountain Edge, and I would confidently recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor near the entrance from the parking lot, which was very convenient for br...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Quiet, clean facilities. Wonderful staff. Outdoor & Indoor pool. Hot tub. Great food (we had the Reuben, Spaghetti & Meatballs, and Caesar Salad). Small grocery store down the hill with basic needs. Had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2013

So we just got back from the Mountain Edge Resort and Spa at Sunapee. Joe at the desk went above and beyond in many ways, for one, letting me use his phone charger overnight. The resort is spotless, and beautiful. The tavern was reasonably priced with great food. There is Adventure Park right next door with fun things to do, a beach across the street and the lake is a mile up the road. You can rent jet skis, pontoons. The resort has two pools, one indoor, another outdoor. An indoor and outdoor hot tub, and infinity pool for laps. The room was spacious, had a real size fridge, a big tub, a loft, three TV's and a fireplace. I'm telling you I can't wait to spend more time there.

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom with a loft and small veranda. Awesome.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gypsy1192
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We were a group of twenty-four at The Tavern at the Mountain Edge Resort and Spa. Arrangements were made with the owner in advance and it went without a hitch. The service was efficient, food was hot and delicious and everyone had a great time. I would recommend this restaurant for group functions without hesitation.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank zgdm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbury
Sunapee Lake Lodge
#1 of 3 in Sutton
Inn at Pleasant Lake
Inn at Pleasant Lake
#1 of 6 in New London

Been to Mountain Edge Resort & Spa at Sunapee? Share your experiences!