“Long Winter Weekend in North Conway”
Review of Eastern Slope Inn

Eastern Slope Inn
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My family had the opportunity to stay at Eastern Slope in one of the RCI Timeshare Condo's for a long weekend. We stayed in the building nearest the theater (closed in the winter) just on the other side of the RCI timeshare we used this past summer.

The property is fairly well taken care of in the winter months when the North Conway area is pretty busy with skiers and other winter sports enthusiast. Parking was plentiful and it appeared most people were fairly close to their rentals or the inn itself, depending upon where they were staying (the inn appeared to be much more full than the timeshare area since school vacation only stared for MA & ME kids Friday afternoon and the timeshares run from Sunday to Sunday).

We shared a unit with friends so we had all three floors though it is technically two units and my understanding is they can be rented separately if the owner puts them in the rental pool. Our first reaction was "IT'S HOT IN HERE" which continued the whole time was stayed. We had heat off and windows/doors open and we just couldn't get the temperature right. We found it much easier to maintain a normal temp when we visited another unit in the same building in the summer as the AC worked great. This side of the building, at least the unit we were in, wasn't as nice at the other side of the building in regards to the kitchen. The cabinets were outdated and the cook tops were older. It seemed a bit smaller though there is still a small dishwasher and a very small fridge. The bathrooms in both units were adequate though all vanities need to be replaced as they are showing their age as is the jetted tubs. Everything was very clean - they obviously have a good housekeeping staff since I felt the same way during my the last visit.

Beds were comfortable. Not like home but better than average. The Murphy bed's are fine. The pull out sofa was good for one person but I don't think two adults would be comfortable. Bedding/Linens are in good shape. TV's are newer flat screens and had good picture quality. Lighting in the upper unit was wonky and included 1970's style pot/spot lights which were very harsh and didn't help the overheated feeling.

The pool was nice though the ventilation system seemed "off" and the pool area was very very warm - too warm for my taste. It would have been nice if a skylight was opened to slightly cool things down and remove the very very strong chlorine smell. It was so strong that our group had headaches after using the pool the first afternoon. It didn't appear the chlorine level was too high in the pool but just that ventilation was not up to par. The lobby of the Inn is a nice place to sit and read or people watch. The game room was very very warm which was odd since it's in the basement of the Inn.

If this place could upgrade the fridges in the areas where people stay more than a day or two it would make this a higher rated place. It's located in a great area and is generally quiet. I did witness quite a few children who needed adult supervision but I believe it was part of the influx of children visiting due to school vacation. We tried hard to keep our kids quiet in the evening and early morning but unfortunately not everyone does the same! Eastern Slope is a family place so the noise level wasn't much louder than expected.

Would visit again though I'm not sure I'd be up to visiting during a school winter vacation week!

Room Tip: If you're not staying more than a few days/weekend and have young children, try a room in the in...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Rumbledolly
NHAMSCO, Front Office Manager at Eastern Slope Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Thank you for your detailed review of our resort. I am sorry if the units you stayed in at the Randall House were hot. We did experience unseasonably warm temperatures this past winter, this may have been the cause of the warmer temperatures in your unit. However, if ever you feel there are items that may need some attention we strongly encourage you to contact our front desk team, so we can have someone come and address your concerns.

Thank you for the information you provided regarding the ventilation in the pool area. I will pass your comments on to our Maintenance Manager to review.

The Randall House and the Main Inn are two of the more historic buildings on our property. We regularly inspect all units and upgrade items as needed. We have also started an in-depth renovation project this past fall, which will see all units in the Main Inn and the Randall House receiving extensive upgrades over the coming year, including upgrades to kitchens, baths, and furnishings.

As you indicated you have stayed with us before in some of our other buildings, and you seem to have enjoyed your stay. We hope you will continue to come back so you can see the improvements we are making throughout the resort and we look forward to seeing you then.

There are newer reviews for Eastern Slope Inn

Reviewed 18 February 2012

We just returned form our one week stay at the ESI and it was really a pleasant experience. I traveled with my husband and 3 kids and read all the reviews before leaving Connecticut. I called in advance to ask for a room in the Inn because I thought the kids would be able to walk to the pool, playroom and movie room without going outside. The drawback was a probably smaller unit with the view of the street vs the mountains. I loved the unit and we did take advantage of all those amenities almost daily. Clean, updated and very comfortable. The best thing, however about the resort is the staff. I can't say enough about how up-beat they were . I must have approached them with a million questions and I never felt attitude or impatience. Everything was "yes we can".
We ate at some places that were recommended including the Moat, Muddy Moose and a local favorite called the Scarecrow. All were very good and prices at all were about comparable. We skied at Cranmore and Attitash--both short drives and considering we had very little snowfall, their snowmaking and grooming were fantastic. Conditions could not be beat. For us, we traveled on a non-holiday week and there were no lift lines and the slopes were just wide open. One place not to be missed for kids is the Weather Museum right across the street from the ESI. Free admission and lots of great hands on exhibits. Try and be there for 11 am or 2 pm. I don't want to say any more about that because I was so pleasantly surprised. We went back 4 times during the week.
Finally, I would definitely recommend this Inn if you like to be in the midst of town with a short walk or drive to everything.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank notnow

Thank you for your very kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in the Main Inn and that you found our resort staff to be up beat. We are fortunate to have a very knowledgeable team who really enjoy interacting with our guests and helping our guests learn about all our area has to offer, from restaurants to attractions.

Your helpful hints about the weather museum are right on, and we hope other guests reading your review take the time when they come to North Conway to stop in.

Thank you for your recommendation and we hope to see you again the next time you and your family come to visit the area.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed at the Eastern Slope Inn February 2 - 5, 2012 with my husband. It was just a quick weekend away to do some snowboarding, relaxing, and trying to enjoy winter during Connecticut's winter that never was. The exterior of the inn was lovely. Good location in the center of the main street in North Conway, NH, only a couple minutes drive from several mountains and walking distance to great restaurants and shopping.

Check in was fairly smooth and quick. We had to drive to the back parking lot to access our room in the Whitaker House. It was a lovely view out the back to the woods and the mountains. The room was very nice, although I was a little put off at first by the murphy bed. The decor was pretty typical, but the fireplace was lovely! We had a small balcony which was nice to get a breath of fresh air or check the temperature in the morning. We also had a kitchen with everything but a stove. We didn't use it much but the microwave and fridge were handy for restaurant doggie bags to become midnight snacks or lunches later on. The bathroom was spacious and included a large jetted tub. This was the best thing to come back to after a full day snowboarding with some pretty sore muscles. It was not billed as a two person tub, but was plenty big for my husband and I to sit and soak and thaw out.

We did not use the hot tub or swimming pools, but did grab dinner at the on site Flatbread Company which is a restaurant we have eaten at before and was good, as expected. I recommend Flatbread's bloody mary. The bartender told me the mix was made locally and could be purchased at Zeb's General Store, just up the road.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alison S

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for our weekend away. I am happy that your accommodations in the Whitaker House Suites were to your liking. The rooms with fireplaces and spa tubs are definitely a plus after a day on the slopes. Topping the night off with dinner and drinks at Flatbread right on the property sounds like the perfect ending to a perfect day.

We hope you continue to stay with us when you come back to the valley and look forward to seeing you then.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

We visit the Inn every year. We have a room with 2 floors, 2 comfy queens upstairs with a bath and downstairs a murphy bed, pull out queen couch, full size fridge, micro and 2 burner stovetop. It's clean, cozy and so perfectly located. We are right in downtown, near the train station, golf course, restaurants, shops a few miles from the outlet, Storyland and Attitash. They also have Flatbreads pizza inside the Inn. It has a playground, indoor pool, hot tube, outdoor spa and a small game room. Seriously, it combines old New England charm with just what you need and want in a vaca. I can't say enough about this spot.

Room Tip: Ask for a one bedroom. They're bigger and more friendly.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank gypsy1192

Your repeat business and kind review are greatly appreciated. I am happy that we are able to meet your expectations for a family vacation in New England and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

We had a great time staying at the Inn. Right in the heart of North Conway. Walking distance of many good restaurants. One being owned by Vito Marcello, who I had seen on TV. Have a glass of wine or a bottle, no need to drive home you can walk. Another great place Horsefeathers and there is more. We shopped all day at Settlers Green Outlet Stores, went in the hot tub that night. We also enjoyed the pool and rented some DVD's. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: We rented a small suite with a kitchen a pull out couch and l bedroom with two twin beds.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank maureen r

Thank you for taking time to post a review our resort and the area. There are so many great restaurants in the Village, it is hard to choose, but Vito Marcellos is definitely the best for an authentic Italian dinner. Tax-free outlet shopping in North Conway is also a must, hopefully you were able to visit some of the boutiques right on property and throughout the Village as well. If not you now have a reason to come back and stay with us again and we hope you do.

Reviewed 28 January 2012

This was my first visit to North Conway and I couldn't have found a nicer place to stay. The staff at the Eastern Slope Inn was friendly and accommodating. We arrived early evening and had a van FULL of goods for the week. My husband was injured and not able to help unload, but that was not a problem. Someone on staff helped us unpack the van (two carts completely full) and take it to our room - he couldn't have been nicer. The rooms themselves were great - very clean and equipped for our week in the mountains. The beds were sooooo comfortable and the partial kitchen had everything we needed to cook for our time there, to include a microwave/convection oven (our unit was the efficiency plus one bedroom). The hotel sits in the middle of the MOST adorable town, so shopping and dining are within walking distance. This would include a delicious flat-bread pizza restaurant and coffee shop within the hotel! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would definitely return. THANK YOU, Eastern Slope Inn!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MWatkins86
NHAMSCO, Front Office Manager at Eastern Slope Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

I am glad you chose our resort for your first trip to North Conway. Thank you very much for your comments about our resort, we couldn’t have asked for a better review.

I am sorry your husband was injured; hopefully you both were able to relax and recuperate while visiting our area. Our night houseman is always happy to help our guest with any thing you need.

The next time you make the trip north to visit the Mt Washington Valley area, we hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Booked into the Eastern Slope Inn through an RCI exchange for our annual MLK weekend trip with friends. I called prior to the trip to find out the specifics of the rooms, only to find that one room didn't even have a bedroom...just a pull out couch and a murphy bed. And the rooms were in separate buildings. I had the front desk clerk make a notation that we would like to be switched to a room with a bed, and have rooms closer together. When we checked in, the rooms were just a few doors down from each other, and both were the nice 2-level rooms with a full bedroom upstairs. THANK YOU FRONT DESK!!!!
Now, we found the rooms pretty compact...upstairs had two queen beds and a dresser...and you could barely get into the dresser. The bed was well worth anything you had to put up with, though - the most comfortable bed & linens EVER!
downstairs was also small...but VERY clean, and modern. TV in the sitting area was small, but flat screen.
Pool area was clean, roomy and loved having two hot tubs. Coffee shop off the lobby was fantastic, with a great selection of quick breakfasts.
But best of all was the convenience. Easy walk to all of the downtown shopping and restaurants, as well as cross-country skiing across the street.
We had a really great time at this place, and I would easily stay here again or recommend it. The only faults that I found were the smallness of the rooms, and the thinness of the walls. Luckily we didn't have really noisy neighbors, but you could still clearly hear people walking, turning on showers, opening doors, etc.

Room Tip: I would definitely inquire about the accommodations when choosing a room. Our first room had only a...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Robin N

I am pleased to hear that our front desk team was able to change your accommodations around to get your units close to each other and with the type of bedding you were expecting. Whenever a guest is booking with RCI, I highly recommend they contact the resort prior to their arrival, as you did, to get a description of the unit and make any special requests. This allows our team time to try and make any adjustments if necessary before you check in.

In addition to the many onsite ammonites, the resort is ideally located on Main Street in the Village making it very convenient to enjoy the shops, restaurants and in the winter, walk to the cross-country ski trails at Whitaker Woods, as you noted.

I am glad you chose our resort for your annual MLK trip with friends and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.