“Great Stay at this wonderful Inn”
Review of Eastern Slope Inn

Eastern Slope Inn
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Mendenhall, Mississippi
“Great Stay at this wonderful Inn”
Reviewed 25 January 2011

This is the third year in a row that we have spent a winter vacation in New Hampshire at this great location in North Conway. It is close to quaint shops and restaurants, and many ski resorts. The folks, particularly Megan, the front desk manager, have been absolutely great to work with us. They work with us to put our extended family in adjacent rooms, and are just very "accomodating" in every way. Our family really looks forward to this time together, and the Eastern Slope Inn is a big part of that.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sda18
NHAMSCO, Front Office Manager at Eastern Slope Inn, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Thank you for continuing to choose Eastern Slope Inn for your families winter vacation to New Hampshire. North Conway is truly a perfect location for a family get together. As you mentioned, the great in town location and close proximity to so many of the White Mountain’s Winter Recreational facilities make is easy for families to stay together at the resort, and then branch out in smaller groups to go off and enjoy your favorite winter activity whether that is skiing, snowshoeing, tubing, snowmobile or shopping.

Being such a large resort with several different buildings, it does happen that parties traveling together end up in completely different locations throughout the resort. We are happy to make arrangements when ever possible to keep all parties staying together in the same area, and I am glad we have been able to make these arrangements for you and your family.

I am pleased to read that you and your family had a great time and can’t wait to see you back in New Hampshire again next winter if not sooner.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Hanover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Just returned from North Conway yesterday and stayed at the Eastern Slope Inn. I've stayed at many places there over the years, but for the price this hotel topped them all.

First off, regarding the negative reviews I read before we went...we stayed in the main building, but the staff was VERY friendly and accomodating. I have no doubt that if asked, they would have went out of thier way to take care of any issues we might have had. Some of these reviews obviously come from people who don't understand how to approach problems in a constructive manner.

So, all in all our stay was wonderful. The room was a size you would expect and was very clean and comfortable. I have back problems and usually have issues with beds in hotels, but this bed was COMFY. Two types of pillows depending on what your preference is and very cozy. Everything was in serviceable condition. Bathroom was a bit small, but definitely functionable. Had a nice heat lamp too for when you come in from the cold or back from the pool. Nice touch. They do use green products here (referring to the review regarding the toilet paper), but if you care about the environment half as much as you care about yourself this shouldn't bother you. I applaud it, and it's definitely NOT as bad as he made it out to be. The hotel also had some great amenities, such as a nice gameroom for the kids, an indoor pool/hot tub and outdoor hot tub (that was open and worked), as well as a great coffee shop, bar, and restaurant (Flat Bread is a must try for pizza lovers). Lastly, this hotel could not be in a better location. You are right in the middle of everything.

All in all I was very impressed. The one gripe I had was that midway through our stay two couples checked into the room next to us and we shared one of those adjoining doors between the two. They smoked constantly and I'm not sure they ever left the room, so we had smoke billowing in our room all weekend. It's strange to me that they would put non-smoking rooms next to smoking rooms, but we were out most of the time doing things anyway. I would not let that deter me from returning.

Thank you for a wonderful weekend, and we'll be sure to return. Oh, and make sure you check out Peaches for breakfast/lunch. I LOVE breakfast, and tend to be a little too critical at like restaurants. I could not find one negative thing to say about that place. I have no idea how I haven't heard about it sooner. It was freakin delicious. Go.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SomberShogun
NHAMSCO, Front Office Manager at Eastern Slope Inn, responded to this review, 24 January 2011
Thank you so much for the incredibly nice review of our resort. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back again soon!
I apologize about the guest smoking in the unit next to you. All of our accommodations are non-smoking, and smoking rooms are not available. When we have a report from guests or other resort staff of a room that seems to have guests smoking in it, we try to contact that guest and remind them of our no smoking policy. I am sorry we did not catch this during your stay, but assure you we will continue to be diligent in enforcing this policy.

Peaches is a fantastic breakfast restaurant and we often refer our guests there. If you are back in the area and would like to try another really good breakfast place, you should check out the Stairway Café. It’s about 2 blocks away from the Main Inn, across from the Conway Scenic Railroad and is also fantastic.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Gardner IL
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Check in was great. Friendly folks everywhere. We had 2 units to sleep 10. Lots of room, very clean... only complaint I had about accommodations was the inability to adjust the heat efficiently from first floor to the third floor even with separate thermostats... and could use more cooking equipment in kitchen, such as baking sheets. Place was clean and gave us lots of room to gather and have fun as a family. Loved the big spa tubs in the bathroom! Beds were comfortable, murphy bed comfortable and sofa beds as comfy as a sofa bed can be. Front Desk called shortly after we checked in to make sure everything was okay... addressed our concerns immediately. Called our last night there to ask for an extra hour for check out the next day and they gave it to us cheerfully without any questions! Pool was wonderful, game room fun although we didn't use the businesses on site they were very busy! Parking is somewhat limited for inn guests until businesses close, a slight inconvenience when traveling with small children. Scheduled activities and movie nights.
It is set in a wonderful quaint historical atmosphere... lots of little shops in walking distance, ski slopes just blocks away, outlet shops within a few miles, All in All a wonderful experience!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lrankovich
We are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay at Eastern Slope Inn. We apologize if the heat in your unit was difficult to regulate. If you did not report this issue during your stay with us and have time to contact us at the resort, we would like to know what unit you were in so our maintenance department can address this issue. We will also pass your suggestions on to our housekeeping manager, regarding additional items that would be useful in the kitchen area.

Being a unique resort located in the heart of a small village with several restaurants, coffee shops and businesses on property we do experience a high volume of vehicles parking in and around the property that belong to patrons of these establishments as well as resort guests. Although we have plenty of different parking lots, there are times when a guest may find it more difficult to park in the one closest to their unit. We encourage our guests who may experience challenges with parking to please let the front desk know.

Thank you very much for your positive comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 January 2011

The Eastern Slope Inn is a historic, classic New England Inn. I visit New Hampshire fairly often to ski and visit with relatives. One of the inn's best attributes is its location in North Conway. There are many neat little towns in the region, and North Conway is a favorite. More on this later.

Eastern Slope Inn comprises the old historic inn, where I stayed previously, and several outlying properties. This time is stayed in their "Norcross" building to try something different. These units are located above shops next to the train station, about a block from the main inn. When you see the building and walk in the front door, it's hard to imagine what you will find. What I found was nice. One flight of stairs gets you to the unit's entrance and kitchen level; one more flight of stairs gets you to a very nice master suite. (If stairs are an issue, inquire about what is available without stairs.)

The lower level of the unit is basically OK; the upper level has the Wow factor.

Lower level: It has a fold-down, queen-size murphy bed as well as a queen-size sleeper sofa. A large CRT-style TV with DVD player complements the downstairs living area. A "partial" kitchen and dining area is also on the lower level. The kitchen is actually well-equipped except that there is no oven. There is a 2-burner range and microwave. Service for 6 is supplied and includes all that you would expect. There is electric baseboard heating and a heating/cooling unit with remote control. There is also a full bathroom on the lower level.

The open architecture of the upper level is spacious and works well. A large gas fireplace is the primary heat, but there is also an air conditioner, and electric heat for the full bathroom. In addition to the bathroom, there is a beautiful jacuzzi and another vanity/sink. A king-size bed, love seat-sleeper and balcony complete the unit. There was also a huge, old rear-projection TV with DVD player.

This is rated as a 1-bedroom unit. There are actually 7 places to sleep (2+2+2+1), but a family of 6 would do fine: wonderful master suite for Mom and Dad, and a lower level with 2 queen-size beds and separate TV for the kids.

If you have a choice, I suggest the main inn building for the first visit. Accommodations there are smallish and dated, but you get the full ambiance and amenities of the historic inn. If it is not your first visit, check out their outlying units. I'm happy that I did.

As mentioned earlier, North Conway is a wonderful little town, and the Inn is in the historic part with lots of trendy shops and eating spots. A drive to the newer sections give access to factory outlets, grocery stores, Walmart, etc. A car is a must to properly enjoy the area. There are ski areas large and small within driving distance. Some include Bretton Woods, Attitash, Wildcat, Loon and Sunday River. The smaller family-friendly Cranmore is right in North Conway.

Will I come back? You bet!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dbjennings
Thank you for your kind review. Just like many of our picturesque New England Towns, North Conway and The Eastern Slope Inn are full of unexpected surprises and little treasures. The units at Norcross are one of the many hidden gems at our resort. I have had several guests start out a little skeptical about not being right in the Main Inn, but have never had a guests return from a stay at the Norcross Suites disappointed. The Master bedroom suites are definitely, as you put it the “Wow” factor.

In the summer, the private decks are a fantastic addition, allowing our guests at Norcross a wonderful view of the village, the park and the Conway Scenic Railroad.

The units in this building are on the 2nd and 3rd floor however and the location is about a block from the Main Inn, so if stairs are in issue, or you prefer to be in the same building as the resort amenities, the Main Inn may a better choice.

Sitting on the site of the former Hotel Randall, the current building dates back to 1926 and has the honor of being the only lodging property located on Main Street in North Conway Village. Although a car is helpful to fully enjoy the surrounding area and all it’s charm, a guest with out a vehicle can walk to enjoy all the village has to offer.

Within three blocks of the resort, there are 11 restaurants, 90 shops, 4 churches, a hospital and nearly every service imaginable. Within three miles of the resort there are over 100 factory outlet stores.

Thank you again for your kind review and your repeat patronage. We look forward to seeing you at the resort again soon.
whiting, me
Reviewed 8 January 2011

I had written a review for this destination after returning home from there last year. For some reason, it was never added. We used this as an exchange with RCI as we had a week that was going to expire. My husband and I came separately as was bike week. I came ahead of him to shop in the North Conway area which was a lot of fun! Our unit was a one bedroom. There were food particles left in the sink in our mini kitchen from the last individuals who stayed there. The downstairs shower had muddy handprints still on the wall. The carpet in the living room area was filthy and the couch was so uncomfortable that you were practically sitting on the floor when you sat down. It needed to be replaced. I must admit, that the upstairs beds were VERY comfortable, and the bathroom in our bedroom was very functionable even though small. My husband loved the soap and shampoo dispenser on the wall. The Flatbread pizza restaurant on site was excellent. We actually went two nights in a row we enjoyed it so much. It was very impressive. The last night we stayed there, we actually upgraded to a more expensive unit as I couldn't bear to stay in that one another night. This suite was obviously still quite new, and was very impressive. The housekeeping there still left a lot to be desired as there was food under the coffee table and tags from clothing from some of the outlets on the floor. With as much money being spent on advertising on their establishment, you would think they could upgrade some of their outdated rooms and retrain their housekeeping staff. The location was great though as we were within walking distance to a lot of fun stores, coffee houses, and restaurants. Sadly I would not stay there again though as would fear to be put in one of the shabby units again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank curtisized
We are sorry to hear that your room was not in the condition typical of our resort upon check in. If a guest ever finds their unit not to have been cleaned properly, we sincerely hope they will inform the Front Desk so that other accommodations can be arranged, or send a member of the housekeeping team back to do the job as it should have been done prior to checking a guest in. The same would be true if a guest finds any maintenance issues in their room. If we cannot rectify the problem in the unit, then we will make every effort to find another unit that is up to the standard our guests, and the resort expect. Our team inspects our accommodations regularly and change out furnishings as needed. We apologize if the need to replace the sleep sofa in the unit you stayed in was not detected prior to your arrival.

I am glad you found the bed to be very comfortable and that your husband appreciated one of our many green efforts with our in-room soap and shampoo dispensers.

We do have several different buildings offering a wide range of accommodations. From the historic Main Inn, to our Gold Crown Suites, which I believe may have been the units you moved to for the last night of your stay. In any of our buildings, the housekeeping should not be as you mentioned in your review and again our apologies - and hope that if any of our guests find a unit not to be cleaned to their satisfaction they would let us know so we can correct the issues immediately.

Over the past year we have upgraded almost all of beds to Serta king and queen pillow top, throughout the resort, with our last building scheduled to be upgraded this spring. Although we do continual upgrades through out the resort as needed, we are in the process of a major upgrade to all of our Main Inn and Randall House units, which will include new kitchens and baths with granite counter tops, flat screen TV’s, new carpets, wall coverings and furnishings.

Since you enjoyed the location and several things about the resort, we hope you will consider coming back to stay with us in the near future.
Franklin, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 December 2010

We thought we would save a few bucks and spend the weekend shopping the outlets for our presents. The town is cute and certainly quiet enough to be relaxing. We thought we would just drive in to town to see what hit us. After driving past several places, a few small hotels and a few national brands we settled on the Eastern Slope Inn. It was nice enough. There is a lot to be said for the expression you get what you pay for because we didn't pay a lot but we didn't get a lot. There wasn't anything particularly bad and we wouldn't say they were the scariest place we ever stayed. Maybe we have just been getting older and we have been spoiling ourselves lately. The hotel was bland. After researching the other hotels for our next trip we will experiment with another location. The town and the atmosphere were nice enough and we will be making more trips we are just going to see what else is out there.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank goodliving4us2
Being a large resort we do have the advantage of being able to offer our guests a variety of room options to meet any budget. Our most efficient rooms are at our off property motel, called the Oxen Yoke. This property is located about 1 mile from the Main Inn and offers a variety of rooms from standard hotel units to pet friendly cottages, all of which enjoy full access to the resort amenities (including indoor pool, hot tubs, and fitness center). While on the more luxuriou end of what we offer are our Gold Crown Suites behind the historic Main Inn - which have king beds, gas fireplaces and 2 person spa tubs in the room. A visit to our website will allow you to review the room types available at our resort.

That being said, we would not want any guest to walk away from a stay in any of our rooms and describe their experience as bland. If a guest checks in to any of our units and finds it not to meet their expectations, we encourage them to contact the front desk to see if other options we may have available. We take great pride in our resort, and strive to do whatever possible to ensure that, as our brand emphasizes, Great Things Happen HERE!

We would really enjoy the chance to speak to you if possible to discuss what made your stay 'just good enough' in hopes that we can have the opportunity to show you the many aspects of our resort that other guests have found to be exceptional.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 21 November 2010

With the nearby Fryeburg agricultural fair in full swing and every motel in town having jacked up rates the Eastern Shore turned out to be a pleasant surprise with a decent rate in compairison. While the property had lost some of it's luster, it's personality and old fashioned kind of charm were still there. It had a feel that was much nicer than the typical sterility you find in most modern motels. The room was nice and clean, the location great and if you like swimming as we do the pool was wonderful. The staff was very friendly also. While perhaps not the resort it once was, it provided a reasonable weekday stay during a very busy time.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple