“I love this place but the rangers are horrible”

Jigger Johnson campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Conway
Jigger Johnson campground
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My family and I have come to Jigger Johnson every year for the last 13 years. I love everything about it except there is a woman campground host who is very unpleasant and seemingly enjoys harrassing campers. She has a definite attitude problem and I always wonder why in the world she works there when she is so ill-suited for the position. Before she arrived we never had a moment's trouble, but over the last few trips we have been reprimanded and insulted by this woman on each visit. We are going again in a week and being reminded of her is making me sad ~ she can ruin a wonderful camping experience.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
13  Thank Advisor895

Reviewed 12 July 2011

The campsites are too close together, so it's hard to get that true camping feel. Other than the extremely frigid river, there wasn't any place to explore or hike, which limits the number of activities most campgrounds provide.

They also adhere to a strict policy of quiet time from 10 pm to 6 am, yet they allow a group of people to flash lights around and make a big ruckus as they set up their tent past midnight. This caused fright and many of us to wake up from our sleep.

I understand there are exceptions to rules in most cases and in this case, these people were received with sympathy. Our site had a couple of people over the limit per site, but we were willing to pay for it, why is that were not put as an exception to the rule? Other than that we weren't loud, did not disturb our neighboring campers, and did not break any other rule. Why is it that the other group gets treated differently, even though they clearly cause disturbance in the middle of the night and very early in the following morning? I just HOPE its not because we're asian, because racism is a very ugly thing.

10  Thank xShumai
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Giving this place a 1 star rating is an overstatement. It truly deserves much less, solely for the camp manager’s lack of interpersonal communication skills and respect for fellow citizens. Never have I ever been kicked out of anything before in my life. Even hotels do not kick their guests out for having 1 person over the limit yet this campground does just that at 11:45 PM! After scolding me for having 9 people (limit is 8), she proceeded to walk away cursing and yelling obscene remarks. Quite unprofessional don’t you think? Why hadn’t she notified us earlier if she didn’t approve? Why wait until we were about to go to bed to give us the boot? Purely wicked!

I highly do not recommend this place unless you’re interested in getting escorted out by 2 sheriffs (whom by the way knew it in their puny little hearts that we did not deserve to get kicked out like that), w/no valid explanation nor refunds!! We drove back home (3.5 hours) in the middle of night tired, humiliated and mortified of the way we were treated. Never will I ever return to this campground unless this woman ceases to exist!

Room Tip: I suggest going elsewhere!!
18  Thank KenSo_11
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Like one of the comments said, the ranger who was also the manager was definitely on a power trip, she rudely approached us in the bathroom called us liars for having more than 8 ppl and demanded that we pay her $20 for the extra two ppl we had. Then walked away swearing. We told her to calm down but she flipped out on us, and came to the later campsite and repeatedly called us liars and told us that she wanted the extra ppl off the property. And so our two friends had left. She later decided to call the sheriff, and they came and told us that we were "all" suppose to leave, and why were we all still here. She's is the most unfriendly, irrational and unprofessional person I have ever met in my life. She called us rude when she was the one yelling at us since the beginning. This woman deserves to be fired!

12  Thank koaru28
Reviewed 10 July 2011

This is by far THE WORST campground I have ever been to. The place itself is fine. The management however are just plain evil. The nasty female manager and her husband or whoever he is and the sheriff are all one big threesome that are out to pretty much harass you if you don't come as a small family. we were a group of late 20s professionals and we did not break any rules except for one, which was having an extra person with us. In fairness, we should not have done so and we apologised for it but they harassed & cursed at us (yes, cursed) for it and kicked us all out in the middle of the night (1am) and refused to give us our money back. when we tried to stand our ground, the sheriff told us that we better stop talking and pack up and leave now. as if we're not allowed to talk?? complete and utter bollix it is and I am stunned that people actually behave that way. power trip. period.

Room Tip: dont even bother wasting your time here
19  Thank BlueAstrid23
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This is the worst campground I have ever been to. I camp every year, and this time we had 5 guys, all good friends. We were very respectful of ground rules, but on the last night (without a single problem) we were unjustly harassed by the rangers who live on the grounds. They were very imposing, and insisted that were too loud even though we had no complaints from any other campers. They repeatedly harassed us as though it were enjoyable, and they proceeded to call the local sheriff (who was clearly a friend) who told us to go to bed or go to jail. One of our guys is a seasoned Police officer who tried to talk calmly to the sheriff, but he was absolutely rigid. I am ashamed of these people as Americans, and their actions were unacceptable. Go somewhere else!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
20  Thank CamperJoeBoston_MA
Reviewed 2 December 2010

The camp is run by a concession on behalf of the state. Good location for hiking in the White Mountains and visiting the picturesque waterfalls. I imagine it would be stunning when the autumn colours appear. The campground is very wooded and the pitches very private. It's a big camp but it was virtually empty when we were there midweek in early September. The camp host was really friendly and helpful, giving us great tips on places to visit. The site has flushing toilets and sinks with running water although there doesn't seem to be any electricity so it is pitch dark at night and a little creepy when the coyotes start howling nearby! There were a few showers near the entrance but you had to pay a few dollars for them and they were in dark sheds - clean enough though. Water spigots were dotted around the camp. A nice place to pitch your tent for a while!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
#11 of 30 in Conway
Colonial Motel
Colonial Motel
#3 of 25 in North Conway

Been to Jigger Johnson campground? Share your experiences!