“Third visit since last Sept.”

The Stonehurst Manor
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Our favorite location for years when in North Conway. Excellant restaurant continues to please us at supper and breakfast, included in room cost. Haven't missed swimming in the pool yet and finish in the hot tub with mountains in the background. We usually stay in the annex rooms but did third floor in the manor this time. Room 32A but found it small and air conditioner in the window did not allow opening the window to get air like annex, hard to sleep with air on as it was noisy and rattled.

Gets harder to get rooms as more people realize what a great place and deals they offer.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Manor3351, Front Office Manager at The Stonehurst Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

We appreciate very much our guests such as yourself and we certainly hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We've stayed twice at the manor and can't wait to go back. The food is excellent and the dining rooms just lovely. We enjoy sitting by the windows overlooking the mountains. Our favorite place though is the library which is also the bar. It has a massive fireplace with cozy seating all around. It's great to have a drink, sit and talk or just read a good book. There is an overwhelming sense of peace here. We've stayed in two different rooms both with fireplace which is so romantic
having the room lit by the warm glow of the fire as you drift off to sleep.
I have found the staff to be extremely courteous and helpful. I would
highly recommend the manor to anyone looking for a getaway.

Room Tip: I loved the rooms with the fireplace. Look on the website to pick the room you like the best. That...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. Michael, our Lounge Manager prides himself on our Martini Lounge and fireplace being one of the most sought after spots at the Manor!

Reviewed 10 September 2012

We've been visiting the North Conway area for approximately 20 years, always going to another hotel which is also excellent. This time around we decided to change and try the manor, which was not totally new to us, we had eaten a wonderful meal there a few years back. Very pleased with the cleanliness of the room. Food, breakfasts and suppers were delicious. Will definately return. Loved the pets. Great get away!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for giving us a try. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stonehurst Manor's Staff and the amazing meals made for the prefect weekend to get away and relax. The staff was always friendly and accommodating, the rooms were quiet, the grounds beautiful, the pool and hot tub overlooking some beautiful scenery, and the lounge provided some delicious drinks.

We'll definitely plan on staying there again on our next weekend get-a-way.

Room Tip: We had a room with Jacuzzi located outside the main room and would suggest selecting one with the Ja...
1  Thank DonLisk

We are beyond delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit. We strive to not only make the Stonehurst Manor a memorable get-a-way but a relaxing one as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

I would like to start by saying I have stayed here for over 12 years on a steady basis...I have written rave reviews and told many people to stay here....I am sad to say I don't know if I would be rushing back anytime soon...
Our room was on the third floor, 31, which I've never stayed in before and was disappointed nobody told us the sink was out side the bathroom in the room, but not an issue as it was my birthday and only wanted to focus on the good the stonehurst has to offer.
The next morning when I went to blow dry my hair at the sink which was already an issue, I kept blowing a fuse....so I called down and got a very matter of fact response and was told to blow dry on low. Ok...not even sorry for the inconvenience...again, the fuse blows...I call down again....no sorry for the inconvenience. At this point i had to ask for an extension cord to plug in an outlet at a distance from the mirror. Needless to say I showered the second day and didn't wash my hair, to avoid the hassle.
Upon check out I did mention to the female owner about the experience and how nobody even offered an apology. Her response was defense and told me it happens because it's an old building..that would be acceptable if I were staying at her house and wasn't a paying guest. Shame on Stonehurst for not at least acknowledging an unacceptable situation that they were well aware of from a long time paying guest.

• Stayed: September 2012
Manor3351, Front Office Manager at The Stonehurst Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Again, we would like to extend our sincere apologies to you for being in convenienced during your last visit.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

Let me preface this review by letting the readers know that we’ve owned and lived in an historic, heritage home; we are fully aware of the costs associated with its upkeep and maintenance, both in what one sees and what one does not see (the stuff between walls and under floors and ceilings): e.g., plumbing, septic tank(s), heating, insulation (or lack of it between the walls), electrical, air conditioning, ventilation, etc.

We are “well-travelled”, having stayed in many an Inn, Hotel, B&B, Auberge, Spa, Resort, ranging from 2-star to 5+star (albeit some self-proclaimed) throughout various locations from our home country to the Caribbean, Northern Africa and Europe. We have personal views on all the places we’ve stayed; some critical, some exemplary.

These are our views – not meant to criticise or condemn staff, management or venue itself, but hoping to share our views with others. And perhaps bring to management’s attention the little details that might or could bring their venue from “adequate” to “fantastic” in the eyes of their clientele.

After having “stalked” the Stonehurst Manor on Trip Advisor for almost a year, we decided to make the treacherous 7-plus hour drive to North Conway for a few days of R&R, shopping and dining.

I’ll start with the “FANTASTIC” (neither critiques nor comments necessary):
• The hill-top location and surrounding forest of the Manor
• The grounds, the flowers, the butterflies, the dragon flies
• The peace, the quiet
• Ample parking
• The food. OOOOOOOh, the food.

The “adequate”; and our critiques and comments why:
• Staff at check-in and check-out was, for the most part, accommodating and pleasant; save one member who left the impression that she’d rather not be bothered with the guests / clientele; her responses were curt, short of being rude. (We arrived an hour [+/-] before the official check-in time, our room was ready.)
• Wait staff at breakfast: we were served by a different staff member each morning. The first morning (the dining room had only 5 tables including ours being serviced at that particular time) our waitress was obviously experienced and left the impression that she truly loves her job; there wasn’t anything you wanted for, she seemed to know what you wanted and magically it was brought to the table (jams, ketchup, a water top-up). I asked for tea; the entire tea caddy was brought to the table so that I could make a selection. She was chatty, but not to the point of being bothersome. The second morning (3 tables including ours was being serviced with a 4th after we were half way through our meal, and a 5th and 6th as we were getting ready to leave), the girl waiting our table was, well, not so experienced, left the impression that she didn’t care. I asked for a glass of orange juice, waited and waited: my husband got up on 2 different occasions and got me water once and an additional glass of juice the second time. She didn’t ask if we wanted jams with the toast or ketchup with the eggs; and when she brought me my breakfast plate, she told me that she had dropped a piece of toast on the floor, did I want another piece? I asked for tea; got a deer-in-the-headlights look; and was brought a cup of hot water with a tea bag. Not what I wanted, so I asked if there was a selection of tea; she brought me the tea caddy after having conferred with another waitress. As we were getting ready to leave, we both noticed that she was writing up orders on another table and spotted 2 more couples coming in – she appeared to become overwhelmed at the prospect of serving more people. Perhaps some job shadowing and/or coaching might help this particular employee. I don’t think she has enough experience.
• Wait staff at dinner: almost the same scenario as at breakfast except our waiter was male on the first night and female the other. Our waiter at the first night’s dinner was spectacular. The second night the young woman (not the same one as at breakfast) seemed a bit absent minded. She forgot what we ordered for desert, came back to the table and said that she’d forgotten to write it down (we saw her take the order on her note pad) and forgot what we ordered. We also noticed her mixing up orders at other tables. Maybe she was having a tough evening.
• The room: I’m only giving this an “adequate” rating. Here’s why: yes, I understand it is a heritage building. Yes, I know they want to preserve the original look and feel of the interior. It’s dark everywhere – not an oppressive darkness, just dark décor, dark paint, dark carpeting, dark furniture, dark drapes. There IS a way to honor and preserve the heritage of the interior with a smattering of “modern, contemporary paint colors” that blend in with the heritage and period. Back to our room – 20 – the absolute worst and disgustingly ugliest, maybe even filthiest chairs I’ve ever seen in any hotel room, anywhere, are the 2 arm chairs at the window. They are old, very, very old; and very, very tired. I used the spare blanket in the closet to cover the chair before I sat on it. My husband, god love him, could care less; however he did agree that these needed to be re-upholstered or replaced PDQ (pretty darn quick). The air conditioning unit: the first thing I headed for was the filter in the unit. I removed it and, not surprisingly, saw that it was in dire need of a cleaning. I ran it under the faucet in the bathroom, let it dry about 10 minutes (by shaking it vigorously) then put it back where it belongs. I know it helped with the air quality in the room. How do I know this? I used to have the same units in my heritage house and always cleaned the air filters. If furniture in the room was reconfigured so that cold air from the air conditioner isn’t blowing directly onto the person sitting in that chair by the window, it would be much better. The bedding (linens): OK, listen: I’m a sheet and pillowcase “snob”. I know all about thread count, and Egyptian cotton and cotton sateen and Pima cotton, pure linen sheets and duvet covers and pillowcases. I also suffer with fibromyalgia, at home I sleep on a Tempurpedic mattress fitted with cotton sateen sheets. Because of pain at numerous pressure points on the body, I prefer to have the mattress (fitted) sheet very, very tight. The mattress in the room was fine, however the mattress pad was quilted and puffy and fluffy and made of 100% shiny, slippery polyester. Ditto the 100% polyester micro-fibre sheets. Put these two 100% slippery, shiny polyester things together, add a human being in pain, tossing and turning and you get a bumpy, lumpy skating rink to sleep on! The sheets bunched up under us (and not due to any gymnastics under the covers) making for more tossing and turning. I didn’t sleep well; let’s just leave it at that. The bathroom: equipped with jetted tub (fabulous for me). The mirrors are too high, unless you are 6 feet tall. And because of it being so dark in the room even with all the lights on, in broad daylight, the mirror on the wall at the bathroom was of little use to put make up on. It should be moved to the door at the closet – that area is the brightest in the entire room. I don’t know if bleach is used for their towels – I rather doubt it. If the establishment is “green” and “eco-friendly” then I understand. However, the towels are all white (sort of). I noticed what could have been a blood stain that just didn’t wash out on a bath towel. The facecloths and hand towels were not a pristine white, rather they have a brownish tinge to them – could be the detergent. Following a shower one morning, my husband left the shower curtain half in / half out of the tub. When we came back to the room mid-afternoon, the room had been made up but I did notice that the shower curtain was in the same position it had been left in. Makes me wonder if the room, tub, sink, toilet, floors were cleaned or were “fresh” towels just hung on the racks. Toiletries are supplied – Breck shampoo and conditioner, and a tiny bar of soap. Yes they are minimal, but adequate. What would it take to make these amenities appear a little more “interesting”? A little wicker basket (from the Dollar store even) lined with a white facecloth and left on the little glass shelf.

I’ll wrap this up – would we come back? Absolutely – for the food.

Would we come back for the room? Yes, but I’ll bring my own sheets and towels, thank you.

2  Thank Sailing_into_70

Thank you!

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Had room directly above reception. Very very large with fourposter bed and a sofa bed for the kids. Slightly disappointed in the creakiness of the bed but it didn't deter the sleep! Very large TV with all the channels you would expect to find on holiday with kids. News weather and cartoon network!. Fantastic Bathroom with jacuzzi bath. Lovely bar and the food was ok. Fantastic views with lots of areas to sit. Jacuzzi outside was amazing with its views but the pool was cold (the local river was actually warmer). Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: the only room I can advise on is the one above the reception. (I think it was room 23)
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lenore74

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Manor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time. We do look forward to having you with us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Conway
Residence Inn North Conway
Residence Inn North Conway
#2 of 25 in North Conway
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa

Been to The Stonehurst Manor? Share your experiences!