“Genial Owner”

Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
New York City, New York
“Genial Owner”
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I must say White Trellis made our trip to North Conway and White Mountains even better than we could have hoped for. The motel was very comfortable and convenient to explore White Mountain National Forest to see autumn leaves. The owner was very friendly, kind and helpful. Her banana bread was superb. We stayed in Room #8 (1 queen + 1 twin) for 2 nights. The room was tidy and had enough space to stay with my wife and 3 year old kid. Free WiFi is available in the lobby. I could also use my laptop in my room because it is adjacent to the lobby. All in all, the motel was a nice place to stay. It wasn't the most spectacular bed & breakfast hotel I've ever stayed in, but again, the owner is what really makes this motel great. Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Koichi S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New England
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Been coming for years. Have tried a few other places, but always end up back here. Funny, but some of the things other people complain about are things I love about the White Trellis. It feels like home, not some chain hotel where every room anywhere in the country is exactly the same. I'm on vacation, not business, I don't want an alarm clock. And really, who uses an ironing board these days (except maybe on a biz trip)? Only place I've seen one in years are chain hotels. You're on vacation and you want to sit in your room and watch CNN? Go out! The White Trellis is walking distance to some of the best spots in the Valley, like Moat Mountain, May Kelly's, and Delany's. I also have a hard time believing the complaint about not cleaning the room. Every time I've stayed there not only was it cleaned, they went out of the way to clean it while we were out of the room. More then once I've run out for 15 minutes and come back to a clean room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Moparnj
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My first visit to North Conway, NH, was in 1975 and I have been back dozens of times since, and have stayed in a variety of motels, inns, and B & Bs. The White Trellis is by far the worst place I have stayed, even though not the the least expensive. As echoed in other reviews of this establishment, our room was shabby and dark. Sheets and towels were paper thin and looked like they might have been in use since I first started coming to the area. The blankets also looked dirty, not ones we were happy to pull up around ourselves at night. Thankfully we travel with our own pillows. There was a card on the table listing the cable channels the TV was supposed to receive. Actual reception was about one-third of that. My wife had to ask that a coffee maker be put into the room. We had to clean it each day ourselves, as well as go get new coffee for the next morning. Other common ammenities in even basic accommodations were lacking: an alarm clock, hair drier, ironing board, etc. The motel looks attractive from the outside, but I strongly recommend checking out your room and its facilities BEFORE paying.

Room Tip: Consider staying somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Saunterer46

Travellers are raving about these North Conway hotels

Reviewed 7 October 2011

Basic accommodation. Clean. VERY DATED furnishings. No hair dryer, no wifi. Thin towels. Threadbare sheets. Good value for price.

• Stayed October 2011
Iowa, USA
Reviewed 5 October 2011

My wife and I were in North Conway during the fall leaf season, when motel rooms are at a premium. Several places were already booked. We were not looking for luxury accommodations, just clean and comfortable, and based on reviews we thought that is what we would be getting. We were disappointed.

The motel is on the north side of town, not as congested or loud as the center of town, and looks nice from the outside. The furnishings, however, were way too spartan for the price we paid ($126.50 incl. tax for a room with 1 queen and 1 twin).

First, the room was dark. There were only two lamps - one between the beds on a stand, and another very small lamp in the corner on a shelf. There were two chairs - kind of like 1970's era office seating - with no table in between. It was so dark that we literally could not read at night when sitting in these chairs. I tried to set the small lamp higher up in the air to provide better light; all I could find to do this with was the ice bucket. I turned the ice bucket upside down and sat the lamp on it. This actually helped a bit, and also revealed the Hampton Inn logo on the bucket!

Wi-fi was only available in the office - no signal in our room. Cable picked up about 20 channels - no ESPN or CNN. Not what I would call "extended cable." The bathroom was dated, which would not matter that much except that it was not well maintained. The fan did not work, the light above shower did not work, and the caulking looked a little gross in places.

The beds were old and not the most comfortable, but OK. The worst feature was definitely the lighting (and we wondered how clean the room really was since we could not see very well).

No alarm clock, no coffee maker, no iron and board, no wi-fi, no information about the motel in the room, very poor lighting, small room with well below average beds. In my book, this is not worth $126.50, even in high season. We will stay elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, I would ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 September 2011

The White Mountains region of New Hampshire is my favorite place to visit. I vacation here many times a year . . . for the past eleven years the White Trellis Motel had been the only place I stay. Why? The rooms are homey and comfortable. Mary, the owner, is friendly and accommodating. The view of Cathedral Ledge is amazing. It's close to everything . . . food, shopping, tourist attractions . . . and yet it's set far enough away that you can avoid the hustle, bustle and traffic. I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: rooms closest to the main building have a decent in-room Wi-Fi signal.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CherLemos
Rehovot, Israel
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed at White Trellis Motel in a room with two beds for one night around the end of July, 2011.

Initially, we planned to travel in a group of three people and chose White Trellis Motel because it had a room with three beds at a cheap price. In the end, one guy could not come, and we told the owner so when we arrived there. Then, she did not charge the third person charge. She also offerred us another room with two beds at an end of the building, which is supposed to be quieter than those in the middle, and we took it. (For her side, she wanted to spare the room we reserved originally for potential customers who want to stay in the same room for that and next nights in a row.)

The room was old but well maintained and cleaned, as pointed out by many reviewers here. It was also spacious. I had nothing to complain.

I talked with the owner, Miyoko, and learned a little bit about her life, and how important she thinks her motel is for her life. I want to visit the motel again in the future. I am sure it will be there for a long time.

Disclaimer 1: The owner and I both speak Japanese. Due to my sympathy, this review might be biased.
Disclaimer 2: Sorry for my bad English.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends