“Worst hotel/motel I've ever stayed at”

White Trellis Motel
Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed here last night and left before the sun was even up. The rooms are old, and that's not a problem, except they have not been maintained. There is rust in the shower, the tub looked terribly dirty, the shower curtain was covered in all kinds of stains, and the sink in the bathroom didn't drain. The water pressure was poor. The windows along with the sills and blinds were covered in debris and dirt--old metal venetian blinds that are rusted and squeaky. The tv does not have a remote....it's the old tube kind. Every time we pushed the button to change the channel, the tv turned off and we had to turn it back on and move forward one channel, and repeat the steps. The worst part of all, however, was the lack of heat. At check-in, we were told to let the owner know if we wanted heat, she was pleased she said to have recently installed digital thermostats. We entered our room at noon and it felt like a refrigerator...we let her know we'd like to exercise our option for heat. We went off to our event and returned late in the evening. We found that the temp had gone from 59 up to 64. Thought that would be okay, except it got really cold during the night...so cold that sleep became difficult. The mattresses are apparently wrapped in plastic and the sheets are so thin that the cold from the plastic made my bones ache. And the beds....they're about 1 1/2 feet off the floor. I was planning to go to the car, turn on the heat, and try to sleep, but my travel companion woke up and was equally as uncomfortable so we just packed up and left. I truly can't recall a worse experience at any hotel/motel. The people who wrote positive reviews about this place (I checked them before we booked this) must have been here in the summer months and maybe got updated rooms. ???? I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, it's just that bad.

Room Tip: Find another hotel....there are no good rooms here
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank reesecat

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were looking to take a motorcycle trip up to No. Conway and didn't want to rush back home. I called on Friday after having called about a dozen other places and was surprised that they had a vacancy. We arrived at about 4:30pm and checked in. The office area was dark, not very welcoming, but then again, what did we expect for what we paid.

We stayed in room 11 and found it to be clean but very dated. The vanity in the bathroom was circa 1970 mustard yellow. The shower/tub was clean but the shower head was funky, it just shot water out but with no particular pattern. Its hard to describe how it sprayed. The beds (queen and a twin) were old and way too soft for our liking but clean.

The room was totally no frills. No microwave, no mini fridge, no alarm clock, no hair dryer, no DVD player and barely any electricity (Only 1 light worked). The TV was an 80's vintage Daewoo tube on a custom mounted wall mounted shelf.

The room did what we needed. We would not likely stay here for an extended amount of time but for 1 or 2 nights it's fine. The cost of the room was comparable to other motels in the area.

The property is surrounded by Pine trees and your vehicle or motorcycles will get covered in pine pitch. If we stay here again on a bike trip, we will be sure to cover them.

We found the woman at the front desk to be pleasant. We talked to a number of other guests and found everyone to be very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We are frequent visitors to the North Conway area. Since this was a last minute trip, I had to scramble to find accommodations. I always thought that this motel looked quaint from the outside but we never stayed. I was able to get two adjoining rooms for 4 people for a very reasonable rate at the last minute. This should have been the first clue. The rooms were tiny and had no electrical outlets ( I think this may have been because the room was decorated before electricity was discovered) to speak of. The TV was from the Johnson Administration and each TV (we had one in each room) had different channels available on it. The sheets and towels were threadbare and gray...yuck. One of the people in our party wanted to play "Count the Stains on The Carpet" The chairs were also stained. The bathroom was larger than the rooms and was last rehabbed in the 60's. The sink leaked all over the floor and the tub did not work...shower only. The drain did not drain. There was no major dirt but the shabby sheets and towels and stains on the rugs were not exactly what we wanted or expected.

The mattresses? They were from the Truman Administration. They sunk down in the middle and were just awful. The pillow was flat as a pancake but the grey pillowcases were embroidered with the name of the hotel.

The parking lot is landlocked. If you have a room on the ends of the motel, you have to kind of back up to get back to the entrances/exits. Instead of being so concerned with U-turners, they should invest in some clean sheets and towels.

The lady that checked us in was very pleasant. She even came down to "help" us with our room? I cannot imagine what she was going to help us with but she was nice.

All in all, it was ok at the last minute but I doubt we will ever be back.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank dontat60
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The room was very cozy and old, very old carpet and tv. It was nice and had a great location, but it was very noisy. You could hear people talking outside and it sounded like there was an upstairs and there wasn't. It had a standup shower and not very good toiletries.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We are very familiar with this area, When my husband choose these units I turned up my nose but when along (to prove him wrong). When will I learn! The units are definitely dated with aged furniture and bedding. However, the room and bathroom are spacious. There is even a small closet. There was Wi-Fi in our room, but not in all, and the tv was small. That said, the rooms was spotless. The gardens in front of the unit were in full bloom. Across the (main) street was a gorgeous view of Cathedral Ledge. There is no pool. We were passing through after kayaking for the day. If you are not planning a lot of time at the motel, it is a perfect choice. Most restaurants had a long wait, so we had supper in Jackson at Shannon Door Pub. Great home made food served on the deck!

Room Tip: Wi-Fi is available only in select rooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KATHLEEN R
Reviewed 31 July 2013

very quiet, rustic and retro motel. friendly hospitality from the nice owner lady. the landscape is beautiful-flowers smelling everywhere, and the I liked being bit outside town-saw million stars at night.the tv was small but clear with all the channels.simple and old furniture but everything is clean and work fine.I red the other reviews but what can you expect when you pay 69 a night in north conway in July, when the other hotels charges 200+??

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank shaked p
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I had booked through AARP for a couple of nights at this motel. I cancelled within the allowed time by AARP and according to White Trellis Motel web-site, within the allowed time.
Just received my credit card statement and was charged $28.50.
AARP could not do anything and they spoke with owner twice and she will not take off charge.
WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS MOTEL. THINGS MUST BE SLOW.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family