“Great place at a great price!”
Review of Clarendon Motel

Clarendon Motel
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Boston
“Great place at a great price!”
Reviewed 10 March 2009

My husband and I stayed here for one night in early March. The price was really low compared to a lot of other places I'd looked at, and I was a little nervous about what to expect. But I was pleasantly surprised! The room itself was nicer than some places we've stayed at recently for twice the price. Clean, spacious, nice big closet, comfy bed with a nice quilt on it. The motel itself doesn't have a lot of amenities, but we didn't mind, as we were just staying the one night. It's a really quick drive to the downtown area, and there are plenty of restaurants/bars nearby. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 29 January 2009

We ski in the North Conway area almost every wekeend during ski season and have stayed at several of the inns/motels in the area. The rates at the Clarendon are very competitive and the Innkeeper was very welcoming when we checked in. The rooms were OK (nothing special, a little dated looking, but since we spend most of our time on the mountain it's not a big deal). The walls are a little thin and the showers make a TON of noise, so you will definitely know when the guests next door are "home."

However, my biggest complaint about the Clarendon is the bed. First, there are no King beds at the Clarendon. But more importantly, the mattress in our room was one of the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on. Unfortunately, a comfortable bed after a long day of skiing is probably the most important asset a hotel/motel can offer (along with hot water!). The only way you will be able to sleep on the mattress at the Clarendon is if you drink enough alcohol to subsequently pass out for 8 hours.

Because the bed was so uncomfortable, I don't plan to stay at the Clarendon again. If the Motel buys new mattresses, I will most certainly reconsider.

• Liked — Location, Innkeeper
  • Disliked — BAD BEDS
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 January 2009

I called last night to reserve a room for myself, my boyfriend and 2 other friends. We are all working professionals in our mid- twenties. We were asked if the two other people were children, and we replied 'no' and we were asked their ages and replied with 'mid-twenties'. We were refused a room because of our ages; I guess they thought we were too young and would tear up the place. I could not believe the disdain and disrespect we were met with. They said ‘Well this is family run establishment’. We told them we were all meeting there after work (from MA) in order to get up early to ski at Wildcat this weekend and we were STILL refused a reservation. I am shocked that a small business in these tough economic times would refuse our money. We ended up booking a BETTER motel with a POOL and HOT TUB. I can’t wait to check out the Yankee Clipper tonight, the woman who took my reservation was very nice and NOT discriminating and I’m happy to take my money somewhere else. Did I mention I am a law enforcement agent?

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank splash0918
Reviewed 30 November 2008

We just got back from a weekend away to North Conway. I chose the Claredon after reading the reviews here. I was not dissapointed. With these tough times I searched for the best rate and found it at the Calredon. The room was cozy and SPOTLESS. The Cookes/Coffee/Tea in the office every day was a great tough. The office even made out reservation for the 1785 Inn which is always a good time. Althought it is not a 5 star hotel with all the ammenities, it was well worth it..We have stayed at Attitash and the Claredon has their rooms beat..For a quick and affordable getaway, this is the place.

• Liked — The cleanliness of the rooms. The location. And affordability.
  • Disliked — Wish they had King Size Beds
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Prince Edward Island
Reviewed 20 September 2008

Four of us went on a girls shopping getaway weekend to Maine/New Hampshire during the November 2007 long weekend. As our trip was a last minute decision, accomodations were limited. We ended up getting a double room at Clarendon Motel for one night of our trip. The room was very quaint with older country decor from 1950's/60's era. It had a very musty odour when we first walked in. The room was spacious enough for the four of us and did have a small table and in-room fridge. The bathroom is also in bad need of an update and the window would not open, not to mention the black mold around the window sill. And the rooms are definitely not sound proof as the group in the room next to us partied most of the night/early morning. All in all, it was a cheap, fairly clean place to spend the night but next time, we will be sure to make plans earlier and stay someplace a little nicer.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
Wilton, NH
Reviewed 8 April 2008

We've been staying there every February vacation for about 7 years now. The Motel is great!! Clean, comfortable and quiet! It's close to the downtown shops but far enough away if you don't like the hustle and bustle. Cranmore is only a 5 minute drive so access to the slopes is never a problem. Diane and Billy are wonderful hosts and will be sure to take care of you!! Their knowledge of the area and it's attractions are a HUGE asset. I know you will be very happy with your choice if you stay here!!

Stayed February 2008
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 31 October 2007

Our stay at the Clarendon Motel couldn't have been nicer! Bill and Diane make you feel at home right away. This motel has a bed and breakfast feel to it. Often Diane had something fresh baked in the lobby and coffee and tea every morning. The rooms are clean, spacious and our room even had a small refrigerator which came in handy. Our room also had a beautiful view out of the large picture window. The location is wonderful- just a little bit past the downtown huste and bustle but within walking distance of a fine restaurant and convenient store.

• Liked — clean and spacious rooms
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank vanago