“Trip to the North Pole”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Boston
“Trip to the North Pole”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We decided to take the kids on the Polar Express which leaves out of North Conway, NH thus we decided to stay at the Hampton Inn which is located about 5 minutes. We have been to both before and both are a lot of fun. Check in was very easy and the desk had fresh baked cookies and dog biscuits available which our children (and dog) loved. A great perk for this hotel is that they allow dogs to stay for free and are very dog friendly.

The room was very clean, had two queens ($79/night on Thursday, $179/night on Friday) with nice duvets, microwave, refrigerator, flat screen tv on minimal package (no Disney), and shower with bowed curtain hanger which is nice and makes the shower seem bigger. Room with 2 queens was a bit small but adequate. We needed a cot and called where a person was at our door withing 5 minutes but offered an inflatable bed which was okay. Facilities were very clean, staff very helpful, and the dining room was clean and open for use should you bring your own food or want to play a game. Hotel includes a waterpark (42" minimum to get on big slides, others available for smaller kids) with 2 slides, one open aired, the other closed) which are very fast and a smaller slide for younger chlidren, a frog slide, a mushroom slide for toddlers, and a hot tub for people>16 yrs old. Everything was nice and clean, watertpark staff were very friendly, you need to sign a waiver to get into the park, and lots of towels available. There were also movies played at 7pm in a conference room.

The hotel had a water leak on our second day which was thought to be coming from our room. After being looked at, it was determined to be from another room but the hotel sent up a nice basket of snacks and their apologies for the inconvenience.

Breakfast was good /okay depending on what you get and is included in the price. Friday morning yielded powdered scrambled eggs (not good), sausage (good), oatmeal, waffles (good), coffee (good), yogurt, cereal, fruit, juices, bagels, toast,etc. Saturday was the same except they offered premade omelets and ham which was much better; my son claimed they omelets where the best he had ever tasted. Dining room was open Friday morning but very busy Saturday morning. Dining room staff stayed on top of flow very well switching out new food and cleaning tables as needed.

The Polar Express was very good also. Tip - tickets are hard to get and usually gotten via lottery but calls to the train station yielded tickets not claimed.

Room Tip: Monday though Thursday are much better values.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fixerupper02472
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
We are delighted to you enjoyed your Polar Express weekend at our hotel. This event is most everyones favorite during the holiday season. We appreciate your kind words, and your favorable review. The water park helps make us one of the areas favorite destinations, for those traveling with young children. What's even better is that we include it in your rates, and have no hidden fees. We look forward to your return and the opportunity to welcome you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Houlton, Maine
Reviewed 7 December 2012

We recently splurged and stayed in the 1 bedroom suite. It was well worth the extra money. I loved all the room we had. Walking in there was a little sink, fridge and microwave. Then walked into the living room with a pullout sofa bed, desk and chair. Also a flat screen tv. We had the kids sleep out there so we could have some privacy in the bedroom. Loved how there was a door off the living room to our bedroom, then a door from the living room to the bathroom. Plus we had a door to the bathroom. Our bedroom was awesome. The bed was probably THE MOST comfortable bed I've ever slept in. I mean, the first night, I fell asleep before the kids and hubby after laying down and that NEVER happens. Also had a walk in closet, dresser and flat screen tv. My only complaint with the bedroom is there should be more lighting...especially in the closet. It was during the day and I could hardly see what was in there. The bathroom had great amenities as well. The bath tub/shower and toilet was separated from the sink area. But, the sink was quite high. Would be nice that since this is a family hotel that they would provide a stool or something for the kids to reach. Our room was right by the elevator but was very quiet. I really liked that they provided a place to wrap gifts. Complete with table, scissors, tape and 3 different kids of wrapping paper to pick from. I wasn't too impressed with the water park. We stayed here strictly because of the water park. The way things went, we were only able to use it the morning we checked out. We were the first guest there which was nice. But, the air and pool was quite chilly. Just didn't seem like there was much to do. If you are looking at staying because of the water park, I'd suggest staying at Red Jacket. Theirs is MUCH better. BUT, here the rooms are MUCH better. Would def stay here and in this room again.

Room Tip: A 1 bedroom suite is perfect for families. Lots of room and parents can have some privacy. (You can...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
I would like to thank you for taking a few minutes and sharing your thoughts, on your recent stay at our hotel. The majority of our rooms are one and two room suites, perfect for most families. Hampton Cloud 9 beds are some of the most comfortable in our industry. I am delighted that you were able to relax and unwind, and treat the children to our indoor water park. Perhaps you might return this summer, and enjoy Story Land and all the other warm weather activities, that make the Mountain Washington Valley, an ideal vacation spot.
Maine
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed here to ride the Polar Express. Standard Hampton Inn. Comfortable, clean rooms and free breakfast. Staff was attentive all around. Water slides are good....have to be 42 inches. Decent child pool. Hampton provided fun holiday activities....cookie decorating, hat decorating.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Thank you for sharing the details of your recent stay at our hotel. We are excited that you were able to participate in our popular Polar Exress Package. You might want to consider returning this summer for a visit to Story Land. We look forward to your return.
Sunny Isles Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Check in was fine, not very friendly staff at check in. Room great. Indoor water park great, staff there fine. Gym, no remote, contacted staff, they found one quickly. Breakfast was a Hampton breakfast. Asked for late check out, denied. When leaving desk staff was making cookies, gave my girls both one (friendliest staff of all). Overall Hampton as Hampton, indoor waterpark the reason we go as well as location. Very convienent to shoppping and all Noth Conway offers.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, 1 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, concerning a recent stay at our hotel. We realize that there are many lodging choices when traveling to the valley, thank you for selecting our hotel. Both our property, and the Mount Washington Valley, are popular destinations. Many guests hope to arrive early, and many wish to stay late. We offer late check-outs on a first-come-first-served basis, so that we may also accommodate those arriving for the day. I regret that we were unable to offer you and your family, a later checkout on your day of departure. Perhaps next time we will be able to accommodate this request, we look forward to your return.
Hull, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Just got back from a 4 night stay here over Thanksgiving. The waterpark was sensational - my kids and I loved it! The staff was friendly, the breakfasts were more than adequate. There was nightly activities over the weekend for the kids, with movies. The TV in the Great Room didn't work, which was a bit of a bummer when my daughter and I missed the first 20 minutes of Elf because nobody told us it wasn't working. The rooms were adequate and the housecleaning & frant desk staff were super friendly and attentive.
My ONLY suggestion would be this: I booked the hotel on July 5th. Two weeks ago, I went on to the hotel's site to show my kids the pictures to get them excited. We noticed that there was a Polar Express special (tickets when reserving room there). I emailed the manager who told me the tickets were sold out. So, onto my suggestion. In the future, if the hotel offers specials like this, it would be nice if they contacted guests who made previous reservations to see if they would like to pay a bit more to get in on the events. I feel as though I (and my kids) were penalized for being prepared and booking early. My kids were very sad to see other kids coming and going to Polar Express and listening to them talk about it in the pool and breakfast areas. Other than that, we will definitely go again!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tina M
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Thank you for taking a few moments and sharing your review, based on a recent stay at our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed yourselves and that we were a good fit. Polar Express is a very popular event in the Mount Washington Valley, a tradition for over 15 years. This event sells out months in advance and it can be difficult to get tickets for. I regret that your children were disappointed, however, the Thanksgiving Day weekend is the first weekend of the package and had been sold out for quite sometime. Please contact me directly and I will make sure that you may participate next year. We look forward to your return.
Rospk
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Very nice hotel and well maintained. Staff was very courteous and eager to help. Price was very reasonable. Breakfast was more than adequate. Excellent location central to everything.

Only concern was breakfast room was very crowded with very young children. it tookk a while to get a seat. Perhaps a separate eating area for adults not with kids to be able to eat more relaxed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
tespaulding1, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this review, 22 November 2012
Thank you for taking a few minutes out of your day, to highlight your recent experience at our hotel. We thank you for the nice review. Our hotel is very busy with lots of families in the summer. In early 2013,we will be renovating our lobby and breakfast area, to make way for 'he Perfect Mix Lobby'.This new design will add some much needed additional seating, along with an area away from the traffic to enjoy breakfast. Thank you for your feedback, please come and stay with us again.
Auckland
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel 23 - 26 September. Started with a lovely welcome and talk from Manager but all downhill from there. Breakfast was self help with disgusting disposable plates - this is an Hilton Hotel I have had better 'crockery' in Youth Hostels. While showering on the first night I noticed a puddle of urine behind the toilet - reception were very matter of fact when approached about this and couldn't understand why I would be upset - however they did send someone promptly to clean it up. These experiences ruined a lovely hotel for me.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank maggieAuckland
Thank you for sharing your thoughts concerning a recent stay at our hotel. While we typically enjoy words of praise we carefully listen to those that are more critical. I apologize for any inconveniences that we may have caused you. Please contact me directly, so that I may take care of this to your satisifaction.