“Only "Average" now....”

Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed 12 June 2013

If I was reviewing The Red Jacket 20 years ago, back then the rating wouldn't have been just average, it would have been "excellent." Unfortunately, over the years, something has happened to this once beautiful and rustic hotel. The Red Jacket used to be so very immaculate that one could count on having a great stay, knowing that they were sleeping in a clean bed, or immersing themselves in a private Jacuzzi, right inside the room!

I couldn't help but notice AlleneLS's review and had to shake my head in disbelief when she said that the "bridal suite" was just an overpriced King bedroom and a Jacuzzi in the bathroom. I was under the impression that a suite would be more than just one room. Oh sure, there's a sofa, and a table to eat at, but isn't that expected? Guess what? That wasn't the bridal suite. It was simply one of the two suites that the Red Jacket only has.

I've heard reports and warnings about the bed spreads that are hardly ever washed (I used to work in a few hotel chains as a chambermaid, and I know the routine.) If it looks clean, it stays on the bed from guest to guest. The sheets do get changed, but that is expected. There's no turn down service, although for the price that they charge per night, or per weekend, they should have a turn down service, with a mint, to boot!

My husband and I stayed at The Red Jacket in North Conway b/c we wanted to get away from people. We were able to get a "promotional" offer. We took it and wished we never did. The first morning there, which was a Saturday morning, we wanted to eat our breakfast inside our suite, but after going back and forth with the manager about how the "promotional" offer we received, didn't include room service. We had to go to the dining room, or pay full price for room service. So we paid out of pocket for something that shouldn't have been argued over! I thought the industry of hospitality was just that, hospitable.

Lastly, when my husband and I were enjoying some champagne, I went into the bathroom to start filling up the Jacuzzi. I had to turn on additional lights to confirm if what I was seeing at the bottom of the Jacuzzi was what I feared it was. I don't know how to put this in a very classy manner, but the Jacuzzi wasn't cleaned very well because there was no shortage of hair in the tub; and I'm not talking about the hair on our heads. I was so grossed out after that, we ended up leaving the next day, which was a day early, but we had enough of constant disappointments.

Room Tip: Don't bother renting a suite. It's not worth it and it's really not much bigger than a r...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suzi W
SteveLambert, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Thank you for your online opinion and for allowing us to respond via the same,
I only wish we had spoken when you were here, I could help figure out what the promotion
you mention and with whom you spoke attempting to get room service. We normally bend
over backward and making great memories about accommodations are what we strive for,
give me a call so that I can better identify where and when you stayed so that we may
also have a chance to invite you to stay in our new town homes or presidential homes as well,
they do have more than a loft or alcoves for bedding. Rest assured we want you to have a
better stay and review on another trip, such as you've written from past experiences!

Thank you again, Judy the Housekeeper and Steve Lambert , GM

Reviewed 8 June 2013

My husband, 2 daughters age 4 & 6, and I spent 4 nights at the resort the last week of April 2013. Because it was shortly after Massachusetts and New Hampshire springbreak weeks, it was not crowded which was a huge plus for us. We had purchased a package including daily breakfast and passes to Kahuna Laguna. The breakfast buffet and the normal weekday breakfast was great with fresh fruit and a wide variety to please all; and the service was fantastic each morning. The staff at the front desk was wonderful and helped us out on the last night of our stay when I realized our children had not completed their stamp cards (probably because I didn't pay attention when we were checking in and did not realize my kids could get stamps on little cards for good manners/deeds from staff members throughout our stay) and they gladly stamped their cards in remembrance of my children's good manners (at least most of the time anyway-LOL). Then we took their completed cards to the Kahuna Laguna desk where my children got to pick A toy from the treasure chest. Mind you, my kids had trouble picking from sch of their final 2 choices, so the nice staff member let them have both. My girls were so happy! It was small kind gestures such as this from staff throughout our stay that made our mini-vacation that much more fun. The most impressive thing to me was the OUTSTANDING lifeguards at Kahuna Laguna. They were extremely vigilant, never sitting down and constantly surveying every little nook and cranny of the water park. It was a pleasure seeing the young lifeguards demonstrate safety as their number one priority and their dilligence in carrying out their mission was refreshing. Kudos to this team! I haven't even mentioned the spa yet. My girls had Cinderella manicures & pedicures as a special treat and they felt like princesses! I had a rejuvenating neck, back and shoulder massage, mini-facial and a full body sea salt scrub with a true processional that left me feeling like a Queen! We also took daily excursions from the resort to the nearby shops, fabulous children's museum, local playground, a short jaunt in the Dome car on the North Conway Scenic Railroad, and a short hike to Diana's Bath falls (beautiful by the way!) We ended our first two nights at the resort's bonfire where complimentary hot chocolate and marshmallows complete with roasting sticks rounded out the day perfectly. This was a great trip for my family and we intend to return sometime soon. From what others had told us prior to the trip, it is a good idea to go there during an off-peak week when the water park is less crowded and the resort a little more peaceful! Oh, and we stayed in a mountain-view room with breathtaking views! Fabulous resort with fabulous staff and management!

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Julie L
SteveLambert, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Hi Julie and Family!

So glad to hear we made you feel like part of our Red Jacket Family and were able to help make your vaction more enjoyable. Our front desk staff is always here to answer any questions you may have from dining accomodations to sight seeing. Our White Mountains have lots to offer and we can always help you find something that interests you. It is always great to see our familys take advantage of our many on site activites. A nice bonfire is always relaxing at the end of a busy day! Thank you for taking the time to mention our spa. Our spa staff works to create treaments catered to each indidual even our little "spa princesses!"

Thank you again and we hope to see you back again soon for another memoriable stay!

Steve Lambert and Awesome Staff

Reviewed 7 June 2013

I was looking for a place to take my niece to celebrate her 10th birthday and I picked the right place. Everyone was so kind and friendly and I felt like I was in a kids paradise. The front desk staff was exceptional making her feel very special. Kelly greeted us on friday and was so kind to my neice and made us feel very welcome. Stephanie was there on saturday and sunday to and was very accomodating to us. It was a little slower on sunday and she was able to let us have a late check out to be able to use the pool longer and shower in our own room.

Breakfast both days were great with Marge as our waitress. She gave us helpful hints on some places to go and we ended up getting some really good advice. We went for a beautiful hike and explored Diana bath which I didnt even know existed. Thank you all for a great time.

For parents looking at the water park and safety, I felt the lifeguards were very diligent in doing their jobs and felt safe bringing my niece there.
thanks!!!

Room Tip: I thought the room had a great set up with 2 queen beds and then a side nook with a bunk bed, great...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank nurseflynn33
SteveLambert, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Happy 10th Birthday! We are so proud of Marj, Stephanie and Kelly and all their unsung back up crew. Thank you so much for letting us be the backdrop for your best 10 Year Birthday Getaway with your niece. We love the recap of the extra touches that we do day in and day out and Yes, we are Subject Matter Experts when it comes to What To Do beyond Kahuna Laguna fun! Our team fans out all over the many attractions and samples them ourselves so we can best-fit recommend how a vacation can be filled with White Mountain Outside and Inside excitement. I have thanked our Life Guards for their extraordinary record of safety and supervision everyday...

Come back before the princess has her 11th Birthday and if not, rest assured- Marj, Stephanie and Miss Kelly will be awaiting her return to our Resort!

Thank you again and Have a great summer of family time...

Steve Lambert & Birthday Resort Specialists

Reviewed 7 June 2013

My daughter's wedding party stayed at this hotel at the beginning of May. We had pre-booked for this event almost 6 months in advance. Guests had difficulty booking rooms/accommodations for our wedding block. Our daughter's Bridal Suite turned out to be an expensive king bedroom + a jacuzzi tub. Our townhome was filthy and despite that we were told the "townhomes had been upgraded with new furniture, etc", the furniture was shabby, the rugs threadbare and the entire place just smelled like poor hygiene and sweat. Some of my daughter's wedding guests "reserved" certain rooms and when they arrived they were told "a reservation does not guarantee you will get a specific room." The general manager of the hotel, Steve Lambert, tried to ameliorate the problems, and there were many. I wrote a letter to a senior Executive Vice President about our stay and I have yet to receive any communication from him or his office. It clearly means that the top management at Red Jacket Resorts does not care about their customers nor their complaints and perhaps that is the main reason our wedding party experienced so very many negatives? Would I stay there again? Not on your life!

Room Tip: Only reserve and stay in the Presidential Homes, but do it soon because the cleaning staff will ensu...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank AlleneLS

Dear Mother of the Bride: Thank you for your given the opportunity to read your opinion after your big weekend. We certainly are sorry we missed the mark to earn your own five stars, I did think that the room moves and eventual new accommodations you found to your liking were finally what gained praise! I believe letters have crossed in the mail, nonetheless, we can only hope to have your family and friends back for a better time. Our Town Homes are completely renovated and awaiting your 2014 return with a spotless inspection promised.
Please pass along our congratulations to your daughter and a second hug goodbye as she shared with her own Thank You!

Thank you again for your visit and the areas we did great own we promise to repeat on any trip!

Steve Lambert & Linda Saragusa the "Brides Best Friend"

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed at the Red Jacket Inn for the third year in a row using the Living Social deal. We travel annually with our kids (ages 7 and 4) and I hate to say, I am not sure who is more excited about the trip- me or the kids! The obvious highlight of the trip is the Kahuna Laguna water park. Each year we come, we are impressed with the cleanliness of the facility and attentiveness of the staff and lifeguards. As I stated, we usually go through the Living Social deal, and I have to say as much as I love the water park, I am not sure I would buy passes a la carte. I'm not sure about the guest rate but for non hotel guests the rate is $40 per person. Call me cheap, but I don't think it's worth $160 for a family of four.

The hotel itself is very beautiful, but the rooms are a little dated. However, they are clean, so no complaints here! We are there for the fun, not the room decor. Every time we stay I do note that the compound is very heavy on families visiting- lots of kids running around. This is fine with me since my kids are part of the masses, but I am not sure if I would visit as a couples-only stay.

We are always impressed with the activities going on in the hotel- from wagon rides, marshmallow roasting, and wii tournaments. Kids love the cookies in the lobby and the grown ups always like the cucumber water! Breakfast buffet is super delicious and reasonably priced, and for what you get it's a great bargain.

On our stay this year, we had the worst guests right above us. For hours on end, they made so much noise I wasn't sure it was possible! Our wall hangings were shaking- seriously it was that bad. However, we talked to the staff both nights and they were prompt about addressing it with the people and they apologized profusely for the inconvenience. I always feel bad being "that person" at a hotel - especially one with so many kids, but they assured us it was OK. I don't blame the hotel for this one bit- they did what they could and was happy with their efforts.

The spa is also very nice. I have had a massage and a manicure there, and my friends with whom I was traveling had facials and enjoyed it. The spa is tucked away so you don't feel like you're in the middle of all the happenings going on.

All in all, we will be back again!

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view with a balcony- views are breathtaking!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TheG5
SteveLambert, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Welcome back for your 3rd year! We loved seeing your recap raving about our people, clean rooms and fun activities..>Thank you very much for the kind words which we thrive on. We do have traditional looks to our rooms and without major shifts are constantly adding elements and staying on top of needs like our Free Wifi and other updates! We promise to continue noticeable design elements each year...Thank you also for mentioning the family who you were impacted by with their levels of 'fun' - as you know, we will happily contact others and request that they honor our Quiet times and help ALL our families enjoy the precious quality time we strive to etch out in today's world. Thank you again for the online package reservation and be sure to call me direct or ask our reservation team about other deals, we have Thomas The Train coming this summer for example that saves money and provides extraordinary quality time for mom, dad and Timmy and Tina too...

I hope you come back before '14 and give my Presidential Homes or Town Homes a visit, the'yre the talk of the town for everyone who comes with a touch of home in the White Mountains!

Steve Lambert & Miss Laura the Activities Maven

Reviewed 2 June 2013

My son and I stayed in one of the family condos at the resort. It was a two floor suite, 2 bedrooms, a large living room, dining room and kitchen. The kitchen was well equipped and there was coffee for ever restocked every morning. The staff was incredible, always bringing us new towels in a flash. My son loved the water park and the restaurant we reasonable and offered a great selection. We were there for a conference, therefore the staff was busy, but always available to help. We couldn't have had a better experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank RaisingMiro

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback and for letting us serve your family as our guests,
during work and play! Seeing how your son travelled with you for your work, it means alot to us that our backdrop for quality time between you two was just what you sought! We are a crew of energetic step-up folks who do deliver towels in a flash : to name one...Thank you for the nice words in your five star review. Whether at a conference or a Saco River play-vacation, we promise to be here for another nice time together for your family, anytime!

Steve Lambert & Conference Stars

Reviewed 30 May 2013

It has been a while since my last review. I did not know there was a three month time period that has to pass before you can review the same place. That being said, this review encompasses the stays my family has had at the Red Jacket Mountain View resort in February, March, April, and May. We also already have a stay planned for June. The February and April stays were the tail end of our NH vacation weeks, and March was Easter Weekend. May was the weekend after mother's day.

Our stays were simply slam dunks, or home runs, hat tricks or touchdowns! We have never had an unpleasant experience here. We are happily greeted by FRIST name when we check in, and the whole front desk staff has a high five for our son, Alexander. They make us feel like we are just coming back home, rather than checking in to a resort.

Keeping Alexander happy can be a challenge. He has Autism and his needs are different than typically developing kiddos. The staff has taken the time to understand that he can't speak, but that it does not mean he doesn't want to interact. The high fives are huge, and Alexander eagerly returns them all. He is even getting better at making eye contact with the staff, a testament to how much effort they put into making him feel comfortable.

Any need that arose, from a cot to keep Alexander safe, or managing a switch in the location of our room with the swiftness of a highly trained ninja was taken care of. Alexander loves the water park, but also appreciates the lobby, Hampshire Hall, the mountain view room, and any area that is empty and he can run, run, run. I have never felt so at ease when at a hotel than I do while we are guests at the Red Jacket. We own timeshare elsewhere, and could stay away from home at an incredibly reduced rate, but the service and commitment to excellence and attention to detail keep us coming back to the Red Jacket.

I offer no negative words, all of our experiences here have been wonderful. We are treated like family while we are here. I can not recommend this resort any more highly.

Room Tip: We stay on the first floor, in a mountain view room. Great direct access to the wonderful front law...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Ashleigh L
SteveLambert, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Dear Ashleigh and Family:
Your home away from home Thanks you very much for constantly being great friends of the resort. Your beautiful words were great for the team to read this morning and rest assured, we love seeing your family ascend up the hill into our resort as much as you all enjoy spending time with us.
Seeing Alex grow over the years has been a special connection with everyone from our dining room to housekeeping teams...certainly we hope you find a cooling off trip this summer in your agendas!
Your mentioning the Ninja Speedlike approach we have and honestly, we love stepping out of the box and assisting whenever we can to ensure great stays. We all appreciate that you've taken time out of your family's day to share a five star review: We wear it proudly!

Thank you again for being great friends of the resort and give Alex a high five for us!

Steve Lambert & Awesome Resort Team