“First experience with a B & B was excellent!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Conway
Farm by the River Bed and Breakfast with Stables
Ranked #8 of 21 North Conway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Our family of three (daughter is almost 6) stayed for 4 nights in the upstairs northwood/ fathers suite. This was our first experience staying at a bed and breakfast and to be honest we were a little nervous because we've always stayed at a "family resort" kind of place. We couldn't be happier with our decision to stay at the farm by the river! From the moment we arrived we were greeted with warm smiles and afternoon tea with home made cookies. Our rooms were a perfect set up for us because our daughter had her own space and at night when she fell asleep we were able to relax in our own room with a couch and large tv or just watch the horses through our windows.
Every morning we woke to the smell of Rick and Charlene cooking the most fabulous breakfast! My daughter and husband said it was the best breakfast they ever had (it really was amazing!). Everything is homemade from the fresh muffins to mini apple pastries (I was tempted to ask for the recipe they were so delicious) That's just to start. After that we were offered eggs any way with toast and meat.
The staff at the stables and home were all extremely friendly and helpful with suggestions of where to eat and things to do.
Thank you for a trip to remember.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank CtFamily3

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here as a family of 4 in a 2 room suite on the second floor. Rooms were immaculate and comfortable. The owners go out of their way to make sure each guest feels at home. Breakfast on the patio overlooking the farm was absolutely perfect. We took full advantage of the farm with a family trail ride. The horses were beautiful and well trained. The trail ride through the farm was a highlight of our trip. Highly recommend this B&B!

Room Tip: 2 room suite great for families
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Not that I visit B&B's often, but this one seemed decent to me. I would advise you don't trust ALL the pictures on the website, some things have changed.

The furnishings are a little old-fashioned, and in my opinion it isn't quite 'quaint'. I do recommend a room further from the street because despite the shades I could still see the light of cars passing on the road outside. The shower water pressure was low at the comfortable temp. One day the maid didn't come in to do up the beds, even though we were out between 9:45 and noon, she did come in the afternoon when we were occupying the room and would rather not have been disturbed.

When we went to the 'dining room' for breakfast at 8:15 we weren't noticed for 30 minutes until someone from my party excused themselves to inquire about the service. We were given the same meal options twice in a row- but the food was tasty and warm none the less.

I loved the stable staff- they were very sociable and kind. I went on one horse ride, it was pleasant, although I would recommend not back tracking as much. The horses were in excellent condition and for the most part well behaved- however one was having a bad day but the leaders handled the situation expertly.

The grounds were beautiful, but try Echo Lake instead of the river on their property. Loved the swing they had and hammock Rick put up.

Room Tip: One far from the road and on the second floor will get you a better nights sleep.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sally A
rexidnight, Owner at Farm by the River Bed and Breakfast with Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for your comments. Please receive the warmest greetings from us. We appreciate the time you have taken to give us feedback and comments. We take them very seriously and it helps us identify areas of improvements. We are continually trying to improve our facility. Yes all B and Bs are different. We are an authentic New England inn dating back to 1771 with 7 generations on the land -with 10 unique rooms with private baths some with jacuzzi and fireplace –two room suites also. Because we are a farm we are on the casual side. We are in a residential-agricultural district and we are surround by our own property on three sides. We are on a designated “Scenic Road” on the quiet side of North Conway. Most other inns B and Bs are on the Rte. 16 –the highway. Our 2 common rooms have furniture that have been passed down through the generations of the family members, such as Empire and Hitchcock chairs, a gate leg table and hutch mixed with a collection of antique plates- to modern furniture. We have tables and chairs set up in each room for breakfast or we have breakfast out on our patio deck when the weather is good. Our breakfast spans between 8:15-9:30am. Lots of time people are up early for coffee and chat with the innkeepers about how to spend their day .Again, as we did once to you before, we apologize we did not realize you were down for breakfast yet as breakfast was served in our two common rooms.

We are glad you liked the grounds and our award winning stables. Our guests do a loop ride-- they go down a hill into the meadows , skirt along the into the woods, go through 200 year old Maple stands while viewing the Saco River and then head back and go through meadows while seeing panoramic mountain views to get back to the barn. Saco River is very popular for swimming and Echo Lake just ½ mile away tends to be warmer than the Saco River in July. We wish you well.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We (two adults) were planning to only stay one night in North Conway but after talking to Rick on the phone it was apparent this was a special place. We booked two nights in the Captain's room. The room is located on the second floor at the front. The bed was very comfy and the room well appointed. A slight word of caution on the front rooms, you can get road noise with the windows open which could be of concern if you are a light sleeper. In our case this was not an issue.

From the moment we arrived Rick and Charlene made us feel at home. They are very warm and sociable people who provide a great country vibe and amazing insight into the area. They recommended excellent places to eat and golf which we took advantage of and were highly impressed with the quality and service. The breakfasts were plentiful with Rick tending to your every request.

The horse back riding was a bonus to have on site and we enjoyed a morning ride. Thanks to Bob and Charlie our horses.

They have a wonderful garden with pond that we relaxed in sipping wine before dinner. An added bonus was being entertained by Freckles and Max the two goats. Such fun!!

We had a wonderful time, met some interesting people and left completely happy stay. Thank you Rick and Charlene you were amazing hosts. We truely will be back!

Richard & Maureen

Room Tip: Rooms away from road are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shelbers
rexidnight, Owner at Farm by the River Bed and Breakfast with Stables, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you so much for your nice review! It was fun getting to know you. Charlene

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Absolutely loved this place! The experience was truly great. I have a family of 4, my kids are actually pretty much grown and we had a suite, two rooms with an adjoining bath. It worked out absolutely perfectly. My husband who is iffy on the B&B experience honestly felt it was the best place we stayed on our whole vacation. The breakfasts were excellent, Charlene and Rick were warm, friendly and helpful. Great resource of things to do places to go and eat, even places for further into our trip. We went for a ride on the horses and that was really enjoyable as well. The history of the place is so interesting. I will really return in the future!

Room Tip: Contact inn keepers directly to discuss your needs they are extremely helpful in customizing your ex...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Teresa C

Thanks much for your comments. We look forward to your return! Charlene and Rick

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights in July and hated to leave. I am writing this review as I comfortably lie here in my room on my last night. My husband and I stayed here with our 2 teenage children. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite on the first level. Rick and Charlene are amazing people making you feel as if you have known them for years. I consider myself a hotel snob. I can be very critical of accommodations and am happy to report that this place is a slice of heaven.
The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The grounds are beautiful showcasing horses, goats, chipmunks, hummingbirds etc...Rick was kind enough to let my daughter go into the horse field to hand feed them apples. His kind and caring soul touched my heart.
I can not imagine staying anywhere else in New Hampshire! ! Thank you Rick and Charlene for letting us into your home!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Roseanne3

Glad you had a good time and thanks for the nice comments!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My family just completed a 3 night stay at this historic farm house. We had 2 joining rooms with a shared bath. The views could be lovely, but the house was close to the road and there was quite a bit of traffic. The smaller room, Father's Room, where my 2 daughters slept was very small, indeed. There was not enough room to walk around the bed. The North Woods room was larger and had some breathing room, but there was not enough storage for 2 people to unpack small suitcases. There are WiFi passwords posted all around the house, but we could never seem to connect.

My bigger issues are with the lack of attention to detail. We had emailed in advance about small dietary needs and also the need for an early breakfast as we had to leave at 6:30am in order to attend a special event at Mt. Washington. When we were ready to leave early in the morning, a family of 4 were presented with 2 mugs of coffee on the kitchen table - to be consumed there and 4 slices of banana bread with butter available to be placed on the bread. Many years ago we stayed at a different B & B in the same region as a couple and when we needed to leave quite early for an early rock climb, we were provided with full breakfasts that were packaged for travel (muffins/quick bread, fruit, breakfast sandwiches), as well as coffee in travel mugs. On our second morning, we were not served a complete meal even though we had a lovely table on the deck. Our dietary needs about not being able to eat pork were completely disregarded. When it was brought to their attention, we could hear the inn keepers inside the kitchen possible look at the email and they said, oh yeah, no pork. They apologized, but there was not another side dish offered to accompany our eggs and toast after starting with some pastry and fruit. The whole house smelled like bacon and we were thankful that no one in our party had an allergic reaction. On our third and final morning, we were served a muffin and fruit and had eggs and cottage fries. I have never been to a B & B where a meal was repeated.

The whole house had smelled from cooked fish when we checked in on a Saturday evening - even upstairs in the guest rooms. The morning with the bacon incident had the whole house smelling of bacon, as well. I think that a good exhaust fan would be helpful in the kitchen. We also got locked out of the house one night which was very unpleasant. We arrived at the inn before 9:00pm and the front door was locked. There was a handwritten sign stating to ring the doorbell in a particular manner if it was a true emergency. That didn't work. I then called the inn and I got a recording which left an emergency phone number. We called the number and got a FAX machine instead of a person. We received numerous bug bites before being able to walk around the back, through two locked gates, in the dark, up the deck and in through the kitchen.

For the rate that we paid, I was expecting higher quality amenities in the bathroom, full homemade breakfasts and snacks available in the afternoon. The cookie plate was almost always empty. Some people might consider our experience as part of the New England charm, but I just thought their was disorganization and a lack of attention to detail which would have made us, as guest, feel welcomed and comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank audiobabe

It is unfortunate that the family was not entirely happy with our inn, but we were not aware of any issues at the time and if we were we would have been happy to accommodate them as much as possible. The breakfast was served on the patio overlooking the gardens mountains and horses. We apologized for offering them meat, however it was not put on their plate and we offered them something meatless the next day and eggs ANY STYLE. Most people enjoy the smell of breakfast and coffee in the morning. Our cookies are homemade and very popular-I guess an innkeeper you cant make enough cookies to please everyone!