“Too focused on kids and shopping”

North Conway Grand Hotel
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My fiance and I were trying to get away to relax. Relaxing was difficult in this overly-family-oriented hotel. Use of either of the two pool areas was prohibitive due to the large number of screaming children during our entire 4 day stay. We looked in several times each day to see if the crowds had cleared out, but it was always wall-to-wall people in both pools. Adult swim was supposed to be from 10pm to 11pm, but by that hour, we were both in bed.

We enjoy the outdoors, however the front desk staff had no knowledge of local hiking or waterfall trails. We made due with the flyers available in the lobby and by printing a waterfall brochure in the hotel business center.

There was a card in the bathroom suggesting how hotel guests could conserve water, however, the hot water faucet constantly leaked.

For the most part, the room was clean. However, there was thick, visible dust under the microwave. Also, the coffee maker had not been cleaned from the guest prior to us. We were a little put off by the fact that the coffee maker was located in the bathroom in the first place (sanitary?), but decided to clean it out and use it anyway.

One evening, we had dinner in the restaurant. I was surprised that there was only one other couple having dinner while we were there. Both the food and the service were excellent in the restaurant. Though we will probably never stay in the hotel again, we may consider dining in the restaurant again the next time we're in the area.

Overall, the hotel wasn't horrible. It's ideal for families of 6 or people who love outlet shopping. If you don't mind kids everywhere (hallways, elevators, lobby, pool areas), then go for it!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marie C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,468)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I stayed one night in this hotel, and will not be returning. We booked our king-bed room 48 hours prior to our stay, and while on the phone with the reservationist, I was told that because we booked so close to the date of our stay, our reservation was now "confirmed" (meaning, I would be charged for my stay if I cancelled). I did not have a problem with that, however I asked for an e-mail to be sent with proof of this confirmation, and promptly received one. I also informed the reservationist that we would be arriving late at night, between 10-11pm, and he stated that that wouldn't be a problem. Well, we arrived at 10:30 pm, after driving 5 hours, and were told that there were no more king-bedrooms available and we would have to stay in a room with two queen beds and was offered free breakfast. I was also told that if I had confirmed my reservation, they would have blocked my room. First of all, the point of a reservation is to RESERVE the room, but I also explained to the woman at the front desk that my reservation had been confirmed, as I had just booked it 2 days ago, and told the reservationist we would be arriving late!!! Basically, they just gave away our room… We were then told that the only room available with a king-bed was the Suite, but that they would not give that room to us unless we wanted to pay for the upgrade. We were furious! I have never been to any type of hotel, and then asked to pay for an upgrade when my room reservation was given away. So we refused, took the double queen room with free breakfast, and went up to our room.

As soon as we walked in we felt like we were in a room with another family. They had given us a room that was adjoining to another room, and there was absolutely no sound barrier. You could hear the other family as if they were in our own room. By this time, it was after 11pm and we just wanted to go to sleep. My husband went back down to the front desk and spoke to the manager on duty to see if they would now let us stay in the Suite as this was quite unacceptable. We were again told no, in fact his exact words were, "I am not going to give you that room." It was after 11pm, the chances of someone walking in off the street to demand a Suite was next to none! He did offer to change the room, but only to a room on the first floor, and we were warned to not stay on the first floor because of the noise level there as well. So we stayed in our room, and thankfully the family next door also went to bed by this time as well.

I have never written a negative review of a hotel before, however I felt that the customer service here was terrible. Our room reservation was not honored, despite it being reserved AND confirmed, and then to not try to honor our request with another king-bed room was wrong. We did not care whether or not we stayed in a Suite, we're not in a high-end hotel here, we just wanted a king-sized bed. Please be aware that your reservation may be given away if you arrive late, and that the customer service is unprofessional.

I will say that the front desk staff in the morning was very nice, the breakfast was good, and the staff in the restaurant was also very nice. We just had an issue with the manager on that Friday night.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 10Christina
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Overall, this is a nice place to stay. Rooms are clean and very comfortable. Location is close to the outlets which is very convenient. Family atmosphere with indoor and outdoor pools and lots of activities for children. I would say that given the other hotels in the area include a hot breakfast in their price (and this one doesn't), this jot is over priced.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed only one night but would of liked to have stayed more. The kids had a great time in the pool and game room. Loved the fact that they provided towels at the pool. Our room was clean and the staff was great. We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel and the food was very good. My only compliant was that we didn't know about the movie or other activities for the kids. I didn't see the small sign on the desk when checking in. Maybe it should be pointed out or a print out given.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Wonderful amenities in a beautiful town! My girls (3 &5) didn't want to leave! We stayed in the family suite, which while spacious and perfect was slightly dated. The perks of the hotel (playground, 3 pools, fire pit, ice cream socials, movies for kids...) more than make up for the slightly dated decor. Staff was friendly and helpful. We are already planning our return!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
srnhg, Owner at North Conway Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for being our guests at the North Conway Grand Hotel and writing such a great review. We are pleased to hear that our staff, our amenities, and the hotel itself met/exceeded your expectations.

Located in the heart of North Conway, the North Conway Grand Hotel is one of the finest resorts in the White Mountain Region. With oversized guest rooms, family and Jacuzzi suites, many with beautiful pond or mountain views, we can satisfy most vacation needs. All guest rooms feature marble bathrooms, luxurious bath amenities, hairdryer, refrigerator, and microwave, Cable TV with Nintendo, and DVD players with free use of our extensive DVD library. In addition we offer free in-room wireless Internet, CD and MP3 player, safe, and gourmet coffee and tea.

We hope that you were able to enjoy the many features and amenities of our resort including: indoor pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, game room, exercise room, and year-round outdoor pool and hot tub, playground, seasonal kiddie pool, and fire pit. We also feature nightly movies in our state-of-the-art movie room, a full service restaurant and bar, and New England’s best outlet shopping on site with over 60 shops. Conveniently located near many attractions including Story Land, be sure to book your tickets online with us.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

As noted by previous reviewers, this hotel is popular for families with young children and is right next to the outlet mall. The front desk was helpful in getting me a room away from all the "action", 4th floor & away from the elevators as pointed out by other reviewers. I was in the area for business and only needed a clean room and a shower, so that part was great. The microwave and mini fridge was a bonus.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid noise from the many children, the 4th floor & away from the elevators worke...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a hotel for the masses and that said it has plenty of crowds staying there. It is located basically in the parking lot of the adjoining outlet mall, a depressing location considering all the natural beauty and space in NH, but this is exactly the crowd the the hotel is aiming for - outlet shoppers who don't want to even get in their car and drive. It is on par with a Courtyard, Hampton inn or other low end hotel chain. Clean but generic despite a lobby with life size stuffed animals, the rooms and rest of the hotel has basic amenities and not even the breakfast bar that chains offer. I would never return or recommend it, but it serves a purpose for many guests.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family