“consistently good food, great ice cream”

Johnson's Dairy Bar
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Northwood
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 8 July 2013

this is a favorite spot between Concord NH and the seacoast of NH/ME. Originally a dairy bar, it is now known equally for good seafood dinners. The ice cream remains great and the serving sizes are huge for the price. A kiddie size is comparable to a large in many other ice cream spots. Servers are all very accommodating and friendly. They also have a bakery counter full of pies, whoopie pies, macaroons, etc.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

In the interest of full disclosure, my first real job was with Johnson's back in the early 70's. In those days, Johnson's focused on their homemade ice cream, made with cream fresh from the farm. Over the years, new owners changed the focus to developing an excellent restaurant. The food was excellent, especially the seafood, with large portions for a reasonable price. I seldom order seafood if I can't smell the ocean, but Johnson's was the exception. My brother and I took our wives to dinner there the other night, and I was disappointed by the portions. I paid $24 for the whole clams and sea scallop combo and was shocked at how little food I received. When the waitress brought out my plate, I asked her if there was some mistake. I had 6 scallops, only two of which were of decent size, and about 8 clams. It was hard to tell home many clams, as my "whole" clams seemed to be about 10 necks and 4 bellies. Much to my wife's dismay, I made my disappointment extremely clear to our waitress, who was about as poor at her job as any waitress I've had in quite some time. She offered no explanation, nor did she do what any decent waitress is trained to do; bring over the manager. I should probably mention she forgot our cocktail sauce and tartar sauce, and my brother's vegtables. Had she bothered to check on us before the meal was half consumed, she could have rectified those issues. In fairness, the food I did get was very good. As for the dessert offerings, I suppose it is unrealistic to expect all the pastries and ice cream to be homemade like they were in the old days. They use Richardson's ice cream, which is a decent quality ice cream. The ice cream portions are huge, with a big price to match. My wife and I usually get a large sundae, which has 5 scoops of ice cream; more than enough for two. At almost $7, it's not cheap, but at least the portion is relative to the cost. As I'm sure Johnson's is aware, I have many options when I dine out and Johnson's has slipped a couple of notches on the list.

2  Thank Kangayop
Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

Have been there many times and up until last visit has always been great. First, they forgot about us as we waited for a table. We even checked with hostess after the 25 min estimate and they told us "just a little longer."
After another 25 min of watching others get seated I went to find out the skinny. They apologized and said that they forgot about us then seated us immediately. Food was ok. My baked scallops looked like bait in a dish...for $24. Waitress told me the dessert special pie was berries only and not full of apples.....it was full of apples and was mealy. At this point I was looking for the "Willy Vision" cameras from the food channel.
Manager never came over to apologize and it was clear he knew about the seating issue. Service was otherwise ok. I really hope that evening was a "hiccup" and not a trend or sign of things to come. Johnson's has always been great until this last visit.
We drive past 3 other comparable places to get there from our home and hope that we don't feel compelled to shorten our drives for good New England style seafood.

4  Thank Vagoda
Reviewed 11 November 2012

The steak tips are the best around, marinated to perfection. A fresh mini loaf of bread is brought to the table upon being seated. The prices are a little steep for the area, so eating at Johnson's is usually reserved for special occasions.

2  Thank Judith A