“MacDowell Colony escape to get internet”

Jack Daniels Motor Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Peterborough
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“MacDowell Colony escape to get internet”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The charming and historical town of Peterborough is also home of the world class and oldest US artist colony, the MacDowell Colony. I spent 5 weeks there, and periodically escaped to downtown Peterborough for health food, and the occasional beer. :) The internet is not available at the Colony, except in a library, and so I actually checked in 2 times at the Jack Daniels Motor Inn for internet access. Get a ground floor room that overlooks the river if you can. It's clean and efficient, and the internet was full speed. I gave a remote final exam for a college class, as well as Skyped with friends while there. If you are down on Bed n Breakfasts, this is your only choice in Peterborough. And it is a fine choice for a motel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Mega dittos to what the other reviewers have to say about the Jack Daniels. I'll add that the mattress was the most comfortable that I have slept on in a hotel or motel and the bedding was really high quality including ironed cotton sheets. Now for the big detraction: though the rooms are non smoking, guests are permitted to smoke right outside of their rooms. Cigarette smoke is trapped by the ceilings on the balcony and portico and gathers at the enclosed ends. For those who are sensitive to cigarette smoke, this presents a problem. If the Jack Daniels were completely smoke free, it would easily rate 5 stars.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TripMember06022016
Con2cook, Owner at Jack Daniels Motor Inn, responded to this review, 4 July 2015
Thank you for your fair and honest review. Your comments regarding second-hand smoke matched our concerns. Finally, in June 2015 we created a Designated Smoking Area located away from the building and rooms. All of our rooms are non-smoking and we no longer allow smoking on the second-floor deck or the ground-floor walkway. I am sorry it took us so long to correct this.
Chicago
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Perfect little classic motel. Comfortable, beautiful setting, lovely staff and quaint town. We enjoyed our breakfast (supplied by the inn) at the picnic table by the river. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in the area! We have stayed there many times and always been happy.

Stayed June 2014
Somers, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Jack Daniels is practically the only game in town if you want to stay in Peterborough, as I found out when I started researching the options. Fortunately, it's a nice establishment so I was happy with my choice. The location is very close to downtown, and the rooms were spacious and clean (my most important criterion), though the room was a little dark so I tended to keep all the lights on. It was quiet even though it's right off of a main road, and the service was excellent - I felt perfectly comfortable going to the office to ask for advice on locations in town, or to grab the complementary breakfast (and don't forget cookies in the evening!). The folks behind the counter were very friendly and welcoming.

The only part I wasn't thrilled about was that the price is a little high for a motor inn in my opinion, at $139/night (my wife has stayed at full-blown hotels for $80 in Maryland and I don't think of Peterborough as warranting city prices). But in fairness it's priced to the market, as the alternatives I researched were about the same or more expensive. Though I found slightly less expensive alternatives, they were outside of town by 15-20 minutes. As a result, for me, the location won out versus saving a few bucks per night. I willingly chose to pay the rate when I booked so I don't blame them, but just be aware that the the value is good though not a bargain.

Overall it's a nice establishment with a great location and wonderful proprietors, but "only" a good value instead of a great value. All things considered, I would stay here again, but would price shop it again too before I made my final reservation.

If you found this review helpful please let me know and mark it! Thanks.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris C
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

I would definitely stay here again. The front desk/owners were friendly and helpful. I loved the modern bathroom with glass shower door and no icky curtain. Neat room darkening shades that you just pull down or push up. The desk with mirror was a nice place to sit while doing my hair and make up. Breakfast was nice with yogurt, fruit, cereal and juice that one can take back to their room. One recommendation: ask for a room on the river side as opposed to the road. The noise didn't keep me up but I was second in from the road and could hear traffic.

Cute and clean motel...the owners really care about this place.

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Explorer926
Con2cook, Owner at Jack Daniels Motor Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
We certainly hope that you will have a chance to stay with us again! Thank you for this review - you have touched on points that are great feedback for us as well as very helpful information for future guests.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stay here for 2 nights each summer for the MacDowell Colony Medal Day weekend, and are always pleased to return. The rooms are large and comfortable, very clean, and the owners are friendly in a sincere way. By now, they even reserve our favorite room (it has a view of a rapidly rushing stream nearby) for us a year ahead of time. One can walk to central Peterborough but most people probably drive to get food there or elsewhere in the area. Several churches are on the same road leading to the center of this pleasant town. The Inn offers a continental breakfast with juice, coffee, and pastries and perhaps something else such as yogurt but I can't be sure of that.

Room Tip: Rooms at the far right end will have a view of the pretty stream.