“A Great Eatery at the Foot of Mt. Monadnock”
Review of Bantam Grill

Bantam Grill
Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Peterborough
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I had driven by the Bantam Grill many times and were impressed with the always-full parking lot. So late one Tuesday morning we decided to stop in and try out the lunch service. The restaurant is nicely designed with about 50 tables of various sizes and a full bar. The decor is bright and joyful - mostly poultry themed. Even the restrooms are nicely appointed with colorful ceramic sinks and backsplashes. Someone put a lot of thought into making the place look nice.

Our server was friendly and helpful as it seems was true for all the staff. Not a moment passed when someone didn't ask if we needed refills.

The menu is creative and built around fresh products bought from area farms. The farms are even listed so you get a sense that the Grill values its locale and offers up wholesome and mostly organic ingredients. My wife ordered their homemade lemonade which she loved. It was a bit tart (the way she likes it) and the server offered to sweeten it more if she wanted. This was not your average off the shelf Minute Maid!

The BLT sandwich my wife ordered was served on a nice roll, loaded with applewood-smoked bacon and very fresh tomato and lettuce. She gave it a two-thumbs up. I opted for one of the specials that day - a barbecued brisket sandwich with melted cheddar and spicy slaw. This came on a really nice Challah roll. It was fantastic, with just enough bite to be pleasing to someone like me who enjoys spicy stuff. Both meals came with a generous pile of distinctive french fries - a little bigger than shoestrings with a crusty outside and soft inside. They were wonderful.

The Bantam Grill is located in a strip mall right across from the Peterborough Basket factory. We plan to go back and try out the dinner fare. All-in-all , we think it was worth 5 cocka-doodle-doo's!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

After a day long hike up Monadnock my family came upon Bantam Grill ravenous with hunger. The atmosphere was casual, seating a little crowded, with a little energy about it, clean, and welcoming. We were seated quickly. Overall service was a little slow, but worth the wait.

We ordered the "Hickory Smoked Duck Confit Drummettes", which was a interesting and different for an appetizer. The duck was tasty as was the jalapeno slaw and walnut it was served. Just what the doctor ordered to quell our appetites while waiting for the main dishes.

Two in our party ordered the "Zuppa de Pesces". The Mussels, Shrimp, and Scallops was delicious and filling served on Orzo rice. Our daughter's BBQ Brisket was just right for our daughter served with a sweet BBQ sauce. We were surprised our daughter could finish such a large helping. My "Spicy Sausage & Handmade Farfalle" was delicious; the sausage just spicy enough complemented by a rich garlic broth.

Our family would recommend this as a great food refill after any outdoor activities in the area.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

The food was delicious, fresh, unique (in a very good way) and well plated. The atmosphere was warm and inviting and the service was just fine. Nice job Bantam, will come again.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My elderly mother and I stopped here for late lunch on a Saturday afternoon. Weren't more than eight customers when we arrived. Put in our drink orders which arrived promptly, then ordered food. And waited. And waited. Meanwhile, two couples were seated near us got all kinds of attention from the manager. After 20 minutes, no food, not able to get attention of wait staff we were getting ready to leave when the food finally arrived, with no apology for the wait. The table with two couples? Food flew out of the kitchen for them. My mother ordered a/bowl of soup and an order of fries. I had a bowl of soup and veggie wrap. The fries were excellent. The tomato soup and French onion soup were OK. Wrap for veggie wrap was stale. Total bill
was over $25 and we didn't have alcohol.
Bottom line, if you are a middle aged woman with her elderly mother, might want to find a place caters to more than young couples.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great for lunch or dinner. Nice, casual atmosphere. Express lunches are a good value. Some of my favorites are the shrimp and grits, the brussel sprouts, the burger, the bantam chicken.