“most idyllic rural landscape and historic inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Home Hill Inn Restaurant - CLOSED

Home Hill Inn Restaurant
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rt. 12a
White Mountains
“most idyllic rural landscape and historic inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

We were two couples traveling together and we had a wonderful dinner at the Home Hill Inn. Select Registry Country Inns are always worth a visit. While not far from the busy towns of Lebanon and Hanover, NH, once you turn off the main road you are surrounded by the most idyllic rural landscape. We passed many farms and a sugarhouse before reaching the inn. The inn is a historic building dating back 1828. The hostess sat us in a cozy room in front of a gas fireplace. I was immediately impressed by the number of menu items from local farm. They had an excellent wine list and we found the perfect Pinot Noir. We share a cheese plate of both New Hampshire and Vermont cheese for the first course. They were all very good. For entrees we had the Chicken, Rabbit, Homemade Pasta and Steak. I had the Rib Eye steak and it was perfect. It was served with asparagus and fries cooked in duck fat. We also enjoy desert.

• Visited March 2013

Norwich, Vermont
“Disappointed with Thanksgiving Day Dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

Let me say from the outset, that I love the Home Hill Inn and have always enjoyed their food. It is one of my favorite places in the Upper Valley, and I frequently bring guests here, especially for their wonderful Sunday brunch.

However, a friend and I have just spent Thanksgiving Day at the Home Hill Inn, but we were both disappointed with the holiday dinner. First, we were seated in the bar instead of the elegant, French dining room. There was no menu, and then, to my dismay, we found the dinner was being served as a buffet. Certainly, it did not bode well, when to start off the meal, there were no cold plates for the raw oysters on the shell, nor for the cold shrimp and crab legs--I was told to take one of the large dinner plates outside of the buffet room, but these turned out to be very hot! I had to ask again for a cold plate, and it took ages for a plate to arrive and, when it did, it was only big enough for three oysters.

We skipped the soup (a choice of lobster bisque or a too thick corn chowder) and the fish (baked salmon) to concentrate on the main entree. Instead of seeing a whole turkey, there were only a couple of legs and part of a small breast (smaller than a capon breast) being carved by the chef. When my friend asked for the dark meat, the chef started carving slices off one of the legs (she had to ask for the whole leg!), while I was given just three small slices off the solitary breast (approximately two inches by one inch). We both felt that the turkey and brioche stuffing lacked flavor. In fact, the turkey did not even taste like a local Vermont organic one, but rather a supermarket frozen one. Surprising, as the restaurant prides itself on locally sourced foods! The mashed potatoes were fine, but the other vegetables were overcooked for my taste. I would have like a salad, but there was only one small salad plate with mixed greens for all of the diners. Also parsimonious was a small glass dish of cranberry sauce already on the tabs. My friend had to ask for some more.

Also surprising, there was no pumpkin pie for dessert, only one small slice of pecan pie (not very appetizing with a thick crust and few pecans!) amongst the pumpkin cupcakes for dessert. A bowl of cream was left out at room temperature. Was this to accompany the one piece of pie? The dark chocolate truffles provided on the dessert table, however, were delicious with the coffee after the meal.

The house wines by the glass were excellent. My friend chose the Chardonnay, and I chose the Pinot Noir.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Bear59
Plainfield, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quiet & comfortabel, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

The food is uncompromising, absolutely delicious. Whats better is the feeling that you are an invited guest in someones home. Such a comfortable, enjoyable place to eat

Visited September 2012
“Return to Home Hill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

Haven't been in several years but went for our 45th anniversary dinner. Service, Danielle, was most pleasant and food better than ever. Definitely worth the trip

• Visited October 2012
Connecticut
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

From the bread to the cheese plate to the salad to the braised beef with homemade noodles it was excellent. It was a bummer that we didn't have room for dessert.