“Definitely recommended!”

Barking Brook Sled Dog Adventures - Day Trips
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My husband and I went on the half-day tour and loved it. The dogs are beautiful, friendly, well cared-for, and their desire to run is incredible. The scenery was peaceful and relaxing. Whatleigh was professional, couldn't have been nicer, and obviously loves being with the dogs. We very much appreciated the fact she worked with us on rescheduling out trip to make sure there was enough snow so we would have an enjoyable experience, which we did. We looked forward to this trip for months and it lived up to all our expectations. Thank you!

1  Thank Krissy D

Reviewed 22 February 2013

I booked a 3 hr adventure with Whatleigh as a Christmas gift to my husband and was really hoping for a memorable and unique experience that wouldn't also make us feel like we were tourists. This really fit the bill! Whatleigh was great: her presence with the dogs was peaceful and loving and she engaged us friendly conversation. When my husband showed up with a hatchett (b/c he always has to be prepared, ha!) she didn't scoff (outwardly, at least) and assured him that the folding saw she brings would be sufficient. She was also kind enough to let me use an extra pair of mittens and chemical hand warmers b/c my gloves just weren't sufficient to keep the chill out. And she provides hot cocoa! Overall, this was a great experience that was well worth the $$! Thanks Whatleigh!

3  Thank Heather K
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We had never heard of going dog sledding. We got an e-mail deal to this company and are really glad we got it. We love in Boston and made a nice weekend trip of it. Stayed in a great cabin in Woodstock NH (right near where they actually take you sledding) and then had a wonderful sledding trip. The dogs are wonderfully friendly and their desire to run is truly amazing (the ones that were back at the truck yelped every time a sled group returned as they clearly wanted to be running). It was a lot of fun learning about the dogs. And the owners were friendly, knowledgeable, and clearly love their dogs. We had a great time and will definitely go again. And the dogs are wonderful; we can't speak for the owners, but we will bring our kids back (once we have some!).

One pointer... It's cold out there. We would suggest dressing like you are skiing (i.e. more layers the better, two pairs of socks and gloves, and ski goggles). Otherwise, book a trip with them. It's a very unique experience.

Reviewed 11 February 2013

The day after the Blizzard of 2013, we went to Barking Brook to experience the half hour dog sled ride our daughter gave us as a Christmas present - and what a treat it was! We had a team of 8 Siberian Huskies who were sweet as can be, and their owner Whatleigh had a wonderfully gentle way with them. They pulled us enthusiastically around the field and then we got to give them hugs and pats afterwards. Whatleigh told us a lot about her dogs, the way she feeds and cares for them and life as a musher in NH. While there are other mushers in NH, we liked Whatleigh's ethical treatment and love of her dogs. We definitely want to go back and try the half day adventure. It's only a 2 hour drive from our house in the Boston suburbs, so we drove up and back in one day and felt like we took a little vacation. Thanks for a real treat.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

My husband and I were really interested in checking "dogsledding" off of our bucket lists, but we didn't want to break the bank in order to do it. Barking Brook and Whatleigh allowed us to go for a 30-minute sled ride at a really reasonable rate ($95 for 30min). We looked at some other companies whose shortest ride was over an hour, and 2.5x the price!! So this fit our needs perfectly. Now I kindof regret not splurging on a longer ride, because it was so much fun.

The dogs are clearly happy and very well cared for by their owner, musher, and loving mom Whatleigh. I'm glad we didn't go to a larger company that was more of an operation with dozens and dozens of dogs just there to work. For any business that deals with animals, I recommend doing your research and being confident you're patronizing a place where the animals are truly treated well and the owners are involved and knowledgeable.

We could have stayed and pet these dogs all day long after our ride, they were such loves, if only it weren't for the cold! They were so friendly and cuddly, I got kisses from every one I approached. At this price, we'll definitely be back for another sled ride next winter!