“Interesting slice of American History”

Strawbery Banke Museum
Ranked #1 of 71 things to do in Portsmouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Museum houses open in December only for Candlelight Stroll: Saturdays Dec 12 and 19, 5-9 pm and Sundays, December 13 and 20, 4-8 pm. Guided Holiday House Tours offered Dec 26-31, 10 am to 2 pm with last tour starting at 2 pm. Labrie Family Skate outdoor ice rink at the museum is open daily 9 am to 9 pm (except for occasional private rentals).
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I recently visited the Portsmouth area and decided to tour Strawberry Banke. The self guided tour was very good and and is a unique and informative way to discover the History of Portsmouth. Each house has a guide who will explain as much about the history of the house and the family who lived there as you'd like to learn. Some of the buildings have actors who portray the family members in period costume (Loved Mrs. Shapiro) You could really spend several hours here as there is lots to see and activities for the children as well. The day we went was in the high 90s so we only lasted a couple of hours.

2  Thank satellitesue1

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This place is very interesting. Lots of history and a fantastic collection of historic homes. Fun for all ages.

2  Thank touron4
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I had visited Portsmouth on several occasions in the past, but never took the time to investigate the Strawberry Banke. I mistakenly thought that the Strawberry Banke was a residential neighborhood of old houses and that there was a walking tour. When I finally took the time to visit I found out it is much more than that. The self-guided tour which starts off at the Strawberry Bank Museum where you can watch a short video takes you through the actual homes that were part of Portsmouth's history. Some of the homes offer an inside view through role-playing "residents". This is a must see for anyone who is interested in history and visiting Portsmouth. My husband (who was hesitant to spend the money for admission) was very happy that he visited this site. We have recommended it to our friends.

2  Thank Bee53
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is a great place to go to learn about Plymouth through the ages. I could have spent the whole day wandering around the "Neighborhood" and gardens

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

This is an absolute must stop for anyone who wants to drench themselves in American history. All the employees were very kind and presented their areas with enthusiasm and answered any questions we had. We had a delicious meal at the cafe and the servers was wonderful. An absolute 5 star experience. Highly recommended.

1  Thank HankMimi