“Terrific location, staff, room”

Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Boston
“Terrific location, staff, room”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The location is perfect if you want to explore Portsmouth by foot. We didn't use our car all weekend. The condominium unit was huge and very nicely appointed, plus the bed, pillows and bed linens were super comfortable. What most impressed me, though, was the staff. Not only were they pleasant and gracious during our stay, but they were especially helpful and responsive prior to our arrival with several questions and requests I had. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Sheraton_Portsmouth, Manager at Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear DreamofTrains,

We're so happy to hear what a great impression the staff made. Our co-workers our certainly our best feature and we are very happy that you felt that way too.

We look forward to seeing you again.

With warmth,
Sheraton Portsmouth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Not only were the accommodations stellar, the food is brilliant, new chef, you must eat here!!!

Chef is Matt Audett, check him out, you will leave a happy camper.

Great beer list, Brad will take care of all your libation needs... Oh did I mention the view??

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Kevin,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed it. We're very proud of our new menu by Chef Matt and we're happy to hear that you loved it too.

See you soon.

Warmly,
Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This hotel was a very pleasant surprise. Given its location, I wasn't sure what to expect. While the approach from I-95 via car takes you past the industrial riverfront, once inside, the lobby is charming, the staff pleasant and helpful, and the rooms attractive and comfortable. The bed was very firm with abundant pillows and linens in good condition. The bathroom was spotless and especially nice - renovated just seven months ago. (The second floor rooms are currently being completely renovated.)

I was here for a conference and didn't eat at the small restaurant at the back of the lobby, but it was inviting and had a view of the river. While I was surprised at the charge for self-parking (across the street) and disappointed with the limited beverage and snack availability (no vending machines that I saw, only a tiny selection of items behind the registration desk), I definitely appreciated the complimentary newspapers and morning coffee. This hotel is a cozy, welcoming spot and a great value.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Janice H
Sheraton_Portsmouth, Manager at Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Janice,

Thank you so much for your comments. We are truly pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations.

We hope to have a chance to welcome you back soon.

With warmth,
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The unique shape of this hotel lends to the charm, and the service, to a great stay. It is a little bit "well loved" from the glory days when it was the first major hotel in the area, but Sheraton has done a great job of keeping up with repairs. Due to the shape of the resort, many of the rooms are different sized from others, especially near the elevators.

Be aware that Portsmouth has an active nightlife, and if you want quiet, ask for a room away from the elevators. This hotel also has villas available, which are completely adorable, and tend to attract more active groups than the main hotel. They have full kitchens, living and dining areas, and separate bedrooms on the second floor.

Also, the waterfront in Portsmouth is a working waterfront (and we are proud of it!) and there is an active salt pile across the street from part of the hotel. In the fall/winter/spring, it is a lot of fun watching the large ships come in, with the cranes making deliveries. If you may be disappointed by the view, please consider an alternative view.

I think my only negative for this resort would be the breakfast buffet. There are so many quaint breakfast locations (Popover's; The Friendly Toast) that I would recommend going on a walkabout, rather than to the buffet at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Marion C,

Thanks so much for your comments and great review of our hotel. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed it. We are in the process of sharing a whole new restaurant menu and do hope you'll give us another try next time you're in town.

Warmest Regards,
Milton, Vermont
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our home office is located in Portsmouth, so I come to the area a few times a year. This was my first time staying at the Sheraton Harborside. At first glance the building is in a unique shape which is very appealing. I'm sure depending on the room you get you may get a beautiful few of the water. The staff was outstanding from the time I checked in to the time I checked out. I was put in a room that was all the way at the end of the building so it was a little bit of a walk, but that didn’t really bother me at all. The bed was very comfortable and there was a very nice desk in the room too. It looked like there was a little mini fridge of some sort but it was locked which was a bummer. They did have a big bottle of water that you could drink for a fee and then a smaller bottle of water which was complimentary. The bathroom was decent, nothing great, but nothing bad.

The hotel does have a pool and exercise room. The pool area looked a little small but they do have one, and the exercise room looked pretty decent with a lot of different machines and equipment to use. There is a business center on site but I didn’t see it. All the rooms are equipped with free WIFI which is was very convenient for me. There is also a lounge/bar area off the lobby. I met a few coworkers for drinks the first night and it was a very nice atmosphere. I believe they also serve food too. Because the hotel is downtown you have the option of self-parking ($15/day) or valet parking ($18/day). It is also within walking distance to many shops, restaurants, and my office! I was there in February so it was a little chilly but it would be a beautiful area to walk around when the weather is warmer. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anybody coming to the area for a few days.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Nicole H,

Thank you so much for this great review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We are having a little taste of spring weather finally and look forward to welcoming you back now that the weather is being more accommodating.

Warm Regards,
Richmond, BC,
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I attended a business function at this hotel for 5 days. While the facility is an older one, I found that they were very good at ensuring everything worked well for us. As an attendee, and not an organizer everything from my viewpoint appeared to be seamless. Which is as it should be.

The meeting rooms for all of the events were the correct size. Sound and views were always good, wherever I was seated. The food provided was exceptional and the room I was given, while an inside one with a courtyard view, was perfectly acceptable.

The location is close to town where an abundance of other eating and drinking establishments are easily within walking distance. This reduces or completely removes the need for your car or even cabs! For a group the size of ours, this was a wonderful feature.

If I was to have to stay in Portsmouth again, I would choose this location. It offers a known quality and service that to me makes traveling easier.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear MarathonGuy,

Thank you very much for your review. We truly appreciate hearing such positive feedback and we hope to host your group (and you) again for years to come.

Warmest Regards,
Loudon, New Hampshire
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stop looking. Stay here! Had not stayed here in 18 years... since my honeymoon night, but unlike many hotels of that age, this one has only improved. The property is beautiful, well maintained and is very close walking distance to the heart of downtown. Great rooms and excellent service. I would suggest the little extra for the Club floor, offering some great extras. The staff was excellent. Alexandra and John checked us in and gave us some great local info to help with our impromptu night on the town. My job has me travel all over - and its a rare gem to find a hotel this pleasant.

Room Tip: Go for the Club floor and or see if you can get into one of the rooms looking over the river.