“Quaint Inn but a little musty odor”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portsmouth
The Inn at Strawbery Banke
Ranked #3 of 4 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Salem, NH
“Quaint Inn but a little musty odor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Inn at Strawbery Banke on May 14th for our anniversary. The Inn is in a wonderful location and very central in Portsmouth and within easy walking distance to many restaurants, museums and other night time activities. On the front door stoop I noticed the old boot scraper and with a nearly 200 year old house it had many other interesting features. One which we didn't like was a musty smell which greeted us on arrival but once in our room I was glad that the smell seemed to be central to the downstairs den and not our room, which was #4. Our room was large and bright and I loved the window shutters, very authentic to the Inn. The bed was incredibly comfortable but the pillows could have been a little plumper. We had our own private bathroom and while it was small it served its purpose. I would stay here again, with the proximity to the downtown and all the amenities for a rate of $125 I think is was a great deal. We didn't make it down to breakfast in the morning as we loved the comfy bed but at check out I think we missed a wonderful meal from the delicious aroma still in the air.
Many thanks to Sally and her staff for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ThatsAGiven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Montpelier, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stay in Portsmouth every year for our annual get-away. Couldn't stay where we usually do but were quite pleased with the change. The Inn is a true bed and breakfast with no frills except an exceptional breakfast. Room 5's bathroom was down the hall - the only negative aspect. It's a great location, close to restaurants & shopping and close to everything you would want to do in Portsmouth. Thank you Sally and staff for a wonderful time. We will be staying with you folks next year!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ranchguru
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

Where to start?

The B&B is located in a 200 year old house! «Wow!» I said to myself when I reserved room 4 (170$) a few months ago. To our disappointment, we found a rundown B&B in desperate need of TLC.

Likes: the location could not be any better

Dislikes: the shower was in need of a good cleaning, mildew odours covered the shower curtain and walls; long black hairs on the bathroom carpet: not ours; no antiques to be found in our room, only thrift store furniture; our room was noisy, we could here people conversing on the sidewalk; the inn really needs to be seen by a decorator with taste: no charm or unity

And if all that didn't do it for us... When came the time to pay in the morning. Our server invited me to meet with the owner in her kitchen as she was making breakfast for other guests. To my surprise, I was met with a big dog. A dog in a B&B's kitchen: disgusting and unacceptable!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DarBou
Portland, Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

Our room was right outside the entrance, very noisy. The room was musty and the blankets were stained..we we never greeted by the owner when we arrived or checked out.....As a previous B&B owner, aprt of the charm for our geuest and to meet and greet...

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank rustydog10
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

My issue with The Inn at Stawbery Banke isn't with the overall quality of the inn, which seemed very decent, it is with the room I was given which was directly beside the front entrance door. I stayed in the room for only about twenty minutes, long enough to realize that the doorbell's ringing was extremely loud. (If you don't have a key, the only way to gain entrance to the inn is by ringing the doorbell). In addition, once people were let into the inn their footsteps and voices were entirely audible inside my room. Not only was my privacy and ability to rest impacted, but as a single woman I felt unsafe there because I was near street level and near the entrance door. This room wasn't even less expensive than the other rooms! If you are a single woman thinking of booking at this inn, or a couple who wants to come back for rest during the day, make sure that you don't get this room.

• Liked — location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — room lacked privacy
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
11 Thank BlaiseChicago
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2008

We spent a night here in late September. The Inn is lovely and our room (room 4) was great with sofa and 4 poster bed. Good location close to town, no need to drive anywhere. Excellent location for visiting Strawbery Banke itself. The owner was helpful. Only downside was no choice over breakfast.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank NLD28
Romsey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2008

The Inn at Strawbery Banke is in an excellent position, close to the center of town and close to the Strawbery Banke museum, which has to be the main attraction of Portsmouth.

The Inn is very pleasant - clean and tidy, with a nice sitting room and great breakfasts.

For the price paid, the rooms are a little small, especially the bathrooms, where the shower was one of the poorest I've come across in the USA, with a very weedy supply of water.

• Liked — Location, breakfasts
  • Disliked — Shower
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Inglenook
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#2 of 17 in Portsmouth
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to The Inn at Strawbery Banke? Share your experiences!