“Easily the best Sushi north of Boston”
Review of Shio

Shio
Ranked #56 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've been here a hundred times, literally, since they opened. The service is great, your greeted at the door, people are friendly, and the food is amazing.

It's a few miles outside downtown Portsmouth, off Route 1 by Water Country, and well worth the travel.

Super menu, with tons of tradition and non-traditional items. The special roles, each named for what appears to be someone local or frequent, are def. worth trying.

If you're going for lunch or dinner, I'd suggest arriving a bit early, or calling ahead to get a sense of their load - the place gets PACKED.

The trick to getting served quickly is to order in a couple waves... starters right off (the tuna avocado salad is wicked) with a beverage, then take some time and put your actual order(s) in.

1  Thank tomodojo

Reviewed 19 August 2014

we eat here once a week, our reservations are always honored and the owners never fail to say hello
The food is excellent and very fresh
If you looking for sushi in the Portsmouth NH area done miss Shio

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I went here for lunch based on the great reviews and it's spot on. We both had the bento boxes which include soup and a salad great value for the money. Our granddaughter just shared with us and the staff could not have been nicer to her. Would highly recommend if you like Japanese food. It's in a shopping plaza on route 1 south of Portsmouth downtown

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Shio's is the best Japanese restaurant in the NH Seacoast! When they added the Yakitori menu, I was ecstatic! Japanese comfort food like mom used to make and just as good! I've never had a bad meal there (and I've been there a lot!) and I can have anything from sashimi to steak! Great variety of sushi options and a very enthusiastic wait staff that all help in making sure you're enjoying yourself.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I don't eat out very often, but happened to be on Lafayette Road at lunch time. Because of the reviews, I ordered take out lunches including a bento box, creamy noodles and chicken teriyaki.
Everything was yummy! The service was quick. The prices were reasonable. I would highly recommend checking this place out.