“Very Fair and Accomodating”

Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I had a situation whereas I had to cancel due to extenuating circumstances a prepaid room and was charged the full amount on my credit card. Because I am a long time Marriott Rewards member I called and asked the folks at the hotel to work with me. Despite them not having to credit my account they did and I am appreciative. This speaks volumes about the people running this hotel. They are very fair. Based on the rave reviews I will be staying here the next time I am in Portsmouth. By the way, Amanda was the manager that I spoke with.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for reviewing your experience with our hotel for the TripAdvisor community. I'm pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your cancellation and we hope to host you in the future.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Very nice hotel in a good spot in Portsmouth. Staff is top notch - very helpful and really wanted to be sure that I knew where to find all of the good spots in town, particularly restaurants (you'll want to make sure to get out to some of the incredible restaurants in town). Room was very nice and the staff even helped me check in early.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CharlieandCrew
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the 5-star review on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to hear that you found or staff to be top notch and that you enjoyed your stay overall. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to hosting your next visit to Portsmouth.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here over Thanksgiving. The location is very convenient. You can walk to many great restaurants, bars and shops in the downtown area. Breakfast in included with your stay. There are lots of great choices, including hot options, like eggs, bacon and even waffles (which make on your own). There is a nice bar in the lobby area with lots of areas to spread out. If I am ever in the area again, I will be sure to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RAKfromMD
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the 5-star review on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your visit and that our location and amenities accommodated all of your needs. Thank you for your business and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Portsmouth.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I would like to point out how your staff made me feel right at home. Very friendly and attentive to my needs. Especially Daniela and Maria. They are very professional and observant to the customers needs. They made my month stay very enjoyable. I hope to return soon. Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Ernie2983

Ernie,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to offer valuable feedback. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff's hospitality made you feel at home during your month-long visit. I will be sure to pass your compliments along to Daniela and Maria and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Portsmouth.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Our housekeeper accidentally threw away a bag with a shoe box in it that also held the receipt for a pair of boots I had purchased in Massachusetts that I was going to return. Heather Fournier, the Front Desk Supervisor, took it upon herself to return the boots to the local store and returned with a full cash refund. That is the definition of great customer service, actually it was beyond that.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ray R
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Spring-like weather and a great staff made for a great weekend at the Portsmouth Residence Inn. I booked three rooms: A connecting suite for my daughter,her family and my wife and myself and a studio for my son. We had rooms 502,504, and 508. We checked in Friday night around 8:45 p.m. after stopping for dinner at Newicks in Dover, NH. It is about 5 miles from Portsmouth and they have great seafood! Try the lobster nachos!

The hotel staff had called ahead on Thursday to confirm our reservation requests. I had requested feather free pillows, a pack'n play in both of the suites, connecting suites, and a high floor. Amazingly, all the requests were honored! The valet parking is $18.00/day and the staff was helpful and quick to get our car when needed.

Heather (One of several nice young ladies and gentlemen who work the front desk.) checked us in and we were up to our rooms in a flash. (My daughter had to wait until Saturday morning to arrive because my grandson was not feeling well.) We have stayed here several times and love how clean and well maintained the hotel is kept. The location is walking distance to all of downtown Portsmouth.

We went to breakfast early Saturday morning. Breakfast included eggs, bacon, waffles, juice, coffee etc. Marija who was coordinating the restaurant area last Fall, was there again. She instantly recognized us, especially my 2 year-old grandson, Ben. She not only made us waffles, but entertained Ben our 8 month-old Emily while we ate. She was great!

The weather was about 50 degrees and sunny! We walked to Popovers and had, what else, popovers around noon time. We visited the toy store downtown and some kids' clothing stores. It was so nice to walk around in sweatshirts after this frigid winter!

We arrived back at the hotel around 4 p.m. and sat in the lobby.The lobby has several big screen tv's. Heather (from the front desk on Friday night.)came by and was opening the bar. She said it opened at 5 p.m. but served me some drinks around 4:30 as my wife and I had the baby sleeping in her stroller. Thank you Heather!

We went to Poco's Saturday night and crashed back at the hotel around 8:00p.m. It's tough getting old!

Sunday morning breakfast included sausage, biscuits and gravy and eggs. All was very good. Marija was again great serving us and playing with Ben and Emily.

After breakfast, my wife and daughter drove the 3 miles to go shopping at the Kittery Outlets. I took Ben swimming in the indoor pool.. The pool is meticulously clean and warm. After a 40 minute swim we went back to the room and took a nap.

We checked out at 12:45 p.m. The final room bills were perfect. We drove over the bridge (about a mile.) to Warren's Lobster House for lobster rolls and then drove home.

Thanks to all the staff for making our weekend trip great fun! We'll be back in the Fall if not sooner.

Room Tip: Our rooms were extremely quiet. Far from the elevators.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevbat
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for your repeat patronage of our hotel and for taking the time to review your recent stay. I'm happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and took advantage of everything downtown Portsmouth has to offer. I will pass your compliments along to the staff and we look forward to hosting your next visit.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

We have stayed here many times...the location, comfort and service can not be beat. But, this was the first time we stayed in a blizzard! We arrived at the height of the storm after a harrowing drive from Logan Airport in Boston. We could not find the pull up area for check in as it was snowed in. But the Valets rushed out to our car, leaping over big snowbanks and escorted us and our luggage safely inside the hotel. They then took care of our car immediately. As we had not eaten we headed to the downstairs bar to inquire what may be open (the city was at a standstill) and we need not have worried for the hotel was busy making pizza for all the guests and all the poor people that got stranded as well! We sat with a martini and hot pizza and watched the storm outside in front of the fireplace...bliss. The staff went above and beyond in every instance to make everyone safe and comfortable, and the atmosphere was warm, cozy, and so welcoming with the raging storm outside. As their rooms have full kitchens you don't have to worry about going out in the storm and guess what? The staff will grocery shop for you! Just leave your shopping list at the front desk and like magic your groceries are delivered to your room! We love this place! Always our first choice in Portsmouth...and we have stayed at all the local hotels. Trust me, you will come back again and again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pjofnh
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your repeat patronage of our hotel. I'm happy to hear that we are always your first choice in Portsmouth. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and with the TripAdvisor community; we appreciate your feedback. I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to the staff and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Portsmouth.