“Extremely awesome staff!”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Chula Vista, California
“Extremely awesome staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed here on business for 3 months from California. The staff truly made this my home away from home. Although there was no restaurant the daily social hour was quite a treat and the fact that they also had fresh breakfast every morning was also fantastic.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your recent extended stay with us and for taking the time to review your experience. We're happy to hear that we were able to provide you with a home away from home while you were traveling for business. We appreciate your feedback and hope to host your next visit to Portsmouth.

Christopher Moulton, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Let me start off by saying that I've been to many hotels in my life, but this one has the friendliest staff bar none, from the valet, reception, breakfast attendant and housekeeping everyone has a smile and always takes the time to say ''hello''.

The room was very clean, our housekeeper (Alexis) even took the time to write us a little note wishing us a Happy Easter and a safe trip home.

We stayed in room 202, it's a suite with full kitchen located at the end of the hall , which made it nice and quiet.

The breakfast is always stocked full with a big variety of fresh hot and cold food.

I chose this hotel based on reviews and location and neither disappointed, it is located within walking distance of many great restaurants and shopping.

This is now our hotel of choice when visiting Portsmouth, and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Donald,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the 5-star review on TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear that you took advantage of our convenient downtown location and enjoyed everything Portsmouth has to offer. We appreciate your compliments to our staff; we strive to make every guest feel at home when staying with us and we're happy to have succeeded during your visit. We appreciate your feedback and hope you'll make us your home away from home in Portsmouth.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Really enjoyed our stay here--the staff made us feel very welcome from the moment we arrived! We had a very spacious and nicely appointed room. This is a great time of year to come because there aren't so many tourists and the weather is nice, but you don't have the summer hotel rates. The breakfast was very generously served and the person in charge of it (from Spain, didn't catch her name) did a great job keeping everything in order.
Some minor comments (not much the hotel can do about their guests so really no one's fault here): The walls were a little thin between floors. No idea what the people upstairs were doing, but they had a dog and seemed to be moving furniture late at night. Maybe request the top floor if you want the most quiet? Also, there were a lot of kids the weekend we stayed here. Most of them well behaved, but they were often screaming and it was difficult to find a time when the pool area wasn't overrun (no hot tub here, unfortunately). Basically, if you have dogs or kids, this is a very welcoming place and still pleasant for the rest of us, all things considered.

Room Tip: The walls were a little thin between floors. No idea what the people upstairs were doing, but they h...
1 Thank cherie r
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Cherie,

Thank you for choosing us to host your anniversary stay; we're happy to hear that the staff made you feel welcome and that all of your needs were accommodated during your visit. We appreciate your 5-star recommendation to the TripAdvisor community and look forward to hosting your next visit to beautiful Portsmouth.

Windsor Locks, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I recently stayed at the hotel and had a great experience. Marija did an excellent job welcoming all guests to the breakfast area and was extremely personable. She shared with me the fact that she was from Macedonia and a little about her homeland. I appreciated the conversation and was happy to learn more about her country. Francesca was very helpful with a small printing request that I needed last minute. I've stayed several times and have never been let down. Keep up the great work!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dave,

Thank you for your repeat patronage of our hotel and for reviewing your recent stay. We're happy to hear that you've consistently enjoyed your visits to our property and that you've always found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We appreciate your feedback and I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to Marija and Francesca. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Chris Moulton, GM
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband and I had looked forward to having a lovely stay in Portsmouth; we flew in from Switzerland and South Sudan if that gives any indication of how far we'd come. We found that while our corner room on the 5th floor had great potential, lots of space, and was comfy enough, being woken up at 6:15 in the morning by the construction of the new Hampton Inn wasn't our idea of pleasant. Staff were friendly enough, although I had to laugh when I complained and the receptionist offered me "free parking" -- I had to tell her we didn't have a car! The manager ended up giving us a room on our 4th night for half price, but the booking we made on Hotels.com made it impossible for us to get any sort of discount on our hotel. Nice enough breakfast, free papers etc. in the morning and cookies and snacks during Happy Hour.

Room Tip: We would recommend always asking for a room on the other side of the building (away from the constru...
Green Features: Indeed the hotel seemed to have many good "green" features about it.
1 Thank worldtravelertrainer
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I sincerely apologize that your relaxation was interrupted by ambient noise. I hope that we were able to make it up to you in some small way and assure you that your comfort is our number one priority. Please accept my apology and I hope you'll give us another chance to demonstrate our commitment to providing you with an excellent stay the next time you're in Portsmouth.

Chris Moulton, GM
River Vale, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I had a situation whereas I had to cancel due to extenuating circumstances a prepaid room and was charged the full amount on my credit card. Because I am a long time Marriott Rewards member I called and asked the folks at the hotel to work with me. Despite them not having to credit my account they did and I am appreciative. This speaks volumes about the people running this hotel. They are very fair. Based on the rave reviews I will be staying here the next time I am in Portsmouth. By the way, Amanda was the manager that I spoke with.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for reviewing your experience with our hotel for the TripAdvisor community. I'm pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your cancellation and we hope to host you in the future.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Very nice hotel in a good spot in Portsmouth. Staff is top notch - very helpful and really wanted to be sure that I knew where to find all of the good spots in town, particularly restaurants (you'll want to make sure to get out to some of the incredible restaurants in town). Room was very nice and the staff even helped me check in early.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CharlieandCrew
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for the 5-star review on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to hear that you found or staff to be top notch and that you enjoyed your stay overall. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to hosting your next visit to Portsmouth.