Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“At the Bar”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My bartender Francesca was very friendly and the service well to say simply, it was excellent... if my drink was getting to the end she would always ask if I were ready for another one which is refreshing since some of my past experiences at some other places i've had not so great service... Francesca was very professional at her job and I appreciated the attention while I was at the bar.

Troy

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Troy,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to review your experience for TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear that Francesca provided you with 5-star service at the bar. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to pass your compliments along to Francesca. We look forward to hosting your next visit to Portsmouth.

Best,
Christopher Moulton, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Not only were the rooms and common areas beautiful and clean, but the staff went above and beyond the call of duty on numerous occasions. I stayed there for my best friends wedding, as well as 50+ other guests who attended the wedding. The front desk staff treated us so well from check in to check out. Accomodating every request including one amazing one; The maid of honor forgot her flowers in the brides suite. I called while we were in the limo 5 minutes away from the Church and spoke with a very nice young lady (I forget her name...SORRY!!) who listened to my problem spoke with her manager and then told me that her manager was on the way to the brides suite to get them flowers and drive them all the way to Newburyport where the wedding was. (30 minutes away) The manager made it there just seconds before the maid of honor was to walk down the aisle! Unbelievable service. At checkout i was confronted by Francesca and Lauren R. who listened to my story called over the door guys to help me and my girlfriend with our bags and wished us a safe ride home. All in all, a great experience to say the least. Thank you!

Room Tip: They are all great.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Brian,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your experience for TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear that we provided you with an excellent wedding stay and that our team exhibited outstanding customer service during your visit. We appreciate your feedback and your 5-star recommendation to the travel community and look forward to hosting your next visit to Portsmouth.

Best,
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I spent a small fortune for a suite that looked over a rooftop and the side of the Inn. No view. So disappointing. The suite was TINY and the sofabed was horrible. My graduate school aged son offered to sleep there, but the springs protruded from the thin pad they called a mattress. We shared the king bed, which was good. Breakfast was very average - nothing memorable. Had we not been in a hurry to get to a graduation, we would have gone out for breakfast. We went out for dinner in the driving rain and we were disappointed that there were no complimentary umbrellas for us to use. They also charge....I think it was $20/night...to park our car. The two positive notes I can mention is that all the staff we dealt with were polite and friendly and the room was clean and relatively new.

Room Tip: If you're booking a suite, ask for one that doesn't look out on the back of the building.
1 Thank Carinmaine
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for offering valuable feedback. We appreciate your compliments regarding our staff and accommodations; however, we're sorry to hear that you were disappointed with other aspects of your stay. In regard to the pull-out, we've just purchased new pillow top covers for our sofa beds to ensure our guests' comfort. I hope you'll visit us again and give us another opportunity to provide you with a 5-star stay.

Southern California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is your typical, but new, Residence Inn. That's a good thing in our book. They maintain a great level of cleanliness and service. The rooms are spacious and you can really spread out, get some work done and see the sights. We walked everywhere, the location is perfect. The staff was extremely helpful. We purchased too many items and they took care of shipping everything home in the cheapest and most expeditious manner. The lobby was larger than most with plenty of meeting space. Breakfast was the usual, good, set up. We didn't experience the noise issues noted by others.

Room Tip: Always ask for a high floor and far from an elevator.
Green Features: This hotel maintains a high level of environmentally conscious practices. It can be seen throughout the property. You'll be impressed!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Very clean with a very attentive staff, but by far the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. As others have posted, you hear everything...yes everything..conversations from the room above you..water (PVC drains are noisy), walking, the squeaky door above and besides you..Not really typical ambient noise for a hotel...the banging as you walk..like a three decker house. It seems like a very nice but flimsy bldg with not much noise abatement at all. It is a real shame given the great service, location etc. If I came back, I would ask for the top floor.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor.
Green Features: Good..doing their part. The master switches make it easy to shut off the lights as well as turn them on when you return.
2 Thank Vinny T
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Vinny,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for offering valuable feedback. While we're pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient downtown Portsmouth location, friendly staff, and clean accommodations, I sincerely apologize for the ambient noise that disturbed your sleep during your stay with us. We are currently looking into noise dampening solutions and hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a restful, comfortable stay.

Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here for a girls' weekend and found it a great home base. The hotel is quite new (or newly renovated) and very clean with suites including a bedroom, bath, seating area and kitchenette. It's in a good location within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Not luxe accommodations, but very clean and highly functional.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed there for one night coming from Boston heading towards Portland. The rooms and the beds seemed to be pretty new and I felt very comfortable in this room. The only thing I missed in my room was a desk with a chair to work with the notebook. The hotel is in a good location and within walking distance to the market square where you will find most of the restaurants. The hotel has a nice indoor pool and a exercise room mainly for cardio and some weights which more or less fits the purpose. Amanda on the reception is extremly friendly and helpful. Just a dream. Although I did not made this same good experience with some of the others at the reception. I also met a very friendly staff during breakfast, where I can't remember her name. The parking is only Valet and it's pretty costly over night. You' d better try to find a parking lot along the street, where it is free from 7pm to 9am. Definitely a place to come back.
For asian food lovers: go to the 5Thai Bistro (40 Pleasant St, Portsmouth) and have a Massaman Curry for about 15USD. Delicious!

Room Tip: Room 231 towards the main entrance is ok, but there is currently a construction site in front of the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo