“Almost Perfect”

Mombo
Ranked #40 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Court Street
Description: Opened in the Spring of 2010, Mombo’s dining experience is a short vacation from it all offering creative cuisine with international influences, warm hospitality and unparalleled service in a historic Portsmouth, NH landmark. Walk under the wood-beamed ceiling and wrought-iron chandeliers to feel the relaxed elegance of the space. Sit in the fireplace lounge, at the open kitchen bar, in one of the comfy banquettes or even next to the bubbling fountain in the rear courtyard to enjoy the delightful made-from-scratch dishes using fresh, local and honest ingredients. Whether it is the chef’s charcuterie platter, the seared fois gras or our signature lobster bisque that you start your meal with, we want to make you feel as if you have escaped from everyday stresses and leave wanting to come on vacation again at Mombo.
Millville, DE
“Almost Perfect”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Really nice interior and an innovative menu started what was an almost perfect dinner. The menu has a number of intriguing appetizers and main courses, and it took a few minutes to get make selections. Our waitress was excellent and professional and did not engage in chit chat. They also know how to pour a drink at this restaurant. My wife and I started with the duck confit and the melon salad which were superb and blended a variety of flavors and textures to come up with great dishes. The entrees ( lamb sirloin and hangar steak) were perfect. The meats were
perfectly done with superb accompaniments. Only negative is that they could have used a couple of busboys to ease the work load on the wait staff.

• Visited June 2014

Boston
“Enjoyable evening”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Had dinner here on a girls overnight and really enjoyed it. Great space and very friendly staff. Bread plate is very plentiful and unbelievable, so much food! Charcuterie was amazing. Steak, chicken, duck and lamb were all delicious. Really enjoyed our meals and evening. I will definitely come back for the seasonal menu in the fall or winter. We really had a great time and a delicious dinner.

Visited June 2014
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided to try this restaurant after researching it on trip advisor. Great choice. Our waitress, Amanda, couldn't have been nicer. We never felt rushed. Amanda and the maître d welcomed us in this cozy restaurant. We had a couple of martinis to start which were nice sized and their cheese plate was wonderful. Amanda recommended the lamb which was amazing and the swordfish, which my husband said was the best he's ever tasted. This restaurant should be on the top of everyone's list who visits Portsmouth. We only have one regret. We're not dessert eaters but wonder how great the desserts would have been.I can't wait to come back.

Visited May 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Food, Fabulous Art”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The food and service @ Mombo was exceptional. In fact, I'd say it was one of the best meals I have ever had @ a restaurant in the US. I had a scallop dish that was out of this world. My husband had swordfish that was elegantly prepared and extremely tasty. The service was exceptional. Plus, the owner has a fabulous collection of Russian oil paintings. Eating well and then enjoying fine art...life is good.

Visited May 2014
“Great for a wedding!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My friend was married at Mombo last weekend and the entire event was fantastic; a big reason for that was the professionalism and attentiveness of the staff at Mombo! Beautiful venue, great food, great service

• Visited May 2014