“Always a great meal”

Mombo
Ranked #36 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Court Street
Description: Opened in the Spring of 2010, Mombo’s dining experience is a short vacation from it all offering creative cuisine with international influences, warm hospitality and unparalleled service in a historic Portsmouth, NH landmark. Walk under the wood-beamed ceiling and wrought-iron chandeliers to feel the relaxed elegance of the space. Sit in the fireplace lounge, at the open kitchen bar, in one of the comfy banquettes or even next to the bubbling fountain in the rear courtyard to enjoy the delightful made-from-scratch dishes using fresh, local and honest ingredients. Whether it is the chef’s charcuterie platter, the seared fois gras or our signature lobster bisque that you start your meal with, we want to make you feel as if you have escaped from everyday stresses and leave wanting to come on vacation again at Mombo.
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Live in the area and have eaten in almost every Restaurant in Portsmouth and Kittery and Mombo is consistently one of the best. Great meals in a great atmosphere.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We ate at Mombo's this weekend as part of our wedding anniversary celebration. I had duck and my wife had a pork chop. Both meals were excellent. We also split a salad and duck for appetizer's before our meal. The salad was probably the best part of the meal and was amazing. We had a bottle of red wine. The price is quite high $165.00 including tip but it was fine dining in a nice atmosphere with good food. Overall, it was a nice experience and I may consider eating here again if I return to the area. One thing that would prevent me from eating here again is the incredible choices available in town. Portsmouth is a great town with many places to eat. We had a wonderful stay and I would recommend anyone go and visit.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I rarely, and I mean RARELY, give a 5 start review. We had reservations for 4, prior to a Prescott Park concert, but only 2 of us could come. No problem on their end. We were seated upstairs.

The greetings and staff were spot on! We shared the melon salad....crazy combo, and absolutely fun and delicious!

I had the local swordfish w/ a cashew crust, fiddleheads in jasmine rice, curry sauce...KILLER!

My sweetie had the braised short rib, and all I can say is it was over the top......we both completely cleaned our plates, and stopped short of licking them!

$10 all evening parking next door at Strawberry Banke, dinner at Mombo, and a concert in the park....doesn't get much better! Just sorry we were too full to try desserts! Next time for sure!

Put it in your top 5 "to go" restaurants in the area for sure! WE DID!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Really nice interior and an innovative menu started what was an almost perfect dinner. The menu has a number of intriguing appetizers and main courses, and it took a few minutes to get make selections. Our waitress was excellent and professional and did not engage in chit chat. They also know how to pour a drink at this restaurant. My wife and I started with the duck confit and the melon salad which were superb and blended a variety of flavors and textures to come up with great dishes. The entrees ( lamb sirloin and hangar steak) were perfect. The meats were
perfectly done with superb accompaniments. Only negative is that they could have used a couple of busboys to ease the work load on the wait staff.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Had dinner here on a girls overnight and really enjoyed it. Great space and very friendly staff. Bread plate is very plentiful and unbelievable, so much food! Charcuterie was amazing. Steak, chicken, duck and lamb were all delicious. Really enjoyed our meals and evening. I will definitely come back for the seasonal menu in the fall or winter. We really had a great time and a delicious dinner.