“South of the Border Up North”

Agave Mexican Bistro Dos
Ranked #61 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$13 - US$23
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We often stop in Portsmouth on our way home from ME and we try a different restaurant every time. The Common Man was next on our list but it was closed so we tried Agave. Our good luck!
Service was excellent, particularly the lovely young hostess. Our waiter Kyle led the charge but it seemed that everyone helped to make our dining experience very pleasant. My husband had the chicken mole accompanied by rice and refried beans. The chicken was delicious but I was was really impressed by the refried beans. Unlike the usual gluey mess, these beans were flavorful and had a nice consistency. The cheese topping was similarly delicate and not overpowering. I had soup and grilled salad. The soup was served with avocado. Both were delicioso and they were kind enough to share the grilled salad recipe. My only complaint is that the other vegetables on the plate were not grilled and the dressing was a pedestrian ranch. Flan and coffee for dessert. The flan was very tasty and a little dense. Although we try different restaurants on each visit to Portsmouth we will definitely return to Agave.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

The food is always delicious here. My only complaint is the guacamole. It was very plain. I wish they had a more flavorful guacamole. Other than that everything else way great.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The food and service has always been great here. We enjoyed dinner on New Year's Eve and it was a blast!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Great food and great service. Very different Mexican food. Loved every bite. Would highly recommend to anyone to try the food. I just know they would return and also enjoy it as much as we did.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Some of the best Mexican food I've ever had... Every time I come to Portsmouth I make sure to come here! Not only is the food awesome but the service is always great!