“great catered dinner!”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Boston, Massachusetts
“great catered dinner!”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I used this restaurant as a caterer for my work event last week. The food was upscale, healthy, inventive, and tasted delish. I randomly chose this restaurant for the catering event and was SO pleased with the outcome. We had a dinner for 15 people held at my boss' home near the restaurant. My favorite parts were the shaved brussel sprout and parmesean salad that had a citrus dressing, they made amazing swordfish skewers that were tender and juicy and even tasted great when i had the leftovers for lunch the next day. They brought us the most fabulous dessert - a layered carrot cake and cream trifle type thing in little mason jars. Cute and tasty. I ate about 4 of them.

If i had any other catering needs in the future, I will be using this company.

• Visited August 2013

Newfields, New Hampshire
“great lunch place, a bit off beaten path”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Just had my second outing at The Kitchen in Portsmouth. It is definitely becoming a top choice for lunch. For those familiar with the area, it is similar in some ways to Street with a larger but less exotic menu.

Their menu is fairly extensive with options for soups, sandwiches (hot and cold), hot dogs, burgers, salads, pizza, pasta, quiches, and desserts. They even have a small bar indoors as well as an outside patio for eating. Both times I've been I've had sandwiches (one was a Cuban sandwich and another the Porchetta). Of the two I'd recommend the Cuban over the Porchetta but both were tasty. I also took home a slice of the sweet potato frittata and Mexican coffee brownie that they offered. Both were delicious.

Those I were with had ordered other menu options like the cobb salad, meatball sub and curry turkey sandwich. Although I didn't taste any of them, everyone agreed that their meal was good.

The only real downside is that there is only street side parking and it can be a bit busy at lunch. Its also not in the downtown area, so will likely remain a top choice for locals only for some time. If you get a chance, I'd recommend checking it out.

• Visited May 2013
Port Clyde, Maine
“Perfect lunch spot”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Stopped by for lunch and were delighted with the variety of sandwiches, both hot and cold. Love the pickles and salads and especially the cole slaw. Friendly folks both staff and guests. Can't wait to get back there to try more.

• Visited February 2013
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Neighborhood sandwich bar with big-city stylin'”
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I love this place! It is a sandwich bar, but LORDY! What sandwiches! They do their own charcuterie, make their own pickles, make their own gelato. It's unbelievable how much different stuff they can do themselves, and do it well. I'm hard pressed to mention a favorite sandwich, as I've never had a dud. They also serve these little fried potato ball things, like tater tots, but WAAAAAY better. Those are a must-share, if you're with others. Oh, and they serve beer now. I'm a little surprised at the reviewers here who say that The Kitchen was "ok" or "didn't meet expectations." Heck, whaddaya want out of a sandwich place? Chateaubriand pour deux? They have gourmet deli case salads, creative, fresh and delicious sandwiches, and a few entrees for those who want a dinner plate. My expectations for those types of foods have always been exceeded at this joint.

• Visited December 2012
New England
“Outstanding sandwiches”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

My husband and I ate lunch here recently and enjoyed the food, the service and the setting. I ordered the special of the day, which was an Italian tuna panini (essentially their Italian tuna sandwich with a slice of provolone and grilled)--fabulous. The cole slaw is excellent, too. My husband is not as adventurous, so he ordered a plain burger, but seemed satisfied. We recommended the restaurant to friends, who went the next day and ordered soup and the reuben, and they also gave the place high scores. The staff was especially friendly and helpful, but not intrusive.

• Visited January 2013