“Outstanding and just OK....”
Review of Surf

Surf
Ranked #3 of 204 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We took the opportunity presented today and ate dinner at the Surf. Deb had Crab Louie Salad that was absolutely delicious. The mix of lettuce, vegetables, crab and dressing were just perfect - yes I tried it several times when Deb was distracted by the great river views. I had the Haddock dinner - the fish was fresh, but really lacked any flavor - the vegetables were bland and had simply been boiled or steamed. Perfect for someone on a low fat diet - which I am not. Oh, and we had the shrimp and spinach appetizer - very tastes and perfectly prepared. I think this place really does know seafood, as all three dishes were properly prepared - my main course simply lacked a flavor that would set it apart from the Dinnerhorn, Petey's or the Lobster Boat - which I think are all better preparers of Haddock. Come on Surf -WOW us next time.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

2 girlfriends & I had lunch here on a Sat. No wait but that's rare for prime time. We loved everything we ordered. We just shared it all: crab cakes, lobster grilled cheese w/sweet potato fries, fish tacos- their special...I can't remember which flavor but they all looked awesome! Our waiter was great too. We'll be back here for sure!

1  Thank Kala D
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Had a 30 minute wait for balcony table on a Saturday at 6:00 but made the best of it by sampling the sushi at Surf Sushi Bar--really great! Went here to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday. Had a phenomenal meal--out-of-this world crab cakes, heavenly, warm lobster roll, over-the-top fish tacos and cod special and finished with the most delicious coconut creme brûlée! Dine here and you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Recommended by locals and our hotel staff! That's saying something. We found many restaurants didn't take reservations for two, but asked you to call thirty minutes in advance to be put on the wait list. Works like a charm. We got a terrific table at the window with a beautiful water view. Service was excellent. Food was good and plentiful! Overall a nice experience and a romantic evening.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Enjoyed our dinner here, overlooking Portsmouth Harbour. Made the mistake of ordering both starter and main! Too much food!

Food was good but what we mainly enjoyed was the location and casual atmosphere. Also a great place for a couple drinks with nibbles.