“weekend getaway”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Portland, United States
“weekend getaway”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

the free shuttle to downtown was a nice feature. the lobby had free happy hour, it was Kentucky derby weekend so very lively. the room accommodations were great, large whirlpool tub in the room was very nice

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Carol D,
Thank you for your review and recommendation! We’re so glad you enjoy staying with us; we greatly appreciate your business and taking the time to share your comments.

Yours truly,
Cathi Tingley, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Laconia, NH, United States
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We usually stay at Hampton Inns when we have the opportunity due to their quality an excellent value. The Portsmouth Hampton Inn was no exception. The staff was courteous and helpful and the room was clean, quiet and relaxing. We would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Robert S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel and for recommending us. I will pass along all of your comments to our team during our next weekly meeting. We look forward to seeing you again!

NJ
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I had booked two king rooms for three nights this past April. I requested early check-in. When we arrived, we could not be checked in early. OK fine, I know there is no way they can promise early check-in. But, the unhelpful, though pleasant woman at the desk informed us she could not promise our rooms would be ready At 3 PM, the hotels stated check-in time! The reason? Because "King rooms are at a premium." Huh?

We left and drove over the border to Maine where we found a lovely mom and pop establishment, the Sparhawk, and they let us check in immediately.

They clearly state the hotel policy is you may cancel up until 5;59 PM the DAY YOU ARE SCHEDULED TO CHECK IN. We settle into our room in Maine and I cancel the reservation. I go online and begin checking my credit cards as I always do, and I see they charged my card OVER $600.00!!! And half of that the night before we were due to check in!!! Both charges made overnight! A complaint to the general manager yielded the following response, via e-mail:

Christina, I have responded to Booking.com as well. The charges you see are not actual charges, they are authorizations for your two rooms. We did not receive a cancellation from Booking.com and I am trying to find out where that happened. However, I know you spoke with Andrew last night and the authorization will fall off of your card. Discover should see that these are authorizations only and not charges and be able to release. We have not actually made any charges.

Regarding why the authorizations occurred at night~ It is the function on Night Auditor to put through the charges and authorizations. This is common.

I did let Booking.com know that we would not be charging you.

Thank you for reaching out to me. Sorry you had to cancel your stay with us. I do hope you come back this way again.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Cathi Tingley
General Manager I Hampton Inn Portsmouth

REALLY? I have NEVER had a hotel charge me BEFORE my stay when hotel policy allowed me to cancel my room!! And while they were not actual "charges" they still tied up no small chunk of change for he duration of my vacation! Thankfully, we were not planning to use that particular card for that vacation so that didn't matter so much to us but it might to others.

I would never consider staying at this property again!

If you book this property, know they will charge the card you use in the middle of the night and a full 24 hours before you are scheduled to arrive, even though their policy is that you may cancel the day of you stay before 6 PM.

Room Tip: I suppose any room with doo as this is right off the highway with no view worthwhile.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
LadySith,
Thank you for your review about your experience. We are glad we were able to work with Booking.com to clear up the matter.

Trois-Rivìeres, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Overall rating at 10 stars :) The check-in (late one) was very fast. The room was perfect and the next day, we slept lately and we think that we had no chance get something in the complimentary brekfast. I was very surprised that they refill everything to the last minute. Pool was HOT like the wirlpool :) So very good experience. 10 minutes from the Kittery Outlet and right in front of a big Mall :)

Gabriel R,
Thanks very much for your review; it’s great to know you enjoyed the hotel and we can’t wait to see you again!

Yours truly,
Putnam, United States
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Really enjoyed our time at this hotel. Hotel furnishings were up to date and comfortable. Enjoyed the pool/hot tub and my 16 yr old son really enjoyed the fact that they even had a basketball hoop out back and you could get basketballs at the desk to use with it.

Grace T,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel and for recommending us! We’re glad your son enjoyed the basketball court. I will be sure to pass along your comments to our staff We look forward to seeing you and your family again!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

As with all Hampton Inns I stay at, great pleasant service, free breakfast and this one also has cookies in the lobby when you come home at night....nice homey touch. This trip there was also a manager's happy hour, a very civilized treat after a long day out and about.

319christopherm,
Thank you for your review and recommendation We’re so glad you enjoy staying with us; we greatly appreciate your business and taking the time to share your comments.

Holyoke, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I was in the area on business and upon checking in saw there were a lot of large groups of teens and adults, appeared to be basketball teams (tournaments in the area maybe?) so every amenity was dominated by them and the noise level was high. I find it troubling that the adults were louder than the kids and thought nothing of shouting in the hallways with no regard for time or place. The bed was comfortable and the room clean. Complimentary bottled water should be offered by ALL hotels, including this one....but overall the stay was ok.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Kelifus1,
Thanks so much for your review and recommendation! We appreciate hearing from you and taking the time to share your comments. All feedback is valuable to us so that we can perfect our guests’ experiences. Your business is important to us and we hope to seeing you again!

Best regards,